+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1.5 million & Other Thoughts

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    1.5 is my estimate of how much money we really need annually to hire and retain a good football coaching staff. It does no good to hire even a good head coach if he doesn't have any money to hire competent assistants. And a portion of their salaries should be tied to incentives based on attendance, wins and bowl wins.

Joe Peace was actually a pretty good head coach and he had assembled a very good group of assistants - Petey Perot, Steve ensminger, John thompson, jerry baldwin are some of the ones I remember. But he was unable to keep them because we could not offer them even a competetive 1-A salary.

As for the rest of this year, I would junk the spread offense because our coaches obviously have no idea how to run it. Put another tight end in the backfield and just grind it out with Moats and throw every now and then. It makes no sense to run a high risk offense and throw 90% of your passes within 4 yards of the line of scrimmage.

On defense I would blitz on almost every down and play press coverage. The results could not be any worse than what we have seen in the last few games.

Just my 2 cents.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    I tend to agree. With our defense, we need to do whatever we can to hold onto the ball. Scoring quickly only puts the other team back on the field to run through our defense like a bull down the streets of Madrid. Long, sustained drives may be our only hope to win the last three games.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Varsity Bulldog Omaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really nice Omaha Bulldog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech77
    Long, sustained drives may be our only hope to win the last three games.

You have to be kidding. None of the teams we have lost to are bad teams, but the three remaining teams on our schedule are bad teams. I am very disappointed in our effort last week at LSU and the coaching against Fresno, Boise, and Hawaii, but even with Jack and Conroy running things, we can, and should, beat SMU, Tulsa, and Rice.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    I wouldn't say Tulsa is a bad team and Rice is coming on as of late.

Varsity Bulldog Omaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really nice Omaha Bulldog's Avatar
    TULSA SCHEDULE/RESULTS

Aug 30, 2003 at Minnesota 10-49 L
    Sep 6, 2003 at Arkansas 13-45 L
    Sep 13, 2003 TEXAS STATE W 41-15
    Sep 20, 2003 ARKANSAS STATE W 54-7
    Oct 4, 2003 HAWAI'I W 27-16
    Oct 11, 2003 at Boise State 20-27 L
    Oct 18, 2003 NEVADA 21-28 L
    Oct 25, 2003 SMU W 35-16
    Nov 1, 2003 at UTEP W 56-28

RICE SCHEDULE/RESULTS

Aug 30, 2003 at Houston 14-48 L
    Sep 13, 2003 at Duke O 24-27 L
    Sep 20, 2003 #13 TEXAS 7-48 L
    Sep 27, 2003 at Hawai'i 21-41 L
    Oct 4, 2003 SAN JOSE STATE W 28-24
    Oct 18, 2003 NAVY 6-38 L
    Oct 25, 2003 at Fresno State 28-31 L
    Nov 1, 2003 NEVADA W 52-42

What about the above makes you think Tulsa is not a bad team and that Rice is coming on as of late? Tulsa's only decent win was over Hawaii, which we would have done if not for a terrible 3rd and 4th down coaching. And Rice has only beat San Jose and Nevada with a 32 point loss to Navy between those wins.

Of course, with our defense, anything is possible for an opponent. But I just don't think it is likely if the team doesn't give up.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Since Tulsa held Hawaii to only 16 points, it's pretty obvious that the Hurricane did a much better job of stopping the Bows than Tech did.

HD

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha Bulldog

Of course, with our defense, anything is possible for an opponent. But I just don't think it is likely if the team doesn't give up.
    Considering that all the they had left to play for was the LSU game, and considering their performance in that game, I'd be willing to bet they've given up.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    And last time I looked - we only squeaked by UTEP by 3...

With this coaching staff there is NO easy out...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha Bulldog
    You have to be kidding... ...even with Jack and Conroy running things, we can, and should, beat SMU, Tulsa, and Rice.
    Did you forget about last season when Jack and Conroy were running things? Have you seen our defense lately?

SMU AND RICE WERE WINLESS when we played them last year and WE GAVE THEM THEIR FIRST VICTORY.

We smacked Tulsa around last year, but they are vastley improved AND the game is in Tulsa. NOT AN EASY WIN, especially with Jack and Conroy running things!

I hope you are right, but I have no confidence in our coaching staff to adequately prepare this team.

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    Hey EJ!!

Last time I looked, Conroy didn't have a DAMN thing to do with the "Swiss Cheese" Defense that we are putting out on the field... In fact, our offense has been pretty damn good, until we ran into the #2 defense in the country... How 'bout Jack and Rick/Randy running things?!!!

I am so sick of people ripping on Conroy Hines and blaming all our problems on him b/c we don't score 100 points per game!!!

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar
    I agree, Memdawg. Some people just don't get it! We have had problems scoring this year (especially inside the red zone), but we've scored enough points to win on numerous occasions, but the defense seemed to crumble. Let's get the defense back on track and see what happens!!!

TD
    ~~

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    Let's fire the Yankee and move on!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bring in the WM staff or the NSU staff!!! I don't care, I just want somebody that knows where Pitkin La is and can coach a damn football team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JVIII is one of those "unintended consequenses" of bringing in Crowton as the HC...

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    Have you seen our defense lately?
    See message above. I KNOW defense is a major problem. But, who was responsible for NOT starting MOATS? His running (and blocking for him) was the ONLY reason Hawaii did not blow us out of the stadium.

I am upset at the person that called a screen pass every 3 out of 4 plays at LSU. And, it has been the same crap for 3 years.

I love ya Mem and Techsas, but offense is still part of the problem. Would CH do a better job under a new HEAD coach that had some gonads? Perhaps.

We probably won't get the chance to see that!!

C'roy is my buddy, so I'll stand by him!! He's done a decent job, not perfect by any means.... We have much bigger fish to fry, IMO...
    An offense is able to do many more things when they aren't coming out of a 21 point hole, every f'ng game!!!!

FIRE THE YANKEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Just be there Saturday!
    Pound the ponies!

+ Reply to Thread