+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star-Telegram article concerning TCU and MWC - looks good...

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    TCU officials deny getting MWC offer
    By Wendell Barnhouse;Damien Pierce
    Star-Telegram Staff Writers

TCU officials are denying that a decision has been made about accepting a possible invitation to join the Mountain West Conference. But momentum appears to be building for the MWC to expand and to invite TCU.

On Tuesday, as TCU's current league, Conference USA, announced the addition of SMU, Rice, Tulsa, Marshall and Central Florida, MWC commissioner Craig Thompson said he is in favor of his league expanding. He expects a decision on expansion from the MWC presidents in early December.

TCU athletic director Eric Hyman and provost William Koehler said the school is studying the costs of such a potential move but denied reports that TCU had been invited to join the MWC and that a decision on MWC expansion was expected soon.

Thomspon also denied the reports, saying "There is no invitation imminent."

A source with knowledge of the conference realignment situation said Tuesday that the MWC wants to expand by one or possibly two teams, and that TCU tops the MWC list.

"TCU would probably like another school to be included, which would make it easier to schedule a travel partner for TCU," the source said. "There really isn't much of a difference in advantages between a nine-team or a 10-team league."

MWC's presidents had a "thorough and detailed" discussion of expansion issues during a conference call Monday.

"We discussed nine, 10, 11 and 12 members, plus staying at eight," Thompson said. "The presidents are looking at more information about future television and Bowl Championship Series negotiations. They want to know what the potential of additional members would mean to those situations."

Thompson said that the presidents did discuss specific schools, and that there are "less than eight" schools on the MWC target list. Those schools are apparently TCU, New Mexico State, Utah State, Boise State, Hawaii, Nevada, Fresno State and UT-El Paso.

Thompson would not speculate on what the MWC presidents would decide.

"My gut feeling, as commissioner: I think we should expand," Thompson said. "The renegotiation of our TV contracts, our market share, scheduling opportunities are all some of the reasons to expand.

"How many? I don't think 12 is the number. Nine might be right. Or 10. I think we can strengthen ourselves with additional members."

The MWC has agreements with three bowls: Liberty, Las Vegas and San Francisco.

"There are potential candidates that would deliver or bring with them bowl berths," Thompson said.

That would include TCU (the first-year Fort Worth Bowl), UTEP (the Sun Bowl), Boise State (the Humanitarian Bowl) and Hawaii (the Hawaii Bowl).

Thompson said when and if the MWC decides to expand it would happen quickly, with invitations after an announcement.

"We have not planned a meeting with the Mountain West," TCU's Hyman said. "There is nothing imminent. We're gathering information, and it's way too premature to suggest something would happen this week. Once we gather all the facts, we'll sit down and have the necessary dialogue.

"Before we proceed, we have a responsibility to the institution to make sure we have all the facts and that we are doing due diligence to figure out a decision. We're still getting the lay of the land."

TCU's board of trustees will have their regular meetings Thursday and Friday.

"I would imagine there will be some talk about the conference situation [at the board meeting], but there is no action expected to be asked for by the AD," Koehler said. "There are no plans to my knowledge that we will be making any decisions this week.

"We have not been invited to join another conference, and we're committed to C-USA right now. We're going to keep all of our options open."

TCU officials have privately expressed their concerns about the strength and viability of the new C-USA alignment -- in particular, the football programs at SMU and Tulsa.

A move to the MWC could help TCU continue to build the national profile of its football program. And with the 8-0 Frogs facing the possibility of an undefeated season going largely unrewarded, switching leagues for the fourth time in less than a decade makes sense.
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    If they want more bowl games for the MWC and expand to 10 as their commissioner implied, look for TCU and Boise St. to go to the MWC.

Big Dog Bulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really nice
    If this is true and TCU goes to the MWC, what are the chances that Tech is left out again? Is there anybody else they are looking at?( Temple, N.Ill.) Or are we the choice by default, because there is no one else.
    Also, would they consider to stay at 11? The Big 10 has done it. I know they are holding out for ND and that is why they have stayed at 11 for so long, but they have made it work. I don't know what that does to basketball, but should I worry about this at all? Is C-USA dead set on 12?

Somebody help a brother out.

Varsity Bulldog dawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nice dawg419's Avatar
    They would want to get to 12 because 11 doesn't get you a conference championship game. Also having the divisions even helps scheduling. With TCU out, they would want (hope, hope) us to balance the western division. Fingers crossed.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Everything should work out -

It will either be TCU or one of the following pairs...

TCU/Houston
    TCU/Boise
    TCU/Hawaii
    TCU/Fresno

It is not over, but we are down to the FINAL domino...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    and our final chance... for a few more years. It may be too late by then.

Big Dog Bulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really nice
    I wish someone would push that domino over.
    All my time on here is leading to the downfall of public education.

2004 Bowl Confidence & 2006 NIT Bracket Champion hoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nicehoopdawg is just really nice
    If it is TCU/HOUSTON their will be no conference USA because they will drop below 50% members for three years and be disbanded.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Just be there Saturday and Pound the Ponies!

Champ NashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the rough
    That would include TCU (the first-year Fort Worth Bowl), UTEP (the Sun Bowl), Boise State (the Humanitarian Bowl) and Hawaii (the Hawaii Bowl).
    It really chaps my arse that we don't/can't have the same relationship w/ the Indy Bowl. None of us would be freaking out about this if we had a Bowl tied to the school. We would be a no-brainer for Conf-USA. Pipe dreams, I suppose.....

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    Yes, I don't look for us to ever have that strong of a connection with the I Bowl. Too many LSU supporters on the committee for that. I think the bowl will always want a tie with the SEC, hoping for the years when LSU is 6-5 or 6-6 and won't have anywhere else to go. But, I really think the SEC and the Big 12 are nearing the point where they will outgrow the I Bowl.

Think about it. Just a few years ago, LSU's stadium capacity was in the 70,000 range. Arkansas and Ole Miss held about 40,000. Those schools have drastically enlarged their stadiums. With a seating capacity of less than 50,000 the stadium won't be able to hold its current arrangement forever. When that arrangement goes away, I think Conference USA makes a lot of sense for the bowl geograhically. Hopefully, we'll be in that conference.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar
    I don;t know about that because the I-bowl has one of the larger non-BCS game payouts for a bowl game. Something like 2 million or something close to that. Pretty good payout for a team that finishes 6-7th in their league.

I thought I heard that with the expansion of the stadium and the higher payout they were looking to move up the pecking order in the bowl tie-ins. I remember hearing it because it just fueled my disgust for the bowl powers that be.
    Now, that was a few years ago so things might have changed.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar
    The stadium expansion took them back to 50,000 seats! They weren't operating at 50,000 since the CFL team took about 5,000 seats out. The were working on a free pass from the NCAA about having to have 50,000 seats for a bowl game. The pay out of the I bowl is roughly over 1 million a team. The I bowl is run by the same type of far sighted men that are running Tech athletics thats why they get the shaft from the SEC and Big 12 on team selection (yes they share draft order with another bowl for the SEC pick and the other bowl has preference) and like it! They also have had as many sponsors in the last three years as we have had opportunites to improve our over all program and possibly not be in the shape we are right now!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    Everything should work out -

It will either be TCU or one of the following pairs...

TCU/Houston
    TCU/Boise
    TCU/Hawaii
    TCU/Fresno

It is not over, but we are down to the FINAL domino...
    I agree. Everything SHOULD work out for Louisiana Tech. The FW Star Telegram article above confirms several things I posted on the WAC board on Tuesday.

TCU WILL go to the MWC because the MWC needs the increased footbal "power rating" for TV contract negotiations. Boise St. will probably go for the same reasons. Both schools bring solid Bowl games (although the FW Bowl is new), a Top 25 national ranking, and BARGAINING power for the upcoming TV contract negotiations. (Please note the MWC Commissioner's comments about the TV negotiations in the above article.) TCU will also add the huge DFW TV market to the MWC's fold.

I suspect this "MWC" deal is already decided. TCU is probably just negotiating the best deal possible. Fact is, TCU can just about name their price. TCU won't have to pay a fee to join the MWC. In fact, the MWC will probably pay TCU $2 million to join, because the MWC stands to gain $10 million to $20 million more in TV contract dollars with TCU as a member.

I think Louisiana Tech will be joining CUSA. (But that's just my opinion.)

HD

+ Reply to Thread