+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shreve. Times article (opinion) on CUSA & Tech's future.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar
    BRIAN McCALLUM: Tech's C-USA recipe incomplete
    Brian McCallum / The Times
    Posted on November 6, 2003

Those two football wins over Alabama and an additional one over Michigan State are nice. The national recognition the women's basketball team gets is outstanding. They are assets Louisiana Tech uses to sell itself in this new age of free agent conference affiliation.

But winning teams don't equate to conference membership invitations. Marshall and Central Florida have already been asked to join Conference USA now that some of that league's members have agreed to move to the Big East in a few years. Tech's athletic department is at least on the same level.

So what is more appealing about those two? Of course, it's the green stuff. Marshall fills its football stadium and is closer to the East, where population and media power meet. Central Florida has more than 40,000 students and is in Orlando, a larger media market than Florida or Florida State have.

The hope at Tech is that TCU will bolt to the Mountain West and Tech will get the call to take the Horned Frogs' place in C-USA. Whether that happens or not, Tech athletic officials should start paying more attention to its relatively small athletic budget - having spent about $8 million in 2001-02 according to the Chronicle of Higher Education.

SMU spent more than $18 million. Marshall, UAB and Southern Miss spent almost $13 million. Memphis spent $19 million.

For years and years, the athletic department at Tech has worked hard to put together big games and then proclaimed, "OK, here it is. You should be there."

I worked in college athletics for more than 10 years, and that doesn't sell tickets. While Marshall was playing its home games in front of 30,000 fans this year, the Bulldogs were playing Boise State before an announced crowd of 17,859.

Knowing the history of Tech crowd estimates, I'd guess it was around 10,000. You can throw out all the estimates you want, but ghostly fans don't bring in ticket revenues.

Solid marketing will. The Miami game is one of the better marketed games yet by Tech, and the actual crowd - proven by the turnstile count and aerial photos, not what you thought it looked like - was about 32,000. That's poor for the quality of the opponent, but it's a positive improvement for Tech, and it can be built on. Particularly encouraging was the number of 20-somethings wandering around the stadium. Those could be future season-ticket holders, and money will speak much louder than exaggerated attendance figures and a few nice football victories the next time Tech finds itself in a whirlwhind of realignment.

If Tech and Conference USA don't find each other, lick your wounds and get to selling anyway. If they do, bravo, but don't waste the opportunity. Make use of a conference that would put the Bulldogs in what would be a division full of potential draws - Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Rice and, even better, potential in-state rival Tulane.

Good athletes want to play in front of great crowds, and the money will mean higher paid (read that, better) coaches, bigger recruiting budgets and other attractive perks. The next time the Bulldogs go to Tiger Stadium, that could potentially be translated into a chance.

Brian McCallum is a sports writer for The Times. He can be reached at bmccallum@gannett.com or 459-3302.

Varsity Bulldog coona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    What a prick!

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coona$$tiger
    What a prick!
    Why?

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Could this guy be vic the demon or organizer? What a cheapshot.

Varsity Bulldog coona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaDawg
    [quote:ac61aa7ff4="coona$$tiger"]What a prick!
    Why?[/quote:ac61aa7ff4]

Opinion is one thing, but this is slander. He lies! I'd better shut up before...............

the Bulldogs were playing Boise State before an announced crowd of 17,859.

Knowing the history of Tech crowd estimates, I'd guess it was around 10,000

Quote Originally Posted by coona$$tiger
    [quote:b6da05b683="BamaDawg"][quote:b6da05b683="coona$$tiger"]What a prick!
    Why?[/quote:b6da05b683]

Opinion is one thing, but this is slander. He lies! I'd better shut up before...............

the Bulldogs were playing Boise State before an announced crowd of 17,859.

Knowing the history of Tech crowd estimates, I'd guess it was around 10,000
    [/quote:b6da05b683]He did work at Tech so he is basing it on something. Not defending him at all, but I am not sure it is slander. He brings up many good points (not ones I am proud of).

I do see your view to an extent.

MArtie

Big Dog Bulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really niceBulldog44 is just really nice
    That was a jab under the belt.

Champ CaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really nice
    While, I agree with some of what this guy says. He was a little over the edge, no way was only 32,000 in the stands at the end of the first half of the Miami.

I want to see the first person compare the attendance recent I-Bowls and the Miami Game. You show a picture of the end of the first half and I can promise you that more people will be in the picture for the Miami game than the bowl games. I don't see people writing about that.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    The timing of this editorial is what makes it so bad. He knows we are being looked at by C-USA right now and wanted to take a cheap shot. If there were only 32000 at the Miami game that reflects on Shreveport more than it does Tech because this game was marketed. I wonder if he was at the Boise game. Typical of the Shreveport Times.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Here's the email I sent him:

I just read your article about Louisiana Tech waiting on a CUSA invite and don't understand your angle. Being a sportswriter in S'port, I would think you would welcome the opportunity for Louisiana Tech to upgrade it's athletic programs with a move to CUSA. However, that's not the impression I get from reading your article.

I do appreciate your criticism of attendance but stating that an announced attendance of 18,000 is really 10,000 is a bold-faced lie. I realize this is an opinion piece but are you attempting a new career in fiction?

I was disappointed in the crowd at the Miami game. However, I took vacation days away from work and drove from Memphis, TN to be at that game.
    What you fail to realize it that there were thousands of TECH fans throughout the country watching this game on ESPN that night, including over 100 right here in Memphis but the people of north Louisiana sat at home and failed to deliver.

The true fans of Louisiana Tech are not the problem. It's the people of North Louisiana, specifically Shreveport, who have drank the purple and gold kool aid for so long that they don't realize what a boom to the area it would be for TECH to move up in the athletic world. They proved this every year with dismal attendance at the state fair games. Even the last venture into Monroe was a disaster attendance wise.

Yes, 18,000 at a home game in Ruston is a disappointment but it's better than the crowds back in the Southland Conference days.

It you want to take a jab at TECH, start with the coaching staff or the administration which has failed to aggressively pursue excellence. Or better yet start with the citizens of north La. (including you and your newspaper) who have the chance to have something special in their backyard and are missing the opportunity to get behind it and support it. Wouldn't it be great to have something to write about besides ECA or LSU?

You and your newspaper can criticize TECH athletics if you wish, but what are you accomplishing? Are you cutting off your nose to spite your face?

If I'm off-base, let me know.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    It is enough to say we fudge by a couple of thousand but a nearly 50% fudge. Doubtful. I think this guy is afraid that TCU is going to the MWC and Tech will be in a great position compared to ALL north Louisiana schools by moving to CUSA.

That is what a LOT of the naysayers are afraid of. What if the unthinkable scenario comes about for them?

At that point I guess they will go on about how CUSA lost its best programs and is merely a shell of what it used to be. That it is just barely better than the Southland. Tech would still be moving up and this chaps some folks hides .... There SHOULD be support for the Dawgs. A CUSA bid brings folks TO Louisiana because the teams we would play would be MUCH closer. That is increased business. How is this NOT good? Louisiana should be selling Tech to CUSA.

I wish someone would do an estimate to the business impact to Louisiana of a CUSA bid vs us staying in the WAC. It might open some peoples minds ... then again, this is Louisiana.

Some folks are just going to fight any level of success we do acheive tooth and nail. The idiocy is mind boggling.

Varsity Bulldog Gunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her game Gunslinger's Avatar
    McCallum hates Tech!!! JO fired him for not doing his job (SID Director) years ago before Malcolm was hired. From what I understand, he was horrible!

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    He could have made his point in a much better way to point our problems... The 17 to 10k thing is idiotic... If I was a Tech alum that had the power of the pen, I would not be running down the university RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CONFERENCE SHAKEUP!!!!

When it's over, he can say what he wants and lot's needs to be done, but Mr. McCallum did us NO FAVORS, WHATSOEVER, WITH THAT ARTICLE...

There is a time and place for everything and now is NOT the time for that CRAP!!

Good letter, Clyde. I'm too pissed right now to write.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    I wrote one that was similar, Clyde, before I saw your's. I really think it is time for us to go to The Times management about him. I think he holds a grudge against Oakes and Tech, and uses his position for revenge.

I have to agree that I think he is deliberately trying to harm Tech's position as it relates to CUSA. He knows his column will be picked up by message boards across CUSA. And he knows there is no way those folks will know he was fired from Tech for not doing his job.
    Good old Memorial Gym

+ Reply to Thread