+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shreve. Times article (opinion) on CUSA & Tech's future.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    Here's the response I got back:

Yes, Michael, I think you are off, and here's why. You say I should point out the problems with the administration rather than taking shots at Tech. That is EXACTLY what I am doing. I am saying the university should market itself better to take advantage of the opportunities it is getting. As for attendance, I suspect deep down you really do know the attendance figures are highly exaggerated there, but SAYING there are fans in the stands will not help the school like HAVING those fans in the stands will. Otherwise, you can continue to believe everything is beautiful and go on playing Boise State, etc.
    What you don't realize is that the more Tech wants to play with the big boys, the more its shortcomings will be pointed out by the media. Either you want media attention or you don't. Remember, Reggie Jackson said "They don't boo nobodies," so look more closely at things written about Tech and don't get your back up so quickly. I went to Tech, and I've always known it could play at a higher level than it did. And I've known that the reason it didn't get the chance is because the people there don't approach marketing right. It has nothing to do with what newspapers print. People are people all over, you just have to market to them and get them interested in something.
    Whether you agree with me or not, I'm glad you e-mailed with your thoughts. Keep reading and keep in touch.
    Thanks again,
    Brian McCallum
    The Times

Pretty accurate I feel...unfortunately

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Why can't the local media take this opportunity to help TECH market itself instead of taking pot-shots at such a critical time?

Why can't we see a S'prt Times article outlining the reasons that TECH should be invited to CUSA?

Such as: geography- we are in the middle of the CUSA footprint, competitive level of football with a Sagarin rating higher than over half of the schools in CUSA including those new invitees, recent BCS wins, national television appearances, 65% student-athlete graduation rates (for comparison, the Memphis BB program has a 0% graduation rate and this is now the premier program in the conference), no NCAA violations, and a great academic reputation.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    Not to mention the BENEFITS for Louisiana being included in such an article ... You are right CHC, that is what SHOULD be running right now. A lot is up to Oakes, but North Louisiana really needs to show that they want to bring in business. This is an opportunity for North Louisiana, not just Louisiana Tech.

If they don't care, then their lack of effort reflects on the whole region. That attitude reeks and is one of the big reasons NLa will continue to lose jobs to places like Texas, South Louisiana, Mississippi and Arkansas.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Most newspapers do try to print articles in favor of schools close to them, but the Times does not do that. They don't have a clue.

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    CHC, you are a "beacon" of knowledge!!!!

I'd go as far as calling you one of the 1000 points of Light for La. Tech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    Also, CHC, send reply back to Brian and ask him to write the best article that he can to PROMOTE Tech... If he does that, then he's a ok in my book!!!!! Timing is the only horrible thing re. this one...

and his estimates, of course....

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Memdawg
    CHC, you are a "beacon" of knowledge!!!!

I'd go as far as calling you one of the 1000 points of Light for La. Tech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Memdawg, I think you have far exceeded your ability to think clearly. There is certainly some differences of opinion on the degree of brightness in various lights, beacons, and the like! :P

TD
    ~~

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    I think BM got wind of something he didn't like and bashed Tech before the "good news" came out. He is a loser.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by maddawg
    I think BM got wind of something he didn't like and bashed Tech before the "good news" came out. He is a loser.
    Jim Oakes is the loser for trying to convert the SID into his own personal adminstrative assistant--and this happened well before Brian McCallum ever had the job. For the last few years I was around Tech, Oakes was the biggest hurdle preventing the SID office from performing its primary functions with outside media.

Posters on this board should get beyond two numbers that account for only about 2% of the substance of the story and focus on the real issues that McCallum nailed dead center.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Randy? Is that you?

The point is that he wrote a to the point commentary that contained two unnecessary and untrue points. Why even put that in? A extra jab at Jim and Tech that's why. The timing was also off. This could have easily been published after Nov. 22nd. I still say his sources have given him some news he doesn't like and that generated the column.

Varsity Bulldog Omaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really nice Omaha Bulldog's Avatar
    I agree with McCallum in that Tech desparately needs to market itself better. He stated that much better in his e-mail response to Cool Hand Clyde than he did in the Times. His column in the Times was overly negative and showed his displeasure with being fired from Tech. There is a reason he is a high school beat writer and not a college or pro writer. He should stay with high school opinions instead of venturing into college athletics.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Clyde called him out and he tried to change the tone of his message like he was trying to help Tech when all he did was flame us. What was his purpose for lying about the attendance? It was to try to make Tech and Jim Oakes look bad at a very critical time in our athletic endeavors. He is a little punk and needs to grow up.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    I agree 100% with you DonW, MD and the rest. This guy should be dressed down in the paper for lying. "Editorial journalism" is getting away with way too much these days. Yes, even on the sports page.

Varsity Bulldog SportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to allSportTechFan is a name known to all
    Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK
    [
    This not the first time he ha taken cheap shots at TECH. I think Bobby Slaughter said it best when he called the afternoon idiots at 1130 on day a couple of years ago regarding a similar McCallum aricle...it was OK that the article was written because there was a lot of truth in it, but McCallum was the wrong guy to write it because of his history and hatred of Jim and TECH.

McCallum is a prick...and a little one at that!
    Actually Dan - it was me on the morning show with Darrell Rebouche when I said - "My Momma told me to never argue with an idiot, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

STF

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg
    [quote:e0c7841e25="maddawg"]I think BM got wind of something he didn't like and bashed Tech before the "good news" came out. He is a loser.
    Jim Oakes is the loser for trying to convert the SID into his own personal adminstrative assistant--and this happened well before Brian McCallum ever had the job. For the last few years I was around Tech, Oakes was the biggest hurdle preventing the SID office from performing its primary functions with outside media.

Posters on this board should get beyond two numbers that account for only about 2% of the substance of the story and focus on the real issues that McCallum nailed dead center.[/quote:e0c7841e25]

He's a bitter little prick. He's a poor writer that enjoys using his column inches to torment TECH and JO.

BTW, if JO told McCallum his job was as SID included being Permanent Latrine Orderly...that would be his job. JO...boss...McCallum...employee!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

+ Reply to Thread