+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Since this is fastly becoming a band board

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    I'll make a few comments but no personal attacks:

1) It will be a great day for Lousiana Tech when the baby blue peacock uniforms are gone. It was embarrasing at LSU (and any other game) to have other fans make fun of our band.

2) Mr Robken, don't let your band taunt the other band if they can't back it up. Every time the BOP would start something with SMU, they would get blown out of the water. The SMU band was LOUD and played throughout the game. Kudos to SMU. Your band won.

3) When the BOP isn't able to lead the "Move The Chains" chant, it doesn't work. Could someone use RObken's mic when the band is not there to get it right?

4) I did not see the halftime show as Iwas in the parking lot drinking beer and listening to Dave but I heard it was a helluva show.

Ending on a postivite note.......

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar
    Do you know what I was harassed about the most the Monday after the LSU game when I returned to my Baton Rouge workplace? Our damn band uniforms! Even with all the material Bicknell and crew gave them to work with the uniforms drew the most fire. Some quotes:

“Why did y’all bring the Lady Techsters’ Band?

“Did y’all rent that band from North Carolina?”

“I guess real Tech fans can wear any color blue.”

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    Cool Hand Clyde,

The band did awsome, they totally out played SMU, don't know which football game you were at.

Many ppl like our band program...ask around, LSU band members where shocked seeing our pep band at the LSU game. They vocally expressed that the BOP pepband were louder and more entertaining than Auburns.

Why does this feel like it's becoming a band board...well sucks how ppl like to diss on this large spirit group which does a wonderful job at the game. And also, we got a lot of loyal Tech supporter and fans who are or were in the band who read this board.

Blame the uniforms on Dr. Dan..not the Band

Varsity Bulldog Rossp917 is an unknown
    It is my understanding that the Blue Uni's are gone after this season. Supposedly the new ones will have a breastplate and a reversible cover for a total of three different looks. Should be nice.

Do remember money is a problem and only last January the color was officially changed to Reflex Blue. Give 'em some time and the changes will be made.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    The band that got outplayed was the TECH band. Our flutists just can't outmuscle their brass. If you want to talk about who was on key, who played at the right tempo, who marched the straightest, that kind of BS, I won't debate you.

But for a football game, the much smaller SMU band outplayed the BOP. The BOP may have been louder and more entertaining than Auburn's but not SMU's.

I will give the band credit. They can stir up some crap but they better back it up, and they didn't Saturday.

As for dissing the band, those kids are on scholarship and if you band people want to use this sports message board to spout off, I will give the band as much criticism as the football team and Robken as much as JBIII.

I tried to end my first post on a postitive. That will be the last.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    Clyde, Where is your favorite "move the band" motto??

I say move the BSU organization or whatever group of students that sit on the north forty to the band section. I like their rowdiness.

As for all of you greeks that may read this, YOU SUCK!!! You all might as well stay outside the gates or stay at home. I think most of you chose the later anyway.

I did notice on Saturday the band played a little more and was louder than in the past. I guess when they have competition in the stands, they have to try and step it up.

I try not to diss on the band either, but when band members come on here and complain about it "being to far to march from the campus to the stadium" or other such whinny crap, then you are open game.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar
    This is the last year for the baby blue uni's, which is extremley quick considering the order to change was giving less than a year ago. As to SMU you can say they were the better band all you want but when your musical selection consists of playing "She'll be comin round the mountain" five million times w/ only slight variations in tempo/key it better be damn loud. Myself I would rather hear and play different tunes, the BOP has a selection of at least 25 songs to play. And as to marching from the campus to the stadium, bring it on, this'll be like a walk in a park compared to doing Fiesta parades in the San Antonio heat. The only problem I can imagine is the time crunch, between our 8-10/11 am practice and finding food between then and our 12 call. And I don't mind well thought out constructive criticisms, not this b.s. by lando and beef, and will try to respond w/ some hopefully enlightining comments.

As long as I have germ's permisission, I'll say that SMU had the better band.

And they know where to sit.

By popular request,

[shadow=blue:21ecbd7c26]MOVE THE BAND, MOVE THE BAND, MOVE THE BAND!!!![/shadow:21ecbd7c26]

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    WHAT GAME? I can't imagine anyone saying that about the SMU game. Even with an all brass band, they were not even close. Maybe it sounded different on the West side? That was the VERY best that I had seen our band do (in the stands and on the field). They more than backed up their challenges.

The BOP rocked - literally at half time! I have to wonder about some that critisize the band when they are FILLED with spirit and did an awesome job. You didn't watch the half time show?

I guess if you were sitting right beside the BOP, they would sound loud and awesome. I sat on the west side and SMU brought it around the mountain big time.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    No offense to the BOP -

But that small SMU band was loud and clear and they played some pretty good music -

Robken did stop by the tailgate Saturday and informed us that they had started the process of getting the new band uniforms and they should have them by the first game next year -

And they are blue -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog dawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her gamedawg88 is on top of his/her game
    If anyone knows who is in control of the sound system, please ask them to not play a recorded song when the BOP is playing. This is not a one-time slip up, it has happened all year long.

Also, why isn't the message board on the north scoreboard utilized? The words to the Tech song used to scroll across the board while the band played during the pre-game. Also, it could used to relay other scores, identify groups that buy blocks of tickets, winners of pregame activities, encourage fans to cheer, and maybe even display an advertisement or two. Just a thought.
    ________
    FERRARI 250 TR 61 SPYDER FANTUZZI SPECIFICATIONS
    Last edited by dawg88; 05-04-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Puppy TechJD is an unknown
    Well,

I'd just like to state that as the uniform manager of the BOP, the decision to wear these "baby blue peacock" uniforms was NOT our choice. A decision was handed down to me (that generated from our President) 10 minutes before I headed out to rehearsal one afternoon that the President "said NO" and that the band (or as much of it as possible) would have to be fitted for these uniforms once again. Trust me, I'm not jumping up and down to wear these uniforms or deal with them, but it's part of my job, so I do it and wear it with pride.

Furthermore, I suppose YOU were embarrased at LSU but I was damn proud of our band, and I wasn't the only one. LSU fans complimented and congratulated our band on our efforts as we exited the stadium. I'm glad to see that TIGER FANS support the BOP. Then again, it wouldn't be fair to say that only Tiger fans give our band support and encouragement for there are many Bulldog fans that give us support, send in letters of gratitude and thanks, or otherwise make it known that they appreciate and respect our band. You know what WAS embarrasing at LSU, though? Watching their fans respond in mass all across the stadium to their cheers, while our group of fans only had a few here and there that were getting up and getting vocal and visual for the dawgs. I stood for THE ENTIRE game (this is no exaggeration, I assure you) and much of the time with a sousaphone on my shoulder and some fans barely stood at all or made any effort to cheer. THAT was embarrasing.

As far as the conversation about the SMU band "blowing us out of the water", I won't even dignify that with a response, because it is obvious you don't know what you are talking about regarding that. But just as a note: "loud" does not mean "good." Check the dictionary.

Do not think that I will get on here and whine and complain about the distance we march at any point in time. I am marching tuba for the first year (I previously played baritone) and therefore carry an instrument that is about 1/3 my weight. At times I remark at how heavy it is, but when given the option by someone to switch, I declined with a polite "no thanks", because I am no wimp and can handle it. I have marched every single event we have had (the parade, the building dedications, and every game) without resorting to "whinny crap." We're not complaining- we're stating facts. The fact of the matter is, we DO our job. You may not think much of the Band of Pride or approve of some of the things we do, but ignorance breeds false notions. We're proud of ourselves, and that matters more than your uneducated criticism or your vow to refuse positive statements about us from this point forward.

Also, your source was right. It was one helluva show. It's a real shame you missed it. Tsk tsk.

Also...."fastly"? You might want to check that, fella.

JD

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all
    I'm with y'all Cool Hand Clyde and Dwayne from Minden...the SMU band was great. They were loud, sharp, in tune and in step. The only problem is you can't compare the BOP with the SMU band. They are worlds apart. The BOP hasn't decided what it wants to be...a marching band, a drum and bugle corp or a LARGE Football PEP band...parish the thought.

They are enthusiastic and without them on the east side, we would be in trouble. So I give them credit. I just don't like all that "jive" dancing in the stands. The BOP looks too much like a high school band in the stands. That act to much like one too.

While we are on the subject of the BOP another thing that grates on me is the fact that when they "march" into the stadium...half of them aren't marching. They seem to be on a Sunday stroll. And don't tell me they are marching 6/5...I know the difference. They aren't marching 6/5 or 8/5 or anything. No sharpness is displayed. But in their defense, it is my understanding that over 80% of the BOP is NOT ON SCHOLORSHIP. That makes a difference. They are doing this because they love it. I just wish they loved it enough to make it what it ought to be.

It was interesting to have a visiting schools band play. I can't remember the last time that happened. Maybe RICE two years ago. CUSA would change that!!!!

Puppy MustangBand is an unknown
    I stopped by hoping to see a positive post about our team, but since someone commented about us in Mustang Band I thought I'd drop in my 'thanks' for all the nice comments, and for the great reaction we got from the classy fans in Ruston. One note of play 'comin' around the moutain' (which is out fight song, Peruna) you are lucky we only played it about 80 times during the game, in the old days before the NCAA made rules about playing during teh snap we would play it on average 300-400 times a game.
    I really had a good time sparing back and forth with the la tech band, usually other bands are less animated int he stands as far as band-band interaction goes, I guess this is because you have great seats. Too bad you guys ran out of music so quickly post game, I was disappointed that we didn't even get into the second half of our folder when ya'll started to leave, but then again it was getting dark.
    Anyway, thanks for the compliments!

+ Reply to Thread