+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Since this is fastly becoming a band board

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    I don't know, pony, I had a hard time even picking out the "coming around the mountain" tune. All I ever heard was a bunch of noise that sounded like a band tuning their instruments.

Puppy TechJD is an unknown
    Mustangband,

We didn't run out of music. Trust me, we have PLENTY of music in our folders - our 3 librarians on staff can tell you that! We had a lot of business to tend to, plus we had to fulfill some tradition for the members that will not be with us next year. At the last regular home game every year, we sing the Alma Mater to our seniors postgame as a sort of "thank you." We were not going to shortchange them and belittle their years of service to this organization - and this school - by neglecting to give them this tribute in order to continue sparing with you. I'm sure your band could have stayed and played all night, but unfortunately we had a lot of things to do and many of us have been dilligently practicing for concert season auditions that are this week and finals. We don't want you guys to feel slighted or as if we gave up; we just had things to do.

Also, giving credit where credit is due, your band was rather spirited and that was probably one of the best presences of a visiting band I have witnessed in my 7 years of being in marching bands. You guys have a bit of a different style than we do (and yes, BCSDAWG, we have decided what we want to be, we just don't want to restrict ourselves when we have so much potential and so many possibilities. Our style is eclectic), but we respect the spirit you brought to the game and the fact that you seemed like you were having fun. I am always pleased to see when a band - no matter what size, style, etc. - looks like they are enjoying what they do. If a band's not fun, something is missing. I'm glad you all had fun during your time here in Ruston.

BCSDAWG, you are also right in saying that we do it because we love it, regardless of amount or even presence of scholarship. I don't know if those figures are quite accurate, though. I believe more of us are on scholarship than that reflects, actually. We do love it enough to make it what it ought to be, I promise you that. I will admit that there are times when some are a bit lackluster in their marching or performance, but I assure you that is something we are working on, because we want all our performances and appearances to display the pride and love we have for what we do.

Also, the marching is not regular 8 to 5 or 6 to 5 on the march in because it is adjusted step, due to whatever space we may have alloted to us at any given time. I do see your point about the lack of sharpness, however, as it has been a concern of my own as well. I'll be sure to bring that up to the Boss (Mr. Robken). As far as the "jive" dancing....well, to each his own.

JD

Varsity Bulldog Omaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really niceOmaha Bulldog is just really nice Omaha Bulldog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TechJD
    We didn't run out of music. Trust me, we have PLENTY of music in our folders - our 3 librarians on staff can tell you that! We had a lot of business to tend to, plus we had to fulfill some tradition for the members that will not be with us next year. At the last regular home game every year, we sing the Alma Mater to our seniors postgame as a sort of "thank you." We were not going to shortchange them and belittle their years of service to this organization - and this school - by neglecting to give them this tribute in order to continue sparing with you.

TechJD, what do you mean - the last regular home game of the year? This wasn't it. The last regular home game of the year is against Rice on November 29. Are you trying to say the band will not be in attendence for the Rice game? I hope this is not what you are implying.

Also, I want to thank the BOP for making the LSU trip. I sat about 4 or 5 rows behind you guys and had a great time. Thanks for the entertainment before, during, and after the game. Unfortuneately, it was better entertainment than what I witnessed on the field.

And for those of you that criticize the band, you obviously have not attended the WAC basketball tournament the past couple of years. While I know the marching band and the basketball pep bands are two different animals, they are the same musicians. And our basketball band is by far the best in the WAC.

Robken was just given additional funding for scholarships this year. It will take some time to build the numbers. The true blame for our lack of numbers goes with the administration for not properly funding the band. Hopefully that is changing, especially with the possible move to CUSA where the band should be allowed to travel to more of the away football games.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    The photo album on our Web site includes shots of both bands Saturday and the postgame competition was GREAT!
    I can't evaluate quality of performance because I didn't hear it all and don't know who "won" but SMU's outfits were great. I am sorry to hear Tech will again have traditional uniforms, even if they are the correct blue.
    But that will be an improvement.

Puppy stephch2 has turned a few heads around herestephch2 has turned a few heads around here stephch2's Avatar
    TechJD, what do you mean - the last regular home game of the year? This wasn't it. The last regular home game of the year is against Rice on November 29. Are you trying to say the band will not be in attendence for the Rice game? I hope this is not what you are implying.
    The Rice game takes place during Quarter break 2 days after Thanksgiving. The dorms and other campus services will be closed. There will be a Pep band at the Rice game consisting of volunteers who are coming back to campus for the game. The SMU game was the last "official" game were the BOP could honor their graduating seniors. It has long been tradition at this game that the band sings the Alma Mater for the seniors. It is always touching to watch the expressions on the seniors faces while the band is singing to them.

stephch2,
    AMEN! I agree wholeheartedly about watching the seniors faces during the Alma Mater, because having friends very near and dear to my own heart that were down there in the lineup before the full BOP for the last time singing our #1 song, meant so much even to me as a junior. I will admit I teared up a bit, too! It was beautiful moment and I dread the day I will be in their place, because I will bawl like a baby!

To all:
    Yes, we will be having a pep band at the RICE game that will consist of 60 (the numbers may possibly go up) volunteers. But, I assure you all we intend to make our presence felt as best as posible whether it's 60, 100 (@LSU), or the full 170. I'll be at the RICE game. Hope to see you there!

TechJD

Puppy MustangBand is an unknown
    Wow, you guys get a game off? That must be nice. For us to not be in full attendance at all home football, and mens & womens bball games would be unheardof, but then again, we dont' have 170 people - closer to 70.
    Just curious (and I don't mean this in an insulting way, really) but someone suggested that you guys normally get the '3rd quarter off' during games. I know you guys do alot of stuff similar to how it is done in high schools, but surely this can't be the case?

Varsity Bulldog american is an unknown
    Hoop Troop,

Thanks for your warm welcome to the young ladies from the Netherlands.

Thanks for screaming at their coach to sit down when the Techsters had a 40 point lead.

Thanks for shaking your keys at this group (that travelled all the way from another continent) when the Techsters were 50 points ahead. I'm sure they needed reminding they had an imminent bus ride ahead.

Thanks for screaming insults at their players as they we're introduced. I'm sure that made them feel welcome in the USofA, Louisiana, and Ruston.

Thanks for blaring our National Anthem in one continuous fortisimo with no contrasting metzoforte in the trio so that the main theme could have been rejoined for a dramatic finish.

You made our university proud and showed these young ladies from Northern Europe what real Americans are like.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by american
    Hoop Troop,

Thanks for screaming at their coach to sit down when the Techsters had a 40 point lead.

Thanks for shaking your keys at this group (that travelled all the way from another continent) when the Techsters were 50 points ahead. I'm sure they needed reminding they had an imminent bus ride ahead.

Thanks for screaming insults at their players as they we're introduced. I'm sure that made them feel welcome in the USofA, Louisiana, and Ruston.

Thanks for blaring our National Anthem in one continuous fortisimo with no contrasting metzoforte in the trio so that the main theme could have been rejoined for a dramatic finish.

You made our university proud and showed these young ladies from Northern Europe what real Americans are like.
    AMEN!!! I know this was probably meant to be sarcastic but as a proud member of the Hoop Troop I take it as a sincere thanks. And apparently my job as spokesman for the band has gotten easier now that i've got reinforcments.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    I just don't like all that "jive" dancing in the stands.
    Now, I know you have got to be kidding. That is what I love about the BOP! They have spirit. I love to see them dancing and having a good time. The BOP is not a Texas A&M band (which is also awesome), they are a fun group with a casual flare. I LOVED IT!

Also, I didn't make the exhibition game last night, but hats off to the Pep Band if they did this. Our band is awesome. Keep up the great work! This is why the TAC is ranked in the top 5 toughest places to play wbb.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    they are having fun, they show spirit, they sound good, they are making great "memories"

Why knock on our own BOP? I think they are doing a great job with the budget that they have (remember Tech is cheap, we don't even spend much money on atheletics or marketing, why would they give much to the band). They are making the most of what they have. The students are having fun...thats the important thing. Do they represent our school well, yes they do. Do they show spirit, yup.

They know the fight song and alma mater, do our regular ol joe student know that, nope. Yes they do get scholarship, but it's not much, not even close to what the cheerleaders or football players are getting.

CHC, if you love Tech, show more pride in our student spirit group. They work hard. They sacrifice a lot of time to add to the gameday experience.

Dawgbitten, you are right about our greeks.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by american
    Hoop Troop,

Wow, really, i wasn't there...
    If they acted like the 6th man during the game and showed spirit, hell let them do what they want. If you were there at the NCAA tourney in Ruston last year...they had the TAC pumped. Watch when Qtr break hits...you'll really wish they were there in the TAC. Sucks we are on the qtr system, messes up sports and attendence (but qtr system is great for classes).

U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A
    Go Tech

We have too many conservative fans...

American,

You make me sad I missed that game! Unfortuantely, I'm not assigned to that band (Hoop Troop 2. I'm in Hoop Troop 1) and I was here at the band building helping out with auditions and collecting uniforms. But from what you were saying in your post, it must have been an awesome first game for the year for the Hoop Troop and we kept the spirited traditions of that ensemble going. Way to go, guys and gals!

qng001, you're right. When quarter break hits, it's going to severely hurt the spirit level in the TAC, since the Hoop Troop won't be there. I've noticed the difference since high school. It always made me feel like something exciting was going on inside to be at the concessions stand and hear "Karn Evil 9" or some other great Hoop Troop staple come around the walls.

TechJD

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    The Hoop Troop is as good as it gets for basketball pep bands.

Several years ago when the Techsters were clubbing Penn State in the NCAA playoffs, the Hoop Troop also silenced the PSU pep band. I saw Robken making hand motions toward their director, which I assumed meant, you guys gonna play, it's your turn? That PSU director just waved back....heck, he might well as have waved the white flag of surrender! hah!

Now, before that, the Holy Cross College pep band did a great job. Those kids were having a blast, even while the Techsters were drilling their hapless team. In fact, the HC band had many Tech fans rocking with them. That spirit and enthusiasm can be contagious.

Keep up the great work Hoop Troop. You guys are the best.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    We have the BEST pep band in the WAC! Keep it up the whole game! GREAT JOB ROBKIN!

+ Reply to Thread