+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traditions

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all
    gng001...you mentioned that Tech lacks traditions when compared to schools like TAM, Texas, Auburn, LSU, etc. I tend to agree with you. Traditions are what bring people back. Traditions are what stir peoples hearts and pockets.

Can we identify 5 or 10 really true Tech Traditions that we all hold near and dear to our hearts? Traditions that mean something to all of us? I've been around a while and quite honestly, I'm coming up short.

Help me out here...

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    The players touching the Spirit of 1988 as they take the field.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSDAWG
    gng001...you mentioned that Tech lacks traditions when compared to schools like TAM, Texas, Auburn, LSU, etc. I tend to agree with you. Traditions are what bring people back. Traditions are what stir peoples hearts and pockets.

Can we identify 5 or 10 really true Tech Traditions that we all hold near and dear to our hearts? Traditions that mean something to all of us? I've been around a while and quite honestly, I'm coming up short.

Help me out here...

:idea: [glow=red:6a5fb0520d][shadow=blue:6a5fb0520d]WINNING!!![/shadow:6a5fb0520d][/glow:6a5fb0520d] :idea:

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar
    We have had an administration since F J Taylor went out that isn't overly concerned with any athletics that isn't women's basketball. I love the Lady Techsters and the have earned what they have, but my point is its hard to have traditions or even start new traditions when there is very little support from high above the masses in his shining white tower.

In the DMN today there is an article on rebuilding SMU and what Bennett must do and they have these quotes from former coaches who have built programs like Hayden Fry etc... One of the coaches tips was " you have to have the support and faith of the entire adminsitration because if you don't the effort will fail".

I just don't see our faculty and administration being there as they should, and I have even taught at Tech will earning my masters so I have seen both sides of the fence in teh last 3 years and its really not pretty.

Varsity Bulldog coona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    Speaking of SMU, I was told last week that one young man who signed last year got a call from Don Meredith. This is the call that helped him make up his mind to come to SMU. Does Tech do that? I would think a call from Terry B. or Karl Malone might help to get a guy for Tech. As long as the NCAA approves it should be a fine tool to use for Tech.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    That Don Meredith call probably was to the Mount Vernon, TX boy(can't think of his name??). Don Meredith was from Mount Vernon, TX.

Puppy RednBlue is an unknown
    I just don't see our faculty and administration being there as they should, and I have even taught at Tech will earning my masters so I have seen both sides of the fence in teh last 3 years and its really not pretty.
    Ok, I have to comment on that one. I am not sure where you taught, but there is PLENTY of support from the faculty where I am. Personally, I always encourage my students to attend all the games that they can. Also, I myself attend as much as possible.

But really, give me an example of how the faculty could "be there as [we should]".

Varsity Bulldog coona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    You are correct, but Don Meredith is still famous and much loved in Texas. I would think Tech has more "know and famous" ex-athletes than an SMU, Rice, TCU, or many CUSA or WAC teams. I can't think of many in the schools I have listed. SMU = Eric Dickerson, Rice = ?, TCU = Bob Lilly.........

Just think how much Tim Rattay could help if..............

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar
    I have tried to get the last 3 or 4 SGA Presidents to form a traditions committee. This group would identify Tech Traditions and then would have to approve any changes.

So many times you hear "Let's start a new tradition !!" You CAN'T start a tradition. It is something that builds from year to year. It is something that is missing at Tech.

Even as far as attendance goes - it should be a tradition for families to tailgate and attend the games. People should not go to the games because it is the first day of deer season. It should be that people cannot hunt that day because there is a game.

Again, this is not something that can be solved overnight, but we can begin working on it. Then, we can have a tradition.

Champ splicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of lightsplicer is a glorious beacon of light
    Didn't Michael Jordan play at Rice?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar
    personally, I don't think SGA will get anything done. I've been really disappointed in how unpublicized pep rallies and games have been. NO ONE knew about the SMU pep rally or game. The group that I see making a large impact on all this is the bulldog corps. They need to step up and take on the role of being the athletes ambassadors on campus. They could make signs and flyers and make sure that people know about the game. They could also bring tradition ideas to SGA or start them themselves.

GO DAWGS BTPO TULSA!!!!
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Puppy RednBlue is an unknown
    I do agree that we need some traditions. There are things that we traditionally do, just they generally aren't considered "traditions".

But traditions aren't created, they are born. They have to have meaning behind them. They have to have something that will carry on to the next generations. Each class needs to feel like they were a part of the tradition, not just a spectator to it. Traditions should evoke a sense of pride and uniqueness. A tradition has to have a memory. To me these are the things that traditions are made of.

The hard part is finding something that can contain all of those things. Maybe there is already a tradition being born out thre somewhere, we just need to find it and help it to mature.

Anyway, that is my few cents on that matter.

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all
    So many times you hear "Let's start a new tradition !!" You CAN'T start a tradition. It is something that builds from year to year. It is something that is missing at Tech.

(I didn't know how to copy your quote and highlight it. I'm computer challanged)

Rockett...I couldn't agree more. You don't START traditions. They just happen. Like what EJ said about the players touching the Spirit of '88 when they come down the ramp. That's a tradition. There is meaning there. I've been in the stands when the PA announcer would state "Tech fans...we're starting a new tradition today". I just shook my head.

I guess one tradtition we do have is that it's a tradition to go hunting on game day instead of coming to the game. I'm not trying to stir up hunters, but that is a priority to them. For many Tech hunters football is secondary. So let's figure out how to get non-hunters to the games. What ever happened to band day? What has happened to special days where we would have the opportunity to bus in lots of kids and put them in the stands? That gives us numbers AND gets them interested in TECH. We are missing opportunities...but that comes under marketing, not traditions. Sorry to have gotten off the subject.

Any other traditions we can think of???

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    The Ruston and Tech PD have a very strong tradition of spoiling Tailgating fun and after game celebrations.

Rockett, since you are in an administration at Tech, why not try curbing the PD's enthusiasm for making the students life miserable at games. That would be a good start.

Another tradition: Wearing of blue. Born from this board.

Big Dog farright30 is an unknown farright30's Avatar
    Yeah, wearing blue to Tech games. I'm sure that one was thought of here. Its a good idea considering it is our school's colors.

+ Reply to Thread