+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Traditions

Big Dog TXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the rough TXDAWG81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ
    [quote:07fce3d7b6="TYLERTECHSAS"]BRING BACK THE CANNON and THE BELL!!

A TECH TRADITION!!
    I absolutely agree. I MISS them both.[/quote:07fce3d7b6]Please bring back the cannon and the bell. Keep our traditions alive and well!!!!!

Varsity Bulldog Screenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    just to clear it up...

i heard the MOVE THE CHAINS cheer in the late 90's, probably 1998ish and it was started by the BSU, not the BOP. that was back when the columbia blue warriors sat up higher.

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all
    I agree GODAWGSGO...sell the seats. But if you can't sell the seats and put fanny's in the stands, then open that area up and let others sit there.

The Cannon, the Bell...couldn't agree more. I like the idea of putting together a list of these traditions and sitting down with the SGA, UB (of which I am a former member...back in the "good ole days") , etc. and work on a way to keep them alive. I know the Greeks were very upset when their letters were replaced by those god awful footballs last year. Thank goodness they have been put up around the top of the stadium. That actually looks pretty good now. Although how long can we rest on our laurels about wins from years ago? Ten years from now who is going to be impressed with a plywood football that gives our Alabama score? Do you see that kind of stuff at "big time" schools? I don't think so.

Is someone starting that list???

Varsity Bulldog dawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nice dawg419's Avatar
    I loved the bell and the cannon - especially a lot better than that weak air raid siren.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar
    My Top 10 Tech Traditions (Past, Present & Future)
    1. The south endzone Bell-Yessss!
    2. That loud Cannon-Oh yeah!
    3. Ed and Mary's on Thursday Night (too bad that bar's gone from Cheniere exit)
    4. Homecoming weekend open houses hosted by all colleges and departments in the university.
    5. Red Helmets and Red Jerseys at some home games for a different look (like against teams like Boise and Tulsa who wear too much blue like we can do. (Hey, we were 44-4 my four years when Coach Lambright had his teams wearing the red)
    6. Champ sliding down the south hill especially during rainy games.
    7. A sound system you could hear at the other end of the stadium.
    8. A State Fair weekend game in Shreverport.
    9. Tech Tailgating Alley (all tailgating continues to grow!)
    10. A snappy all-band pregame concert (no funky music coming over funky loud speakers.)
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    I second those above listed traditions.

I agree in that I hated the pregame Rap/Hard Rock-scream :x /whatever it is music over that sound system of ours this year.

Champ TechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud ofTechsasDawg has much to be proud of TechsasDawg's Avatar
    The greatest tradition we had when Miss Betty & I went to La Tech was the football team kicking a$$ when we took the field. Didn't matter who we played, we played hard, and usually cleaned house of whoever showed up that week-end! I really miss that tradition. :veryfuri: Of course, Joe Aillet was the coach, and he kinda liked to win too!!! Am I asking too much to bring this age old tradition back? I see Bobby Aillet at almost every game, and I'm sure he misses that tradition too!!!

TD
    ~~

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar
    More traditions . . .

11. The Tech logo designed by Maxie Lambright and Art professor Nichols. Very, very unique and it is now our icon.

And finally,
    12. Since this is post #88 for me, I'd like to say dittos to the Tech 88 statue in the south endzone and the touch by Tech players as they go by it before games. I'd love to see the AFROTC guys standing guard over Tech 88 however to prevent visiting teams from being able to touch our symbol.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar
    Please, please, someone help us get rid of the stupid CenturyTel tarps covering the east side of the stadium. I realize we never have anybody sitting there, however, it looks bad, REAL BAD. It's like we're conceding defeat, that we'll never have enough people in the stands, ever.

Varsity Bulldog Rossp917 is an unknown
    13. Getting Freshmen to check out the Bulldog's gonads in the Student Center. It was a laugh with my Orientation Group. There was always one kid gullible enough.

14. One last tour of campus the night before graduation (libations optional).

15. Soaping/dressing the Lady of the Mist (libations required)

16. Attending Orientation Skits (libations optional), and the freshman only dance.

17. After hours free swim at the Nat...(hrm...should I have posted that one?!?), (no libations...don't want anyone to drown)

18. Sliding down the hill by the TAC, every third year (OK...so when it snowed (libations optional).

19. Mud football in the Dust Bowl and Rugby field (libations optional).

20. Spring quarter Mattress sliding (where you soap up the halls and slide the plastic dorm mattress down them) (libations optional).

21. Penny Locking

22. The phantom crapper (the guy/girl who did # 2 in every shower/stall/urinal/laundry room/etc... around the dorm).

I'm sure that I could add plenty more...but the board can do a better job of that. I forget sometimes how much fun being an undergrad was. That being said, I'm glad that some of those times are behind me and not still ahead of me.

Varsity Bulldog Rossp917 is an unknown
    Ok, guys and girls, This is what I have for dead traditions...see if anyone can add to this. I'm trying to compile a list of both dead, and current traditions to give to SGA so that they can start a traditions council if they see fit.

Tech Dead Traditions.

1. The South Endzone Bell
    2. The North Endzone Cannon
    3. The Homecoming Bonfire
    4. The Ringing of the Clocktower
    5. Serenading a Girl at the Lady of the Mist after Engagement
    6. Homecoming Weekend Open Houses in Departments
    7. Bulldogs Being Buried on Campus (supposedly this is to be done, but we sent one off to Pennsylvania)
    8. Blue Jackets
    9. State Fair Football Game (not necessarily against Northwestern)
    10. Evening Ball Games (it’s hard to get good and rowdy for a 2:00 kickoff, and worse, it kills the nightlife after a game)
    11. Stadium Side Cheers (This one never became a tradition; someone gave up on it before it ever took off).
    12. The football team singing the Alma mater with the students

+ Reply to Thread