+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traditions

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all
    Cut the ropes, cut the ropes, cut the ropes...

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    So now the band has the bottow row of seats at the 50 and our invisible young alumni season ticket holders occupy the upper section.

Why don't they just cover the entire east side with black tarps?

Varsity Bulldog yobrefstank has turned a few heads around hereyobrefstank has turned a few heads around here yobrefstank's Avatar
    You can't cut the ropes(crime scene tape) because there is a BIG cop standing there.

Puppy smilingdawg is an unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by qng001
    GermDawg is right, the OSL have a lot of control in turning these students into becoming true bulldogs...that is where i found out the tech tradition, from orientation. It wouldn't kill the adminstration to make students pass an exam on the words of our alma mater or fight song in the University Seminar, a class that freshmen have to take. When I went through University Seminar, i thought it was a waste of my time...the university could have taken full control and seize the opportunity in teaching students our school history, tradition, song, etc.
    There couldn't be much changed to the Orientation program. We teach all of the cheers, the alma mater, the fight song (although there is nothing we can do to MAKE SURE that students learn them...i.e. no testing). University Seminar could have a change on that. Also, I think that University Seminar should make sure that the students KNOW about the games.

I remember all of my Orientation kids being PUMPED up about TECH when they left the program. Many of them left the campus with T-shirts, notebooks, and car stickers. During their 1st year of classes, they lost that spirit. Mostly through interactions with older, more jaded students.

I agree with Rockett that traditions are born and not started. Sadly...some die.

Why do the football players no longer sing the alma mater with the student section???

Why don't we do Stadium side cheers? (Bulldogs...Fight)

What happened to the Homecoming Bonfire?

What about the Clocktower bells?

Why did Tech 17 get sent to Philadelphia (or where ever) instead of staying here and being buried on campus as we tell the Orientation students that we used to do?????????????

The Kennel disbanded because people complained. WTF?

People don't want to take the effort to keep things up, and excuses are made such as "We don't have time/money/man power to fix that." Why? Because it takes effort to keep things up, and it takes effort to change things.

I would love to work on a traditions council. I began doing such work when I was a member of SGA, but as Rockett mentioned no past SGA Pres. wanted to take the effort to do something about it. I went through past yearbooks and learned about the "Blue Jackets", Barbershop Quartets and many other now dead traditions. These are staples at many universities, but we cannot put together the effort to keep them going which I find sad.

It's time that we all stick to our guns and stand behind the traditions that we care for. I ask all of you, when you see one of our traditions die or begin to sputter, call, email or write those in charge and let them know that you want something done. Don't accept lame excuses.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    solution #1
    Tech should reformat what needed to be learned in University Seminar. A tech tradition exam should be required before passing the class.

Big Dog BCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to allBCSDAWG is a name known to all
    Lot's of good discussion here. Smilingdawg makes some good points. There needs to be a real emphasis put on maintaining, educating and transfering traditions to those that follow. True some die because they just are no longer relevant, but many (of Tech's) die from a lack of effort in maintaining them.

The point was made too, that recent generations are living more in the now and are not necessarily interested in traditions. That may be true at Tech. But I would argue that there are lots of other places where traditions are very relevant, revered, cherished and maintained. We need to be doing the same.

I really believe that is one ingredient (of many) that brings people back for game day. It certainly does at other universities.

Rockett...you're on staff, what can alumni do to see to it that this administration understands the importance of this issue?

Varsity Bulldog GODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her gameGODAWGSGO is on top of his/her game GODAWGSGO's Avatar
    BCSDAWG,

Don't cut the rope... cut the ropes... cut the ropes... How about

Sell the seats... Sell the seats... Sell the seats...

Varsity Bulldog VegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the ears
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSDAWG
    Cut the ropes, cut the ropes, cut the ropes...
    Sounds like a tradition waiting to happen. Are there some folks willing to be the first to have a sit down strike in that area. What are they gonna do arrest 500, 1000 or more people. Make them carry each one you out of the stadium.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    I WANT THE CANNON BACK!! No drunks shooting it this time please!!!

Puppy stephch2 has turned a few heads around herestephch2 has turned a few heads around here stephch2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farright30
    I had heard that the roped off section was reserved for "young alumni" season ticket holders.
    This year for the first time season tickets were offered on the East side. We requested that they be near the BOP if possible, since we usually sat next to the band. Being a new concept , there were only a few who took advantage of the offer. We have been coming to Tech home games off and on since 73 and since 96 every home game. We love the east side, so we bought season tickets this year for the first time and we chose the east side. Anyone can buy season tickets for this section. Great seats and you get a great show from the band. As far as this section being for "young alumni", hmmmm, I consider myself young at heart, but it has been 30 years since I graduated from Tech. Thanks for the compliment. Come join us, we have a lot of fun!!!

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    We bought season tickets in that section too, but I refuse to sit there. Why would anyone sit near the top of the stadium in a "reserved seat" when they can get better seats down low on the east side?

Put the "reserved" section where the band is and it will be full every Saturday.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    Eastside shouldn't have reserve seats when students get in for free...it should all be general admission. We don't have enough fans to start reserving seats on that side. The seating on the eastside should all be first come first serve..no rope blocking please.

If you make it "first come first serve"...then we'll have more ppl come in early before pregame to stake out their spots (i hate seeing fans still in the parking lot during pregame...it's exciting when the Bulldogs run out on the field before the game starts, why miss it?) Make it as for those who show up late..you get crappy seats on the eastside...easy as that.

Back onto the subject of "tradition..."
    We acknowledge that we lack that, so what are some solutions?

Varsity Bulldog Rossp917 is an unknown
    qng,

I recommend that someone takes a list of "lost" or "dead" traditions, and takes these to the SGA, AD and the UB. These are many of the groups that at one time maintained these traditions. Suggest, again, to the SGA to develop a traditions council to research past traditions and refresh them. It could go a long way into making the gameday atmosphere more lively.

I forgot about the cannon, which should be brought back, even if in the form of a tiny carbide. Also, what ever happened to the bell on the hill?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    BRING BACK THE BELL and CANNON!!!! TOUCHDOWN RINGING AND CANNON EXPLODING!!!!

Both of these were part of the PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE :twisted: played on our opponents after every score. The bell rang for every point scored (just hit 30 then 30 bell rings just like the push-ups the cheerleaders do after every score). The CANNON scared the heck out of you if you forgot it was coming. It was just another LOUD reminder that THE DAWGS just planted another score on the losers. The other team (the ENEMIES) hated hearing it over and over again :cry: :cry: as it drove them to a deeper depression :twisted: .

BRING BACK THE CANNON and THE BELL!!

A TECH TRADITION!!

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    BRING BACK THE CANNON and THE BELL!!

A TECH TRADITION!!
    I absolutely agree. I MISS them both.

+ Reply to Thread