+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Carter Leads Techsters in Exhibition Route

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar
    Posted Nov 10, 2003 20:39:18

RUSTON - Senior forward Amisha Carter scored a game-high 27 points and grabbed nine rebounds to lead No. 12 ranked Louisiana Tech to a 99-48 exhibition win over the Netherland-based Perik Jumpers Monday night at the Thomas Assembly Center.

Carter, who will be starting in place of the departed Cheryl Ford - the two-time Western Athletic Conference Player of the Year - , hit 12 of 15 field goals and three of five free throws while playing just 21 minutes against the overmatched opponent.

"I just tried to prove a little to my coaches and my teammates that I'm capable of helping this team," Carter said. "We showed the fan here that we are going to get up and down the floor. It is going to be hard to stop us."

Carter started strong, scoring 16 first half points to help Tech to a 56-19 halftime lead.

"I told Amisha right before we took the floor that she needed to send a message to the entire country starting right now that she was good enough to take over for Cheryl Ford," said Lady Techster head coach Kurt Budke. "I thought she was tremendous. Your talking about someone who jumped above the crowd all night long."

Budke's Techsters used an up-tempo pace all evening, and after a relatively slow start that saw them lead only 16-10 with 14:58 remaining in the first half, ignited with an 18-0 run over the next five minutes to grab a commanding 34-10 advantage.

Amber Obaze added 19 points, five assists and three steals in the victory while Erica Smith-Taylor and Lakiste Barkus chipped in with 10 points each.

"I was pretty pleased," Budke said. "I honestly didn't know what to expect, especially with (Trina Frierson) sitting in street clothes. I told the team before the game not to take a step back; pick up where you left off in March. Remember the intensity and how you played the game and start from that point. I thought our experienced players played like experienced players."

Tech hit 55 percent (43-78) of its field goals, outrebounded its opponent 48-30 and forced 33 turnovers.

All 12 Tech players dressed for the game scored, including a nine point, three steal effort by freshman guard and former Minden High School prep star Shan Moore, who hit on four of seven field goals and one of two free throws.

The Techsters will return to action Sunday in their last exhibition game of the season playing the LaToya Thomas-led Houston Jaguars at 2 p.m.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    She's gonna be awesome this year!

Big Dog localdawg is an unknown
    The player that impressed me the most other than Amisha Carter was Lakiste Barkus. She is super fast and is aggressive at both ends. She picked 4 pockets and looks to have a great shot. Shan Moore from Minden looks good too. She hustled hard all the time on defense. She didn't look afraid to mix it up. Amber looks to have worked on her jumper. SHe is as steady as ever. Erica was quick to the hole. A Ray has put on some muscle and played with her back to the basket a few times. Plus she hit a few of her signature 3's. Tiffany Thompson and Tamika Kursh just need time on the floor.

+ Reply to Thread