+ Reply to Thread

Thread: These new Dogs don't plan to just roll over

Varsity Bulldog TDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the rough TDAWG's Avatar
    These new Dogs don't plan to just roll over
    Tech's Richard feels good times will be had on court
    Scott Beder

November 23, 2003

RUSTON - Keith Richard has five new starters, four first-year players and nobody returning who averaged five points per game last season.

Richard's Western Athletic Conference colleagues aren't too impressed, picking the Bulldogs to finish eighth in the 10-team league. Such facts don't promote much optimism.

Richard, however, will gladly fly under the cover of low expectations, because Tech's sixth-year coach has a sense that his Bulldogs could surprise some people.

"After a month of practice and two exhibition games, I really like our team," Richard said. "I like the style of players that we have this year - both new guys and returning players."

To be sure, Richard is expecting a big splash from junior college guards JueMichael Young and Donell Allick, who have been impressive so far. Much-ballyhooed freshman forward Paul Millsap is already a fixture in the starting lineup and has led the team in scoring and rebounding in the statistics kept at practices.

But for this microwave gumbo dish to really come together, Richard needs junior returnees Corey Dean and Wayne Powell to take their games to another level.

"They really do," Richard said. "You bring kids into your program and hope at some point in their career that they buy into the Louisiana Tech program and develop as a player. Corey and Wayne have really stepped into that role when we really needed some guys to handle that."

Dean, a 6-3 guard from Ruston, has shown signs of making that leap. After sitting out his freshman season for academic reasons, Dean played in 24 games last year and averaged 3.6 points and 3.2 rebounds per game. He started four games, but was never really a factor.

When it was over, Dean took stock of his season and decided he wasn't doing enough to reach his goals.

"It's something that really hit me," Dean said. "I realized this is the opportunity of a lifetime. The best players in the world work hard every day, so why can't I? Last year was a wakeup call."

To that end, Dean has been the Bulldogs' hardest worker and become a leader by his work ethic.

"Some players you can feel it, you can smell it and you can taste it that they've really bought into trying to make themselves a good player," Richard said. "He has brought that almost every day to practice and as a result it's made him a better player."

Dean already possessed terrific athletic ability and explosive moves to the hoop. What he lacked last season was a consistent outside shot. This season Dean hopes his hard work has made him a complete scoring threat.

"Last year I turned down a lot of shots," Dean said. "Over the summer I worked on it a lot. It made me work on my shot and that has opened up driving lanes. Guys are backing off."

Dean's emergence, along with the play of Young and Allick, give Tech an athletic three-guard attack that has Richard smiling.

"I think without question our guards are more physical this year," Richard said. "They're playmakers. They're not always going to look pretty, but they're going to get the job done."

Young and Allick have been impressive in two exhibition games. Young led the Bulldogs in the preseason, averaging 20.1 points per game.

"I think we can help this team a lot with our guard play," Young said. "We know what it takes to win. We bring good offense, good defense and good leadership."

While Richard likes his guards, it is Powell whom he hopes will solidify the low post area. The 6-9 forward from Alexandria's Peabody High, played in 25 games last year and started five. He averaged 3.0 points and 2.2 rebounds per game, but will need to significantly increase those numbers this year.

"It's a really a big year for me and this team," Powell said. "We're trying to prove we can win without the seniors from last year."

Richard is also mindful of the fact that once the season starts, the coaching of individual skills won't stop.

"I told the coaches today that we've got to have good scouting reports like every year, but we can't lose sight of the fact that this team has got to improve over the next six weeks," Richard said. "It's a balancing act I have to juggle. If we do that with this group when we get to conference play, we might be a dangerous team to play."

ŠThe News-Star
    November 23, 2003

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Lots of times low expectations by your peers (read, opponents) and by the media can allow a young team to blossum without outside pressures. What's important is that the team, players and coaches, believe in themselves.

Good luck to Coach Richard and the Dawgs!

Bite 'em, Dawgs, bite 'em!

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    I am ready to see what the new Dawgs can do against the new Hogs on Dec. 17.
    Who is coming up to Fayetteville for that one?

+ Reply to Thread