+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The right way to do things....

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar
    Southern Miss seems to have a vision, and they are doing things the right way. Their results (on and off the field), compared to Tech's results during the same period show what can be accomplished by a "second rung" state school in a dreaded "small town" when the administartion actually seems to care. I found this on their website:

As the football team's success continues to build yearly, so does the fan support and season ticket base. Last season, 20,793 season tickets were sold, marking the largest number in the school's history, breaking the 2001 record high of 18,652. From the 1999 season until the 2002 season, there has been an increase of almost 4,000 season tickets.

Amazing the correlation between winning games and numbers of tickets sold. Also amazing comparing their season ticket numbers, which reflect a lot of work and some extensive and consistant marketing, relative to our season ticket numbers, which reflect sitting on your butt and doing absolutely nothing.

Also, they are ACTIVELY raising money for stadium improvements. They have a PLAN, and their PLAN even has a catchy NAME! Why is it no one at Tech will ever put forth the effort to at least attempt something similar? They are planning a mighty impressive stadium improvement at that, not just a coat of paint. Will someone, ANYONE at Tech please get off your butt and get something like this going?? Also from their website:

Currently, the Southern Miss Athletics Department is in the early stages of a stadium renovation capital campaign, "Building Dominance." Funding from this campaign will allow the athletic department to implement the major phases of a recently completed renovation and additions study that will include such major projects as luxury suites and club level seating and press box renovation and expansion of the stadium, increasing seating capacity to 41,300.

They showed an artist's rendering of this planned addition during the USM - Nebraska game, and it is REALLY nice. It will enclose one of their endzones.

On a related note, I just got a freaking Christmas card from the U. of Miss. Medical Center Alumni Association asking for donations, and I haven't even graduated yet! I'm still a student for 2 more years! You can even send a donation with your credit card! I also get a birthday card every year asking for donations. You know how many times I have been asked for ANYTHING from ANYONE at Tech since I graduated 3 and a half years ago?? Excactly ZERO. Something is wrong with this picture, very wrong.

Big Dog cberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to beholdcberg is a splendid one to behold
    This is Excellent.......

...this says it all - like I said, it's in the administration's hands on which way to go and which way will the support go....this is not brain surgery here. I think most fans are ready to see all the devisiveness and politics end and do it the right way or go to something lesser that would be more comfortable to work with that would not envolve a lot of work...

...the fork in the road is here weather they like or not !...we did not have the internet to express our ideas in the 70's but there was an administration and F.J. Taylor that relished Tech athletics and he did listen. So now you'll see just what these guys in their Ivory Tower want the program to go....would love to see the Hawaii, Boise State, and Fresno State floor plan.........

Puppy dhisaw is an unknown
    USM also has the benefit of people who enjoy life, enjoy football,and enjoy having a good time --- many of the "more spirited" USM students are from south louisiana --- people in south louisiana more actively participate in football than in north louisiana -- i remember my fresman year when i and a couple of other native baton rougeans were the only students who stood when the team ran on the field (trust me, that was a long time ago!!!)

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar
    They already have the second best program in the state.

Varsity Bulldog beef is on the way down beef's Avatar
    Tech had a program with a catchy name. "Tech 2000" - Crowton contributed, Bick didn't and still doesn't. I guess it goes without saying that Bick is no Joe Pa.

A serious question: What are some tangible good things that came from Tech 2000? I never paid attention. Did it finance the new field house?
    BUSH CHENEY 2004

Varsity Bulldog Edward_Longshanks is an unknown
    Little Rock, Arkansas (which will soon be part of the Kingdom)
    I think they have the best program in that state. Hell, they scared off Ole Miss and State. They were on the verge of dominating both series when the SEC programs decided to cut and run. They may not have the resources of the other two, but they cover the small details of running a program better than their rivals to the north.

What Southern Miss also brings to the table is a strong academic course of study in physical education producing many high school coaches that spread out after graduation throughout the Deep South. These coaches serve as a grapevine for the USM coaches, telling them about quality football players who are falling below the radar of the BCS programs. They are often ahead of the rest of us when it comes to finding that type of player because of the network they have established in this region.

Have a great deal of respect for Southern Miss. Certainly would be an example of a program direction that Tech would be wise to emulate.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    USM is the largest university in Mississippi, period. They have a large alumni base that is similar in demographics to ours. The difference is the number of people working "for" the university getting out its message.

We do exceptionally well for the limited resources we throw at the problem. We have no more than 6 people campus wide that are out there raising awareness and money (i.e., 1 each in engineering and business, 1 in athletics, and 2 at the foundation...these are the ones I'm sure about). I bet USM has twice as many as we do, and it makes a huge difference!

Until we quit worrying about appearances and start acting like Baptist, we will not have support or money. If you act like you don't have money and talk about how money is tight, you'll never have any and you won't do anything to get any.

We could double athletics monies in a season with the right ticket manager replacing Flo and a "junior" fundraiser reporting to Ronnie...that is a FACT. But we prefer to talk about what we don't have...and go to the same old folks everytime instead of courting and collecting from new blood!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Varsity Bulldog Bluedawg has turned a few heads around hereBluedawg has turned a few heads around here
    Great post CARTEK. I believe you 100%. Tech could do so much
    if they just would.

Leadership starts at the top.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13
    They already have the second best program in the state.
    The same thing could be said of Tech in the late 90's (except 98 Tulane). The difference is, when USM got to that position they kept pushing and wanting more, going after even bigger and better things. When Tech got to that position, we didn't do much of anything, still aren't doing much of anything, and look where it got us.

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK
    The difference is the number of people working "for" the university getting out its message.....We have no more than 6 people campus wide that are out there raising awareness and money (i.e., 1 each in engineering and business, 1 in athletics, and 2 at the foundation...these are the ones I'm sure about). I bet USM has twice as many as we do, and it makes a huge difference!
    Exactly my point....we could do so much more if we would just TRY!! Don't get me wrong, small steps have been taken in the last 5-8 years. We hired someone like Ronny Walker....we are improving tailgating (tailgate alley, etc.), the fieldhouse addition was completed, there is more student support, etc.

BUT if all we are doing is taking these small steps, and all of our "mid-major" competition like USM, Boise, Hawaii, etc. are taking BIG, BOLD steps during the same time, we are going to get left behind. There is already a gap there, and it is only going to get wider until we change direction.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    things will not get better unless we get rid of the "do nothing" king - dan reneau.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dhisaw
    USM also has the benefit of people who enjoy life, enjoy football,and enjoy having a good time --- many of the "more spirited" USM students are from south louisiana --- people in south louisiana more actively participate in football than in north louisiana -- i remember my fresman year when i and a couple of other native baton rougeans were the only students who stood when the team ran on the field (trust me, that was a long time ago!!!)
    You know DHisaw, I've had those same thoughts for a while too. I've never put them on this board, because I understand that Ruston is a pretty religious (i.e. Baptist) town, and I know some people will take a little offense to this, but I don't mean any.

I think the biggest difference between our program and others in the state is the difference between Baptist and Catholic. Personally, I'm Methodist, my mom's side of the family is Catholic and I went to a Baptist high school...so I'm not biased in any direction.

But, think about the differences between those two cultures and think how it affects people's actions. Catholics don't mind having a few cold ones and throwing a party, so they go to LSU games even when the team is 4-7 just so they can tailgate. Baptists believe that drinking is sinful (in theory anyway :wink: ) so they don't have any interest in that sort of thing.

I'm not trying to turn this into a religious discussion that will get this thread moved to another board, but I think this has a big effect on the atmosphere (not just the tailgate) surrounding Tech home games. I also think that is why lsu was adding seats to their stadium while the state economy was going further into the tank and the team was below average to mediocre.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    I don't know Stray. Baptist LOVE to build things, grow attendance and raise money ! Heck, we will even hire an outside marketing firm 8O to do it if necessary. I know, we hired one to raise over $20,000,000 just for our sanctuary here in Tyler. It worked BIG TIME! I think that is exactly what CARTEK meant by his statement, "Until we quit worrying about appearances and start acting like Baptist, we will not have support or money."

Of course, Baptist will ditch a pastor if things aren't going quite right ops: and do a very thorough search for a new one that will be a true leader/motivator that can bring in the masses to win hearts, souls and raise money of course :wink: Hum...sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    Of course, Baptist will ditch a pastor if things aren't going quite right ops: and do a very thorough search for a new one that will be a true leader/motivator that can bring in the masses to win hearts, souls and raise money of course :wink: Hum...sound familiar?
    So in other words we ought to put Temple Baptist in charge of raising money and selling season tickets? We'd have a great ad campaign:

[glow=yellow:6cdce6d3c2]"And on the sixth day the Lord said, thou shalt buy season tickets, and go forth and tailgate heartily."[/glow:6cdce6d3c2]

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    I personally would not use the 6th day as I am not fond of that number :wink: . However, I would say
    YES to the above!

+ Reply to Thread