+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would Shreveport game count toward meeting attendance?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coona$$tiger
    [quote:a18eba1948="Tech77"]Okay, Mr. coona$$, sir. Point me to the evidence so I can straighten them out.
    I'm still looking '77. I've seen the rule but trying to find something in the NCAA Rules is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I'm sure Frisco will address this once he logs on. He knows EVERYTHING. He even knows more than HogDawg! :wink:[/quote:a18eba1948]

You got that right!

HD

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coona$$tiger
    [quote:c2ee5b83c4="Tech77"]Okay, Mr. coona$$, sir. Point me to the evidence so I can straighten them out.
    I'm still looking '77. I've seen the rule but trying to find something in the NCAA Rules is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I'm sure Frisco will address this once he logs on. He knows EVERYTHING. He even knows more than HogDawg! :wink:[/quote:c2ee5b83c4]

You got that right!

HD

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    You would think so, but this is the Injuns we're talking about. Also, let's say it is as they say on the CUSA board. NLULM might have a hard time getting a fifth home 1-A game. They decide to do this deal to get the 5th game (maybe taking a couple hundred thousand less on their guarantee), then sink or swim on being able to average 15,000 for 4 games at Malone Stadium.

I admit it's unlikely. And why would the University of Arkansas have any interest in doing this for a couple hundred thousand dollars benefit. Makes no sense to me at all, even if NLULM can count it on attendance. Why would Arkansas lower themselves to be involved in this deal? Are they that hard up for a sure win?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    In addition, an institution may use one home contest against a Division I-A member conducted at a neutral site to satisfy the five-home-game requirement. (Revised: 4/25/02 effective 8/1/04)

20.9.6.3 Football-Attendance Requirements
    The institution annually shall average at least 15,000 in actual attendance for all home football games.

There is nothing here that validates the argument on the USM board. He may have talked to an NCAA official who told him this, but what Frisco has quoted him saying has no basis as it is written here.

BTW, Texas/Oklahoma is soon to go to a home and home, but I think the worlds biggest cocktail party will live on.

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech77
    They decide to do this deal to get the 5th game (maybe taking a couple hundred thousand less on their guarantee), then sink or swim on being able to average 15,000 for 4 games at Malone Stadium."
    Including the Arkansas game, ULM will actually have 6 home games next year. They have 4 Sun Belt home games (ULL, Middle Tennessee, Arkansas St, and Utah St), the Arkansas game at Little Rock, and they host Bowling Green on November 6th. (http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/f...een_future.htm) So it can't be about the 5th game. It has to be attendance.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    This may have been brought up previously, but Arkansas' press release announcing its 2004 schedule is claiming both Little Rock games--ULM and LSU--as two of its seven home games.
    http://www.hogwired.com/tablestory.a...&Story_ID=5078

And while there may have been talk of moving the Texas-Oklahoma game, the city and State Fair have apparently met the schools' requirements to keep the game in Dallas for the forseeable future. Both schools now list that game in Dallas on future schedules through 2007.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar
    Frisco , They have been saying they are going to move it to a home and home for the last ten years. Its gonna stay in Dallas for a long time.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech77
    The way I read it they didn't say you can or cannot count attendance for the "neutral site" game toward your average. They did specifically say you can count it for 5-home-game requirement, so they need to specifically say you can count the attendance in your average. Even though it's our old friend "Organizer" aka "eager eagle" helping stir this up on the CUSA board, I'd like to know the answer. We have noticed that, in the past, the NCAA has not counted our Shreveport attendance in their official listings for our average. Maybe that's not an error. Maybe that is the way they intend to do it when the numbers are so crucial, beginning next season.
    It seems pretty clear when you read it! Specifically says you can count 1 game at a neutral site as a HOME game! That clearly defines that game as a HOME game. Later says you must meet the average for all HOME games.

The CUSA info is clearly not valid!!!!!!!!

As for NCAA not counting our latest Shreveport games in the average, note that the University is the one who submits the numbers..............considering how little interest in promotion the Tech AD has had....... we probably left it up to Miss Flo to decide and she figured that a S'port game is certainly not a home game!!!!!!

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pup60
    [quote:4d674538c0="Tech77"]The way I read it they didn't say you can or cannot count attendance for the "neutral site" game toward your average. They did specifically say you can count it for 5-home-game requirement, so they need to specifically say you can count the attendance in your average. Even though it's our old friend "Organizer" aka "eager eagle" helping stir this up on the CUSA board, I'd like to know the answer. We have noticed that, in the past, the NCAA has not counted our Shreveport attendance in their official listings for our average. Maybe that's not an error. Maybe that is the way they intend to do it when the numbers are so crucial, beginning next season.
    It seems pretty clear when you read it! Specifically says you can count 1 game at a neutral site as a HOME game! That clearly defines that game as a HOME game. Later says you must meet the average for all HOME games.

The CUSA info is clearly not valid!!!!!!!!

As for NCAA not counting our latest Shreveport games in the average, note that the University is the one who submits the numbers..............considering how little interest in promotion the Tech AD has had....... we probably left it up to Miss Flo to decide and she figured that a S'port game is certainly not a home game!!!!!![/quote:4d674538c0]
    The new bylaw says that one neutral site Division I-A game can count toward the five Division I-A home-game requirement. It does not specifically state that the attendance from a neutral site game that counts as a home game can be used to meet the 15,000 attendance average requirement.

Stating that the CUSA board information is invalid is premature at best. The NCAA could choose to interpret the new rule so as not count neutral site attendance toward the 15,000 requirement.

The official NCAA attendance figures show these 12 neutral site games under the host school but separate from attendance in the primary home stadium:
    Florida--vs Georgia in Jacksonville
    Oklahoma--vs Kansas State in Kansas City (Big 12 chamionship)
    Alabama--vs South Florida in Birmingham
    Colorado State--vs Colorado in Denver
    Texas--vs Oklahoma in Dallas
    LSU--vs Georgia in Atlanta (SEC championship)
    Army--vs Navy in Philadelphia
    Illinois--vs Missouri in St. Louis
    Kansas State--vs California in Kansas City
    Washington State--vs Idaho in Seattle
    Louisiana Tech--vs Miami FL in Shreveport
    Navy--vs Air Force in Landover, MD

The only games that I have found that probably should have also been reported separately but were listed as regular home games were the three games played in Little Rock--Arkansas vs North Texas and South Carolina, and Arkansas State vs ULM. But the official NCAA figures have nothing to do with attendance rules that aren't even in effect yet.

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar
    The reason that the NCAA does not count it toward home attendance is because currently, the only bylaw that refers to what a "home" stadium is, is this...

20.9.6.3 Football-Attendance Requirements
    The institution shall meet one of the following attendance requirements:
    (a) The institution shall have averaged more than 17,000 in paid attendance per home football game in the immediate past four-year period; or
    (b) The stadium utilized regularly for the institution?s home games during the football seasons being evaluated shall contain a minimum of 30,000 permanent seats. Further the institution shall have averaged more than 17,000 in paid attendance per home football game for games played in that stadium (or in a stadium approved by the members of the Management Council representing Division I-A conferences) at least one year during the immediate past four-year period.

This bylaw that is currently in place pretty much defines home as the one stadium approved by the NCAA that seats more than 30,000 people, and makes no mention of home games played at neutral sites.

The bylaw that defines the 1 neutral site game as a home game is not yet in effect, and thus is not included in the official 2003 calculation of "home" attendance.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    The bylaw that defines the 1 neutral site game as a home game is not yet in effect, and thus is not included in the official 2003 calculation of "home" attendance. - zharkins

........and there you have it.

Varsity Bulldog TIGGERHATER is an unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Pup60
    .......considering how little interest in promotion the Tech AD has had....... we probably left it up to Miss Flo to decide and she figured that a S'port game is certainly not a home game!!!!!!
    The question to be resolved is "Is Shreveport a neutral site?"

A few years back, Oakes and company were trying to convince the NCAA that it is the same as a game in Ruston.

There is some logic to that argument. It's not like Arkansas playing in Little Rock that is 100's of miles away. Nor is it the same as Texas and Oklahoma - both playing hours away from their respective campuses.

Are Tulane's games in the Super Dome counted as home games? It's not on their campus.

Quote Originally Posted by TIGGERHATER
    [quote:6deaeddf44="Bill Pup60"].......considering how little interest in promotion the Tech AD has had....... we probably left it up to Miss Flo to decide and she figured that a S'port game is certainly not a home game!!!!!!
    The question to be resolved is "Is Shreveport a neutral site?"

A few years back, Oakes and company were trying to convince the NCAA that it is the same as a game in Ruston.

There is some logic to that argument. It's not like Arkansas playing in Little Rock that is 100's of miles away. Nor is it the same as Texas and Oklahoma - both playing hours away from their respective campuses.

Are Tulane's games in the Super Dome counted as home games? It's not on their campus.[/quote:6deaeddf44]
    Under the attendance requirement bylaws in effect for 2003, Independence Stadium is not "the stadium utilized regularly for the instsitution's home football games being evaluated...." Joe Aillet Stadium is Tech's home stadium for that purpose. There is no scheduling location requirement in the 2003 bylaws.

As has been posted previously on this board, under the new scheduling location requirement bylaw for 2004 "a contest shall be considered a home contest if it is played in the stadium in which an institution conducts at least 50 percent of its home contests." If Tech schedules at least 50 percent of its home games in Ruston (as IMO it always should), only one game at Independence Stadium can be used to meet that requirement as a neutral site contest. As stated earlier in this thread there is no specific definition of "home game" in the 2004 attendance requirement bylaw, leaving it wide open to interpretation.

16 Division I-A teams do not play home games in an on-campus stadium. The Louisiana Superdome is Tulane's home stadium of record and meets both the current and new requirements.

Personally I have no problem considering all games hosted by a team in its home city as home games--Rice in Reliant Stadium, Tulane at Tad Gormley Stadium, etc. But even those games likely will not count toward meeting the new scheduling requirement except as the one allowed neutral site game.

+ Reply to Thread