+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Memphis/UNT Bowl Game

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game
    BamaDawg,

TECH Media Guide says we are 4 up & 5 down versus UNT.

Lost 1976-1979 & 1987, won 1983-1986.

James

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by olddawgfan
    BamaDawg,

TECH Media Guide says we are 4 up & 5 down versus UNT.

Lost 1976-1979 & 1987, won 1983-1986.

James
    Cool. I didnt really care what the record was, just the fact that we had played and had beaten them, but thanks for the info.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOG28
    UTEP will bring the SUN BOWL to the table and get the bid to Conference USA! The only hope Tech has is if the Sun Bowl does not agree to give the conference the bowl tie in.
    The Sun Bowl is contractually bound to the Pac 10 and the Big 10 through 2005 and to CBS through 2006. CBS would very likely drop the game if the Pac 10-Big 10 matchup was ever changed to include C-USA.

http://www.sunbowl.org/news102703b.htm

UTEP's conference affiliation will not be helped in the near future by the Sun Bowl any more than Fresno State can be helped by the Silicon Valley Classic which it does not host or sponsor.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    ODF - Thanks for the info. I didn't realize we had actually played them that many times. I just knew that they used to beat us pretty regular and I have seen a football in the trophy case in their athletic offices with the 41-14 score. Good to know that we were able to return the favor. I hope we will get the chance to play them again in the New Orleans Bowl.

Varsity Bulldog Edward_Longshanks is an unknown
    Little Rock, Arkansas (which will soon be part of the Kingdom)
    Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66
    They have done jack outside of their conference? Kind of like us when we won the WAC. And if you are speaking historically, I don't think we have ever beat UNT on the field. But I think we are missing the point here. CUSA obviously is not looking at "football teams" as the sole deciding factor for admission. If that were true, why would they take Rice/SMU/TU?? I think UNT is a major threat to us. They would be much less of a project for USA than La Tech. They have a metropolitan area to draw from and they have a "plan." Don't knock a school that is at least taking steps to try to move up while we sit and watch the UCFs and Boise Sts pass us by.
    When they're knocking us, knock back. Took the time to look into this. Since '95, UNT has won 3 games against BCS conference competition. The records of their victims were as follows:

Oregon State (1-10)
    Texas Tech (6-5)
    Baylor (3-9)

You can have all the planning you want. It doesn't mean you'll be able to walk into Bryant Denny and take one from the SEC champs. It doesn't mean you'll be able to win against a highly-competitive Big Ten program.

Arkansas State has a plan as well. It doesn't mean they belong in C-USA. Same goes for UNT.

Football is the straw that stirs the drink. Tech enjoys a better reputation than UNT does in that sport. Even if you were to allow for other sports, what program at North Texas has accomplished a tenth of what the Lady Techsters have gotten done in terms of championships and quality wins?

In spite of our leadership at the top, the fanbase and visionaries who ran this athletics program earlier in its history have given Tech advantages that UNT or UTEP can't match. Those efforts have afforded Tech a better national reputation than either of those competitors.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    Ed - Good post. I would just feel so much better knowing we were doing half as much as UNT and some of the other mid-majors.

+ Reply to Thread