+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Sugar Bowl observations:

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    Those who know me know that I graduated from law school at LSU. However, my family hails from Oklahoma, and my father is an OU alumni. I was raised on OU football. I had to go to a game with this much connection to me. Because this is a Tech board, I rarely post anything about either school, because by far, my loyalties lie with Tech.

However, because this is the off season, and I had the privilege of attending the Sugar Bowl, I thought maybe some of you would be interested in what I observed.

1. I agree with those who say OU did not belong in the Sugar Bowl. I was at the Big XII championship game, and I watched a video of the game when I got home. OU peaked too early in the season, and definitely did not earn a spot in the Sugar Bowl. That showed up at the LSU game. LSU made some really bad decisions that allowed OU to keep it close, to the point that a few inches on a couple of throws, and the game was tied with two minutes to play. Nevertheless, in my opinion, LSU was clearly a better team that OU, and a USC match-up would have really decided who won the national championship..

2. Jason White should not have won the Heisman. There is no way he is the best athlete in college football. He wasn’t even the best quarterback. LSU had a better quarterback.

3. LSU fans could be extraordinarily loud, to the point of hurting one’s ears. However, I was quite surprised at the noise the OU fans made. The ESPN commentators were discussing after the game what an advantage LSU had in that forum. I don’t think they really did. LSU just had a better team.

4. LSU fans literally made me embarrassed to be a Louisianian. No, I can’t say it was a majority of the fans, but it was a very large and very visible minority that were literally making asses out of themselves. The Ruston paper tried to play it down like it was in “good fun.” It was quite the contrary. Right before the kickoff, the OU fans were doing their “Boomer … Soooner” thing. Some piece of trash bearing LSU colors starts walking from the bottom of the aisle to the top, raising both arms and both middle fingers. The other LSU fans either said nothing or cheered him on. One LSU fan passed out drunk while using the urinal. Another had to be carried off in a gurney, and the paramedics had to place a bag by his mouth to catch the puke. Another group, and when I say group, it was about ten or twelve men, not boys, who spent the entire game standing with their backs to the game, saying the most disgusting and foul things to the OU fans seated behind them. One LSU fan was peeing in the hand-washing trough, and the other LSU fans found that amusing. On at least three occasions, when OU did well, LSU fans threw beer bottles from the upper deck onto the floor of the dome. It is a miracle no one was hurt. Incredibly, the announcer had to explain that throwing beer bottles was not considered good sportsmanship. After the game, the LSU fans who did not get into the game were standing on each side of the exit telling OU fans that they and their teams sucked, and to get the hell out of Louisiana. My wife was legitimately scared for our safety at times.

Quite frankly, it was disgusting, and embarrassing for Louisiana. We certainly fulfilled our reputation as being a backward, uneducated and uncouth people. We simply were not good hosts. Also, I will never take one of my children anywhere near an LSU event.

5. I’ve been to many events in the Superdome, but obviously not one with this many people, in that this was the largest crowd ever to witness a game in the Superdome. I was quite surprised at the efficiency of the building. The lines in the restrooms were moderate at worse. Even my wife was able to get in an out quickly, and women’s restrooms, for “logistical reasons” are usually not very efficient. The food selection was not very good, but even at halftime, the lines at the concession stand were no longer than five minutes. The security seemed good, and efficient. I was timing how long was spent on each person to get through the checkpoint, and it appeared to be about 30 to 40 seconds. In that regard, Louisiana looked pretty good.

All in all, I must say I enjoyed the experience. It was a good game in that OU made a game out of it in the end. Both bands were awesome. The Superdome was comfortable. I would do it again if I had the opportunity, but for the reasons stated earlier, I would not subject my wife to that atmosphere again.

Champ Reddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of lightReddawg is a glorious beacon of light
    SD,
    Its a shame that the LSU fans don't follow the lead of Saban and handle themselves with class.

Reddawg

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    Oh, I almost forgot. Prior to the game, dignitaries in attendance were introduced to the crowd. After everyone from the governor of Oklahoma, to each universities president and athletic director to the mayor of New Orleans was introduced, there was at a minimum a polite applause. But, when Louisiana's governor-elect was introduced, there was a very loud, long and collective "boo.” What do you make of that?

Varsity Bulldog american is an unknown
    I wouldn't characterize Louisianians by LSU football fans.

Quote Originally Posted by american
    I wouldn't characterize Louisianians by LSU football fans.
    Neither do I. However, visitors do. They have nothing else to base their opinion on other than what they see with their own eyes, and what they read about in the papers about how we are last in everything good and first in everything bad.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar
    Sooner, so what else is new? I agree it is embarassing because visitors do associate crowd conduct with the type of people that live in that particular state. Even though there may be a small minority of idiots in the stadium it still seems like LSU has more of them than any stadium that I have ever visited.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by TECH88
    Sooner, so what else is new? I agree it is embarassing because visitors do associate crowd conduct with the type of people that live in that particular state. Even though there may be a small minority of idiots in the stadium it still seems like LSU has more of them than any stadium that I have ever visited.
    I think South Carolina may rival LSU in the "bad fan" category. I think it is a result of the number of uneducated, backwoods supporters that each of those schools has.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    I'm glad to have missed that night in New Orleans!

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar
    I became a lsuseless hater long before I ever chose a college to attend and what you experienced Sunday is one of the main reasons.

While I would like to believe there is some hope that those rednecks will reform, it will never happen.

ul-br breeds the sort of person that has no dignity, no self-respect, and no regard for others.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by killerdawg
    I became a lsuseless hater long before I ever chose a college to attend and what you experienced Sunday is one of the main reasons.

While I would like to believe there is some hope that those rednecks will reform, it will never happen.

ul-br breeds the sort of person that has no dignity, no self-respect, and no regard for others.
    Randy Newman nailed it in a verse from his song, "Rednecks"

College boys from LSU.
    Went in dumb, come out dumb too.
    Hustlin' 'round Atlanta
    in their alligator shoes.
    Gettin' drunk on the weekend
    at the bar-b-que.

I was looking for an Emoticon to fit, but they didn't have one with its finger up it's nose & scratching it's butt.

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog
    Randy Newman nailed it in a verse from his song, "Rednecks"

College boys from LSU.
    Went in dumb, come out dumb too.
    Hustlin' 'round Atlanta
    in their alligator shoes.
    Gettin' drunk on the weekend
    at the bar-b-que.

I was looking for an Emoticon to fit, but they didn't have one with its finger up it's nose & scratching it's butt.
    PRICELESS!

How did an All-American-loser-state-u-hater like me miss that?

I read this post and as my name states I am a supporter and student at LSU. I spent about half my life in Ruston. You talked of your Sugar Bowl experience. I attended the game as well. I sat in a section that was about half sooner and half LSU. What I saw was two passionate fan bases keeping a friendly yet competive spirt. Surley there were some incidents, but I saw handshakes and drinks bought for the other team. There might be some of these "redneck" fans you found lurking, but no doubt there are far more repectful fans. You seem to expect an opposing team to be treated as dinner guest. Most LSU fans have a passion that keeps them from hugging opposing fans. You all make all of these personal remarks about LSU fans I just don't see what you are talking about. My view my be clouded by my loyalty to LSU, but likewise you have to admit your view is clouded by your hatred of LSU. That is fine. Why try and blanket every person who has ever thought of LSU as rednecks and inbred idiots. I don't know how much class you have why do you pretend to know LSU fans on a personal level. I know many stuckup snobs in Ruston and many rednecks. (By the way, we don't have rednecks we have dirty cajuns at least call them what are we are.) I do not choose to blanket Tech and Ruston with that. So say what you will but at least quit making personal remarks about all LSU people. And that picture of the "redneck" has got to go. That is just scary and by the way he is wearing baby blue not purple or gold. At least hate LSU for a good reason besides this way to often heard claim of horrible fans. Sorry for the length enjoy the rest of your day.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaState
    you have to admit your view is clouded by your hatred of LSU.
    How wrong can you be. I graduated from LSU in 1988. Some of my very best friends in the world are avid LSU fans. I only wrote exactly what I saw without an ounce of embellishment, then stated what you should be stating as well. The behavior of a very large minority of LSU fans exhibited behavior that was embarassing for LSU and for the State of Louisiana. You should be joining me in condemning this behavior. Your failure to condemn it, like the fans at the game failed to condemn it, is a further embarassment.

LSU's accomplishment on the field was admirable. That does not justify the behavior of the fans.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar
    Soonerdawg,
    The collective boo is because the new governor earned many enemies in her campaign. She flooded the airways with negative ads and personal attacks. Quite a few influential people in New Orleans were supporting her opposition, one of these was Mayor Ray Nagin. Long story short, for multiple reasons there's a lot of bad blood between the new governor and parts of her constituency, and her "I made it, now let me prove myself" attitude isn't flying. She simply stepped on too many toes.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar
    Oh I almost forgot, it's great to hear that with a background of such established and successful programs, you still support Tech. Thanks for that. :-)

+ Reply to Thread