+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mauck Going Pro....Chances of a Repeat Go With Him

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnStOnge
    Everything I hear, though, suggests LSU will be able to replace him and keep chugging along.
    That is what they said about Josh Heupel. To me, quarterback is far more leadership than athleticism. Only a very few can do what it takes in the pressure situations it takes to win a national championship. Quarterbacks with that kind of moxie are very few and far between.

Defense may win championships, but quarterbacks sure can lose them.

Big Dog b_hoss_mac is an unknown
    LSU will miss Mauck for one reason ... his maturity and leadership on the field. That is what is required of QB's to win national titles. Just look at the track record ... Mauck, Krentzel, Dorsey, and so forth. The best QB's don't necessarily win.

The most underrated aspect of a QB is experience. Mauck had it. What he lacked in pure starts was made up for with his experience of age. Russell will struggle for the first year or two. He'll eventually lead LSU to another title, but it won't be next year.

If it were pure talent that wins a title, Vince Young would have led Texas the the NC or Leak would have led Florida. It's not just talent ... it's a combination of talent, maturity, experience and awareness. It all came together for Mauck.

He's 24, soon to be 25. He graduated. He had already been accepted to dental school. It's time for him to move on with his life. He didn't need to come back to LSU. Why not take a shot at the NFL and see if you can get a break? If not, there's always dental school. I think Mauck made the best decision for him, with the blessing of his head coach. It wasn't the best decision for LSU, but sometimes a player just has to leave. It was his time. He'll be missed, but LSU is not left with a bare cupboard for sure!

Varsity Bulldog coona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOG28
    Mauck is a class guy that won a NC! The bottom line is LSU has two great young QBs ready to step in and from what I hear Flynn is the better of the two at this point and time. LSU will dominate in FOOTBALL for the next FEW YEARS because they have a GREAT COACH and GREAT PLAYERS!

Mauck will go down in Louisiana history as the QB that led his team to a NC! He will always be well respected and recieved in this state.
    LSU has too much invested in Russell to let him ride the pine. It doesn't matter how good Flynn is. Russell WILL BE the starter next year. Flynn will be looking for another home after next year.

You heard it from CAT first!

Champ BIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really nice
    To much invested: Did he get a better car or apartment then Flynn? If I know Sabin he will play which ever one gives him the best chance to win, period! He does not play favorites!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    To much invested: Did he get a better car or apartment then Flynn? If I know Sabin he will play which ever one gives him the best chance to win, period! He does not play favorites!
    Then how do you explain the constant shuffling between Josh Booty and Rohan Davey several years ago?

Varsity Bulldog coona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecoona$$tiger Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    Well let's see now. Mr. Football in Alabama is one of the most highly recruited prospects in the history of Alabama high school football. Of course we know that Bama and Auburn are saints, but throw Florida St. in the picture too and SOMEHOW, this kid ends up at LSU. I repeat........too much invested. He will start.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by coona$$tiger
    LSU has too much invested in Russell to let him ride the pine. It doesn't matter how good Flynn is. Russell WILL BE the starter next year. Flynn will be looking for another home after next year.

You heard it from CAT first!
    First of all CAT we should DITCH THIS THREAD! Most of BB&B including myself do NOT care where Mauck goes. Second, you will be wrong about Flynn. And yes I do care about Flynn because I had him in Sunday School and have watched him play ball for 4+ years.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    [/quote]

And yes I do care about Flynn because I had him in Sunday School and have watched him play ball for 4+ years.[/quote]

Well, you should have taught him the evils of LSU.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Varsity Bulldog Screenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    my guess is that Russell is the superior talent but Flynn is Mauck-esque and probably better. Who knows though. At this point, all the QB's at LSU have to do is not make mistakes. They have so much talent around them that they don't even have to be good, they just have to play smart.

if LSU lands the Carter WR out of FLA, wow...they will be one of the top receiving corps in the nation next year! It is good to be a QB at LSU. not to mention you go that defense to help out...sounds like they will be hellagood next year w/ all the stars returning.

Varsity Bulldog techgrad/tigerfan is on the way down
    hate to say it but I am kinda glad Mauck is going ... the only reason we had some close games this year was due to his mistakes ... but, he also did the right thing most of the time and scored enough points to win a bunch of games and the NC. So what do you say?

Marcus Randall has never impressed me, the best thing for LSU is for him to come in and have s olid spring and play to not hurt LSU. But he often tries to do too much and makes a lot of mistakes.

I think the redshirt year for Flynn and Russel has been good, I look for them to compete for a starting role next year.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    And yes I do care about Flynn because I had him in Sunday School and have watched him play ball for 4+ years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech77
    Well, you should have taught him the evils of LSU.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    If Matt Flynn's Dad, who played football for BAYLOR (QB I believe), couldn't convince him I knew I didn't have a prayer. :wink:

Bulldog JohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the earsJohnStOnge seems to have something between the ears
    All I know is that, living here in the Baton Rouge area, I'm not detecting any concern at all from the LSU community about the quarterback position. And I know how a lot of these people that get on talk radio and such around here are. They go to practices, etc. and when LSU suffers a loss they think will really hurt you hear about it ad infinitum.

Who knows? Championships have been won with mediocre (by the standard of each given level of completition) quarterbacks and with great quarterbacks. In the NFL, Doug Williams, Jeff Hostetller, and Jim Plunkett have Super Bowl rings while Dan Marino, Dan Fouts, and Fran Tarkenton do not. Each team is its own entity. One constant, though, is that if you've got a dominant defense you've got a chance. If I had to pick one thing as being certain for a team I'm pulling for, it'd be having a dominant defense.

+ Reply to Thread