+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AP on the up

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar
    Simply the best...Movin on up to #6...I'm thinking that's the highest we're getting? Any other thoughts?

Unfortunately, RPI is 39...Sad day...Does the good outweigh the bad here?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    The #6 ranking makes me feel better at least! :drum: :guitar: :sunny:

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game
    Just not a lot can be done about the RPI now. In a low rated league with no other teams seemingly ever ranked, TECH just CAN NOT afford to lose a league game -- but they did. At least in the Sun Belt WKY was usually ranked in the top 25 and we could hope to get some help from them. On top of that, all our OOC teams decided to go into the tank except Penn State and they took a major dive last night. Frisco is on top of this RPI thing and I hope he will point out what I missed in this post.

James

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    We will end at #5, if we win out the rest of the regular season. Purdue has another loss coming.

RPI hurts us, but ranking can help some. It is, also, REALLY good for recruiting.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    You didn't miss much, olddawgfan. Tech did get four Top 50 RPI wins over WAC teams two years ago.

Here is an comparison of RPI data from collegerpi.com for this year and the previous four seasons. If you look at these figures you will see why I am so worried about seeding.

For committee-haters who think Tech gets shafted every year, the past four years don't lead to that conclusion. Tech was seeded higher than its basic RPI by one seed in 2000 with 7 Top 50 wins--4 non-conference. The Lady Techsters were seeded exactly as basic RPI dictated in both 2001 and 2002. Tech was one seed lower than its basic RPI last year due to its RPI penalty for 50% OOC schedule below the RPI Top 150.

Tech is currently projected to incur the RPI penalty for OOC schedule again this year. Tech will also have two fewer Top 50 wins than any of its previous four seasons going into the NCAAs. If Tech can avoid the RPI penalty (we need to be huge Tulane fans right now), a 5 seed is about the best I expect--and that would be a higher seed than Tech's basic RPI will indicate. With the RPI penalty a 6 or 7 seed will be very possible.

1999-2000
    Poll rankings entering NCAAs--3/3
    Tournament seed--1 (1 seed better than RPI)
    RPI entering NCAAs--.6477 (6th)
    Record entering NCAAs (25% of RPI)--28-2 (.9333)
    Strength of schedule (75% of RPI)--.5525 (56th)
    RPI bonuses/penalties--7 Top 50 wins (4 non-conference), no RPI penalties

2000-2001
    Poll rankings entering NCAAs--6/6
    Tournament seed--3 (same seed as RPI)
    RPI entering NCAAs--.6438 (9th)
    Record entering NCAAs (25% of RPI)--28-4 (.8750)
    Strength of schedule (75% of RPI)--.5667 (42nd)
    RPI bonuses/penalties--5 Top 50 wins (3 non-conference), no RPI penalties

2001-2002
    Poll rankings entering NCAAs--8/8
    Tournament seed--5 (same seed as RPI)
    RPI entering NCAAs--.6139 (18th)
    Record entering NCAAs (25% of RPI)--25-4 (.8621)
    Strength of schedule (75% of RPI)--.5311 (75th)
    RPI bonuses/penalties--5 Top 50 wins (1 non-conference), no RPI penalties

2002-2003
    Poll rankings entering NCAAs--6/6
    Tournament seed--5 (1 seed worse than RPI)
    RPI entering NCAAs--.6287 (16th)
    Record entering NCAAs (25% of RPI)--29-2 (.9355)
    Strength of schedule (75% of RPI)--.5264 (95th)
    RPI bonuses/penalties--3 Top 50 wins (3 non-conference), RPI penalty for 50% OOC schedule below RPI Top 150

2003-2004
    Poll rankings through 2/8--8/8
    Current RPI through games of 2/8--.5963 (39th)
    Projected RPI before WAC Tournament--.6115 (27th)
    Current record (25% of RPI)--17-2 (.8947)
    Projected record before WAC Tournament--24-2 (.9231)
    Current strength of schedule (75% of RPI)--.4968 (141st)
    Projected strength of schedule--.5077 (119th)
    RPI bonuses/penalties--1 Top 50 win (1 non-conference), projected RPI penalty for 50% OOC schedule below RPI Top 150

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    For committee-haters who think Tech gets shafted every year, the past four years don't lead to that conclusion. Tech was seeded higher than its basic RPI by one seed in 2000 with 7 Top 50 wins--4 non-conference
    Frisco,
    You are right if the committee HAS to go by rpi. Everyone knows that they do not have to go completely by rpi. RPI is not a good indicator of which teams deserver higher rankings based on which teams are better on the court.

The rpi was never meant to be a sole determining factor. Human judgement is to be used and is. If there was a great formula that would really rank teams, then the computer could do it all.

Do you really think that the Houston team that was almost beat by Tulane the other night should be seeded higher than the Techsters? They will be based on rpi.

I love your rpi information. I really think you should consult with Budke. We need to increase our rpi and there are good ways to do that. I am not a rpi worshiper, but I do know that you are right that it is used heavily (not completely, but more heavily each year).

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    With limited TV exposure for Tech this year, most of the committee members will have to rely on crunched numbers more than usual in their discussions. That's why a dominant performance Saturday night on the CSTV telecast against San Jose State is important to make a good impression.

Houston is exactly the type of team that will worry me when the committee goes behind closed doors. The Cougars are 19-3 with losses to Purdue, Georgia, and Louisville in overtime. Houston is 7-3 against the RPI Top 100 with 5 more Top 100 regular season games left. By comparison Tech is just 4-2 with two games to go before the WAC tournament against the Top 100.

I don't think for a second that Houston is better than Tech, but when you compare the two schedules Houston's is far better with only one game against a team worse than RPI 200--none in C-USA. Tech played two OOC games against teams worse than 200 (three if SFA drops from 194) and has six WAC regular season games against Nevada, Boise State, and Hawaii--all 212 or worse--with Fresno State barely above 200 at 198.

What happened to the WAC tv package this year. I must have missed that information during the off season. Last year we had several games on Fox. This year - none. Did we lose the contract?

The WAC's regional television deal is with SportsWest for football and men's basketball. http://wacsports.com/article.asp?articleid=45690

All of those games are available for over-the-air stations (such as the Fresno State football game televised by Shreveport and Monroe stations). ESPN GamePlan and FullCourt packages also include the SportsWest telecasts. That package does not include women's basketball.

Hello everyone. I was given a tip about this board by Champ. I would like to comment about the seedings. My biggest fear is that Tech will get a #6, #7 or #8 seed. If this happens the committee could send us to LSU or Texas. It wouldn't shock me if they did. They like to make us prove how good we are early. One of the RPI tournament seedsing I saw had Tech going to Duke where we would have to matchup with them in the second round.

Welcome aboard, dbl! Glad you made it over.

Frisco,
    Last year the WAC had several wbb games telivised. That is what I was referring to. I know about the men's deal, but I thought the wbb would be the same.

The Fox Sports Net Southwest deal that was not renewed was a combined package for football, men's basketball, and women's basketball.

+ Reply to Thread