+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Penn State. For or against?

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar
    Are we pulling for or going against Penn State?
    And I'm hoping that a North Carolina, Georgia and LSU loss today really helped with them right on our heels

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar
    Guess it doesn't matter...Looks like the kittens are going to lose

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Penn State's loss is VERY bad news for Tech. Despite winning twice, Tech's RPI had already dropped from 32 to 39 between Thursday and today. The loss by Penn State won't do anything to help that trend.

Any posters on the board who want higher mythical poll rankings at the expense of better tournament seeding won't have a logical basis to complain about Tech's seed on Selection Sunday.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    We beat Penn State at their place. No one should vote them above us when we have a better record, regardless of conference. If they lost, the Techsters should be in fifth place by tomorrow!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    The Penn State loss is great for our ranking. The Penn State loss is really bad for our rpi. Simple as that.

At this point, our rpi doesn't have much of a chance of being top 25. RPI is a ridiculous method, but it is used heavily. It is not used as the sole determining factor, though.

Many people think rankings are worthless, however the higher your ranking the easier it is to recruit and the more name recognition you get.

Frisco is our rpi guru and I appreciate him updating us on it. We need to schedule tougher ooc, but mainly we need to drop some really bad rpi programs from our schedule - OOC.

If we get into CUSA, our rpi will jump tremendously.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar
    RPI is just the committee's way of justifying putting the screws to TECH. If Pat Summitt had the same RPI as us and was ranked in the top 10, she would get a number 2. As in previous years, once again, we will get screwed. It makes it hard to watch the tournament. Say what you will, but if we had a female coach that played their game, we would be far better off at tournament time.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken
    RPI is just the committee's way of justifying putting the screws to TECH. If Pat Summitt had the same RPI as us and was ranked in the top 10, she would get a number 2. As in previous years, once again, we will get screwed. It makes it hard to watch the tournament. Say what you will, but if we had a female coach that played their game, we would be far better off at tournament time.
    I totally agree. The RPI is used to keep Tech and probably some other lesser names down. The women's game is controlled by a bunch of lesbian faggots that don't like teams coached by men or teams from conservative areas.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken
    Comparing Tennessee to Tech is ridiculous when Tennessee plays NO non-conference games against any team rated lower than 43 in RPI. FYI, Tech is the second lowest Tennessee OOC opponent in RPI.

If Tennessee had the same RPI as Tech because it was limited to a non-conference schedule as weak as Tech's, Pat Summitt would either correct the situation immediately or she would start looking to move elsewhere.

With the same record on the court taking Tennessee's OOC schedule with Tech's WAC schedule, Tech's RPI would certainly be in the Top 20 if not Top 10 instead of #40. Tennessee would barely be in the RPI Top 10 instead of far ahead at #1 with the same record keeping its SEC schedule but playing Tech's OOC schedule.

glm47,
    Next time try not to type before you think. The stones you launched in your post shattered a wall section or two in Tech's glass house. The lead NCAA staff liaison to the committee--vice-president in charge of Division I women's basketball--is Sue Donohoe. You might have forgotten that she graduated from Louisiana Tech (bachelor's and master's) and was a graduate assistant coach with the Lady Techsters.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar
    FriscoDawg,

I didn't compare them, I just said "if". Obviously it is not that way. You'll never convince me that if we had a female coach and played the game, we wouldn't be viewed more favorably. As for you thinking that Sue has helped TECH, I haven't seen it when we get crappy draws year after year regardless of how good our team is.

I never implied that having Sue Donohoe in a high-ranking NCAA staff position has ever "helped" Tech. In fact it would be wrong if it ever had, just as it would be wrong for any school to be aided in such a manner by any NCAA staff member.

glm47's post was offensive and derogatory toward committee members. And since Sue is VP for Division I women's basketball, she IS one of the top people in charge of the women's game as referred to in the offensive post

If the tournament is "hard to watch", your remote control has a power button that requires very little effort to use. And before posting offensive comments, everyone should also remember that your computer has a similar power button.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    It doesn't matter who we schedule for OOC, the Techsters are in the WAC, our conference is killing our RPI. Plus, the seeding doesn't matter, we don't get to host the 1st round anymore.

Conference RPI--other than winning games--is out of any team's control. Non-conference RPI is where Tech is getting killed--Tech is currently only #28 in OOC RPI. Teams worse than Tech in conference RPI such as Richmond are ahead of Tech in overall RPI since their OOC RPIs are significantly better than Tech's. When any school knows that its RPI will not be helped by its conference, it must put together the strongest OOC schedule possible. Tech has failed to do that for several years now, and in the process the coaching staff has allowed cordial relationships with several other elite programs who scheduled Tech numerous times in the past to completely deteriorate.

If Tennessee can play 13 non-conference games with six on the road and not play any team lower than 43 in RPI, there is absolutely no excuse for Tech not being able to schedule 8 non-conference games with teams whose RPI's are at least in the 100-150 range or better.

And if you think seeding doesn't matter, check out collegerpi.com's bracket projection here http://www.collegerpi.com/women/04/ncaaguess.html
    It now agrees with the latest ESPN guess and has Tech as a #8 seed. This bracket has Tech going to Duke for a possible second round matchup with Alana & Co. Huge difference between a #8 seed and a #6 seed this year since the #3 seeds will likely all be teams that could be beaten by a #6, even on the #3's home court. Duke as a #1 seed on its home floor could be a very different story.

I certainly agree seeding does matter. I just don't believe that we will ever get the proper seed as long as we don't play the committee's game. There would be another reason to seed us incorrectly.

FriscoDawg wrote:
    If the tournament is "hard to watch", your remote control has a power button that requires very little effort to use.
    I totally agree, but, I should be able to turn on and watch my team in a fair environment without a political agenda attached to the game. It just isn't that way in the women's tounament. And, the loss of fans is not the answer. They should want to build a fan base, not alienate them.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    I've stated this for about 5 years now on this board and its predecessors -

As long as who is in control of the women's game - it will be a politically charged arena where a team with a male coach is NOT on a level playing field...

My wife and I no longer attend regional finals and final 4's because of the atmosphere and what is promoted there...

Call me homophobic if you like - I'm not afraid of them and I don't hate them (got a cousin who is one), I just don't like them or condone thier lifestyle...

Its a simple fact, there is no way around it - wbb is rampant with the "alternate lifestyle"....

And when national talking heads say that the only way for the women's game to get acceptance from the mainstream is for them to ditch their current political makeup and structure - you know it is more than "speculation"...

I like watching the Techsters but women's basketball is not in the same environment as it was 5 years ago, let alone 10, 15 or 20 years ago....

Amen Dwayne! I went to the National Championship game in Richmond, VA and it was an eye opening experience for me. I had been to 2 prior final 4's (in Wash. when we won, and in Tenn when we lost the first game). I don't remember the audience as being anything other than a family envirnment. In Richmond I would not have called it that. I don't think I would ever have a desire to go after that. But, hopefully we will get back and I will be tempted to change my mind.

+ Reply to Thread