+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another View

OK people, I've finially gotten off my a$$ to contribute to the maddness that is Tech verses the C-USA! but first a little history.....
    I have to confess, being from South Carolina, before 1997 I had never heard of Louisiana Tech University. I acutally stumbled across it through an advisor I had at a previous school I was attending in SC, so my world at that time had basically consisted of schools in the ACC. I graduated in 99 from LTU and had a blast watching the Rattay/Edwards hook up in my time there and becoming a huge Tech fan in the process. I really believe that LTU is a jewel of an institution and possesses nothing but potential and I love to just brag about it to my coworkers and fellow employees, (especially since I'm in Tuscaloosa, AL home of the Crimson Tide....LOL!!!) Anywho, this C-USA opportunity is just to good to get left behind on, I mean if we need to bribe, lets get busy doing it!!!! I read the previous post on attendance and I was embarrassed to say the least!!! To be honest, upon reflection, I'm not sure what the move to the WAC did for us, I mean at least if you don't focus on the Humat. Bowl as a reason and remember as an Indy we had atleast 6 games or so that where geographically able to bring rivalry schools and double the attendance, but now when you have Tech vs Hawaii or basically the entire WAC you lose the visiting crowd and depend solely on the Home team to bring fans. CUSA is full of schools that I guarantee will spark interest and just plain old competition between schools. I have to say if this CUSA doesn't work, maybe going to Indy status for a few more years would be our only option to at least save us from losing Div 1-A status and getting bad press......Oh-yea and to having a few 9-2 or 8-3 seasons would be nice too!!!!
    Just my 2-cents worth!!!
    CYA :lol:

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Good first post, Boston. I almost agree, but I think we would be served better in the Sunbelt than independent simply for scheduling reasons. I think it would be much harder to schedule if we were independent. Mainly because, I don't think the Sunbelt schools (our old stand ins) would be as accomodating in scheduling us knowing that we shunned them yet again. Plus, we would need conference affiliation of some sort for the minor sports and at least the basketball would get a few credits from a guaranteed NCAA birth.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    Boston - You may have seen the poll where 25% of the board agrees with you in that they think we should go independent. I don't think there is any way we could survive today as an independent. As Dirtydawg stated, that would be a scheduling nightmare, not to mention a huge detriment to future recruits (ie no championships, no bowls, etc.). That would definitely be my last choice. But herein lies the conundrum. Thw WAC is a better football conference than CUSA even with their prize primadonnas, the horny toads, as shown on the field this past year. But, with no eastern WAC left, Tech is in deep fertlizer. And with the inevitable defection of much of the west, the WAC itself is in trouble. Therefore, our best chance for survival and growth at this point is obviously CUSA. However, if they overlook us again, I think our second worst option is to stay in the WAC. That kind of narrows the field IMHO. Best option - CUSA. Worst option - Independent. Second worst option - WAC. Second best option - Sunbelt. With us being left on this eastern island, I think we need to continue to show our pride, but not let it stand in the way of our survival. I did leave out another option which of course is to bring in ulala, UNT, Ark St and maybe even ulm to recreate an eastern WAC. But they don't seem to be real interested in that scenario so that brings us back to the other four options.

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66
    Second best option - Sunbelt.
    1-AA is a better option.

WAC with S. Dakota State and Montana is a better option

If we EVER associate ourselves with the likes of ULM, Midd Tenn, and Troy State, Tech athletics will cease to exist outside of Lincoln and Ouachita Parishes. Within 3 years, our recruiting level will sink below that of NSU's and McNeese's.

We got along as an Indy before and we can do it again - especially if the only other option is the belch.

Varsity Bulldog MADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around hereMADDAWGNBAMA has turned a few heads around here
    Good post, Boston. I agree with you. We need to market ourselves with reckless abandon for inclusion into CUSA. Its good for the conference and great for Tech. JO needs to keep his marketing hat on even in his sleep until we are in CUSA. The hell with the other options.
    ________
    F1-86
    Last edited by MADDAWGNBAMA; 02-16-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MADDAWGNBAMA
    market ourselves with reckless abandon
    GREAT LINE MDB!!!

You should make that your signature!!!

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar
    I really think the best thing for us if we get rejected by C-USA would be WAC football and Southland for all other sports until the next C-USA opening pops up. I bet the WAC might make an exception for us and the S-Land would be happy to have us. I would prefer this to Sunbelt or Indy. And as much as I hate to say it I would prefer Sunbelt to Indy anyday. We would be bankrupt very quickly going indy. If we are forced into the belt then I think we could dominate football and get a few bowl wins and be up at C-USA before we knew it.

So in order I would :

1. C-USA
    2. WAC FB only S-Land other sports
    3. Belt

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13
    I And as much as I hate to say it I would prefer Sunbelt to Indy anyday. We would be bankrupt very quickly going indy. If we are forced into the belt then I think we could dominate football and get a few bowl wins and be up at C-USA before we knew it.
    The belch is not an option. Period.

We MAY dominate for 2 years. After that, we'd be looking up at ULL and UNT for about 2 years. Following that we'll be playing the State Fair game against ULM each year.

Besides, C-USA does not care about win-loss records. UNT is not a C-USA candidate because they've won games. It's all about tv market first and image second.

Right now we have enough of the latter to get C-USA's attention, but if we associate ourselves with ULM and Midd Tenn, our image is shot.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Don't kid yourself -

You may not want the Belt to be any option - and everyone may say that the Belt is not a option -

But it is an option and it may be the only option within 24 months or so if we don't get in CUSA...

We will not bankrupt ourselves over travel costs in a WAC that doesn't include - Tulsa, SMU and Rice...

As I have been told - "We don't want to consider that option, we don't want to even think about that option - but it may come to no other choice..."

And just because Jim don't mention it in the paper or during public speaking engagements - doesn't mean it is not being discussed or talked about by the TECH administration...

I'm not saying it is an option of "choice" but never say "never" where the Belt is concerned...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    Dwayne,

You're in the know so what are your latest odds on whether or not we get into CUSA?

I say it's about 50/50 or less right now.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Upper limit 50/50...

Lower limit 30/70...

If CUSA doesn't make an announcement by March 31st, I think that figure drops to about 25% or lower...

Usually people are willing to "discuss" the possibilities, right now they don't seem to want to talk about anything and that bothers me...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    I still think we're writing off our athletic programs if we go back to the Sunbelt. If we do, we'll be way further away from ever getting into a better conference. We'll be right back as equals with the ULL, ULM, etc. types. There just isn't much to look forward to if that is what we end up having to do.

Quote Originally Posted by markay714
    I still think we're writing off our athletic programs if we go back to the Sunbelt. If we do, we'll be way further away from ever getting into a better conference. We'll be right back as equals with the ULL, ULM, etc. types. There just isn't much to look forward to if that is what we end up having to do.
    I totally agree, Markay. "Sun Belt" and "death" are interchangeable.

We could only WISH we were as good as SMU after 3 years of being in the death.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    Upper limit 50/50...

Lower limit 30/70...

If CUSA doesn't make an announcement by March 31st, I think that figure drops to about 25% or lower...
    I have said from the very beginning - during all those rosy predictions by insider, HD, and DallasDawg - that Tech would not be invited.

Tech looks no different in C-USA's eyes now than they did when the conference was formed.

Varsity Bulldog VegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the earsVegasDawg seems to have something between the ears
    I've got to think the team or teams have already been chosen. They are probably spending this time fixing future schedules, division layouts and deciding who hosts the championship game and such. I can't see them waiting all this time to walk in front of a mike and say we're adding this team or that team and we'll get back to you later with more details.

Now if Oakes is spending a lot of time out of town or on the phone that could be a postive indicator for Tech. Or maybe not, I don't know but I ain't got time to piss and moan on this board thinking negatively about the whole situation. Whatever happens happens but I'm believeing we're in because I'd rather think about the postives.

+ Reply to Thread