+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Just Another View

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    FWIW, the idea of a possible March 15th deadline is not making any friends on the CUSA board. Read toward the bottom.

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/confus...ST&f=22&t=3758

I love it!!! Did you see that headline: ("Attn Houston: We have a problem. LA Tech won't wait much longer!!!") This is exactly what we need to shake those bastards up. CUSA is taking LA Tech for granted. Well, that may change very quickly.

The problem is that CUSA thinks they are the only game in town. While they are definately the PREFERRED game in town, they are certainly NOT the ONLY game in town.

This is all about leverage. Since LA Tech doesn't have much leverage to begin with, we must create it. And you do that by pitting one negotiator (CUSA) against another (Sunbelt). I wouldn't blame Jim Oakes if he proactively contacted the Sunbelt and started the wheels rolling with them immediately. It just might put CUSA into hyper mode. And if not, so what? We may be destined for the Belt anyway. At least this way, we're commanding our own future and not waiting for the CUSA Gods to annoint us.

HD

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    There will not be an ultimatium or deadline issued by Jim Oakes or TECH as far as CUSA in concerned -

If CUSA decides to drag this thing out to Christmas, then we will continue to "hang on" - we have no real choice otherwise...

CUSA is WELL aware of that and they also KNOW what they are getting if they invite us, UNT or UTEP....

CUSA also knows that these 3 have no other place to go (even though UTEP would prefer the MWC) so therefore they KNOW they don't have to be in a hurry...

What's the old saying "Beggars can't be choosers..." - I think that fits this situation to a T -especially when your "choices" are a far-flung, diluted WAC or a weak Sunbelt that may not have 8 members...

They also know that the odds of them landing a Temple, Miami of Ohio or Toledo are slim - so the east coast schools are pushing a "hard sell" to try and land them -

The "worst" (and most likely) thing that could happen is for the east coast schools to say NO, but yet they may luck up and land one of them...

I fully understand their relunctance of not being in a "hurry" - don't like it, but I understand it...

And in this case, throwing an ultimatum down or drawing a line in the sand would be catamount to cutting off your nose to spite your face because we REALLY have no bargaining power...

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    There will not be an ultimatium or deadline issued by Jim Oakes or TECH as far as CUSA in concerned -

If CUSA decides to drag this thing out to Christmas, then we will continue to "hang on" - we have no real choice otherwise...

CUSA is WELL aware of that and they also KNOW what they are getting if they invite us, UNT or UTEP....

CUSA also knows that these 3 have no other place to go (even though UTEP would prefer the MWC) so therefore they KNOW they don't have to be in a hurry...

What's the old saying "Beggars can't be choosers..." - I think that fits this situation to a T -especially when your "choices" are a far-flung, diluted WAC or a weak Sunbelt that may not have 8 members...

They also know that the odds of them landing a Temple, Miami of Ohio or Toledo are slim - so the east coast schools are pushing a "hard sell" to try and land them -

The "worst" (and most likely) thing that could happen is for the east coast schools to say NO, but yet they may luck up and land one of them...

I fully understand their relunctance of not being in a "hurry" - don't like it, but I understand it...

And in this case, throwing an ultimatum down or drawing a line in the sand would be catamount to cutting off your nose to spite your face because we REALLY have no bargaining power...
    Dwayne, then, if what you say is true, we better already be negotiating with the Sunbelt. Because you are essentially saying we have little or no chance of getting a CUSA invite. (BTW, I don't agree with that.)

The point is, Louisiana Tech is the only Div 1A school in America without a conference home. (The WAC no longer counts unless they add new members in the east!) Consequently, Tech officials BETTER be talking to SOMEBODY besides CUSA. To not do so is foolish.

HD

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    HD -

I agree with what you are saying - which is basically trying to create some type of leverage when there is none present...

I'm just saying that it will not happen by a deadline - that's just not DR's or JO's "style" and you know how often we try "new" things...

That's what is so scary (sad) about this WHOLE situation - back in 1999 we could have put something "NEW" in place that would have helped to avoid some of this mess, or atleast we could have gone down fighting with our best foot forward...

As the situation stands right now, I honestly can't say that I feel the adminsitration has given us a fighting chance (atleast since 2001) - even if we get in, it will basically be by default and I think we all agree on that to some extent....

And I really do feel that CUSA is looking at the EXPANSION situation as I have described it...

+ Reply to Thread