+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Another View

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    I've always stated that if we get in it is by default with that emphasis being on geography...

We can't go Indy - no place for our "minor" sports, I don't even think the wbb program could survive as an independent right now and football scheduling would be extremely difficult with out a conference....

The $$$ figures will allow us to survive in the WAC for 24 to 36 months at most....

Outside of football, the Sunbelt is a pretty decent conference - especially in baseball and much underrated in men's basketball (thier top 6 vs the WAC 6 is a pretty decent matchup even with Rice in the mix) and it is probably better than the WAC in women's basketball -

I look for the Cajuns to give Rice a run for thier money this weekend in the bracketbuster, don't be surprised if they pull the upset...

We had our chances in 1999 and 2001 to "seperate" ourselves from our state brethern - but outside of the initial move to the WAC our administration has chosen the path of least resistance -

The chance/time for PRO-active moves is in all likelyhood be over, unless we get into CUSA -

Every future move will then be RE-active and based solely on the FINANCIAL survival of the athletic programs - in the here and now....

I'm waiting for the release of our athletic audit, it should be released and published soon on the Legislative Auditors website....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar
    Dwayne that was a good post. I agree indy is an even quicker death penalty than what others think the belt will be. Times have changed since we were last indy. So is it because of WAC bylaws that we can't go WAC for football only and Southland all other sports? Has making an exception for us been discussed or is it pretty much impossible?

Here is my take as a UCF fan/news junkie/board junkie. FWIW

Miami oh and Toledo will not leave the MAC. At least one (maybe two) CUSA AD's have said no MAC teams our coming. Temple Basketball Coach Cheney (SIC?) is Temple athletics and he has publicly stated he does not want them in CUSA. Temple's main sport is basketball and that dude is a legend... I hear they might like a football only but CUSA wants all sports and Temple football stinks. UTEP is poor geographical fit and choosing them would practicly tell ECU, UCF, and Marshall to leave the conference asap. Some worry that they would defect to the MW conference if invited. That leaves LA Tech and North Texas. If CUSA takes North texas it would weaken the Sun Belt and we play in the New Orleans Bowl against their Conference champ. SMU would never alow North Texas to join, and they could get the votes to block that move. That leaves LA Tech as only choice. Rumor has it that 1.5 million goes to CUSA for Conference championship game. So CUSA will go to 12. Welcome aboard gentlemen

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    You state the situation logically and succinctly.
    Let the scheduling for 2005 begin!

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    No_bull - I hope you are correct....

I feel a CUSA invite is the only thing right now that could allow us to go forward....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog arkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nice
    The $1.5 million offer is off the table. Bankowsky says it has expired and in a sense that is true. The offer was for that amount with the game carried on ABC. When TCU withdrew ABC revoked the offer and according to folks in Memphis and Orlando, CUSA has been told that the number will be lower and it will be for ESPN or ESPN2.

The MAC deal is reportedly worth $500,000 so it would be a safe guess that the offer is in the $600,000 to $1 million range based on RC Johnson's comment to a big booster that they were going to have to make a lot more than $50,000 before Memphis would agree to it.

Marshall has said that they anticipate receiving $730,000 a year from CUSA, that of course is bolstered by basketball money that will be a declining balance the next few years. Assuming those numbers are solid, an 11 team league would distribute $796,364. If RC Johnson's number is accurate and not just some off-the-cuff remark CUSA members would get $780,000 for a 12 team league with a title game or $796,000 by splitting the money fewer ways.

Dewayne from Minden,

The Sun Belt does in fact outrank the WAC in women's basketball. The Sun Belt RPI rating is ranked 10th while the WAC is 15th.

Also the tennis and track teams are very solid and has several nationally ranked teams such as Middle Tennessee, South Alabama, and Troy State.

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar
    The WAC will not allow separate conferences.

Even if the belch was 1st in WBB, joining the Southland would be a step forward compared to joining the Belt.

You know just as well as I do that the Sun Belt is better than Independence, Southland, 1-AA, or dropping football.

I have no ideal where you and others like you garner your self-indulged and absolute hatred toward Wright Waters, the Sun Belt Conference, and it's member institutions.

Every post you and others have made suggest that this is how you feel towards the Sun Belt. It makes no sense, and you really have no justification for your hatred of the conference.

The Sun Belt has done nothing to harm Louisiana Tech, and if it has, I'd like to know how and when.

Your hatred toward the Sun Belt in mind-boggling. It is stunning the number of posts made here bashing MTSU, Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas State, and others with absolute no justification whatsoever except for three brief years.

You have given CUSA seven years but even they sucked in the beginning. It is not fair to bash such a young conference. And I find the bashings of MTSU most surprising considering MTSU was and is the only current Sun Belt team to absolutely crush and humiliate Louisiana Tech football back in 2000. Remember 42-21? When a school loses pretty much it's entire staff except for it's headcoach, it's going to have some bad years. That is what has happened to MTSU.

Dawg, you seriously need to really examine where your beef with the Sun Belt comes from because if it is just based on three seasons of football, then that is an absolute fraudulent and unjustifiable reason to garner such embodied hatred toward the EXTREMELY YOUNG Sun Belt Conference.

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderPride
    You know just as well as I do that the Sun Belt is better than Independence, Southland, 1-AA, or dropping football.
    It's understandable that you have pride in your school and conference, but it's all about perception.

The Belt is perceived as a 1-A-and-a half conference at best.

Even with Tulane almost dropping their football and 3 of the worst WAC teams being picked up, C-USA is perceived as a step up for Tech - even compared to what I consider an equal or better WAC conference.

And just the CHANCE of Tech losing to Mid Tenn - or ANY Belt team - again is one of the best arguments for not joining your conference.

Varsity Bulldog arkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nice
    Quote Originally Posted by killerdawg
    And just the CHANCE of Tech losing to Mid Tenn - or ANY Belt team - again is one of the best arguments for not joining your conference.
    Killerdawg's motto, Almost anyone, Almost anyplace, Almost any time.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by No_Bull
    Here is my take as a UCF fan/news junkie/board junkie. FWIW

Miami oh and Toledo will not leave the MAC. At least one (maybe two) CUSA AD's have said no MAC teams our coming. Temple Basketball Coach Cheney (SIC?) is Temple athletics and he has publicly stated he does not want them in CUSA. Temple's main sport is basketball and that dude is a legend... I hear they might like a football only but CUSA wants all sports and Temple football stinks. UTEP is poor geographical fit and choosing them would practicly tell ECU, UCF, and Marshall to leave the conference asap. Some worry that they would defect to the MW conference if invited. That leaves LA Tech and North Texas. If CUSA takes North texas it would weaken the Sun Belt and we play in the New Orleans Bowl against their Conference champ. SMU would never alow North Texas to join, and they could get the votes to block that move. That leaves LA Tech as only choice. Rumor has it that 1.5 million goes to CUSA for Conference championship game. So CUSA will go to 12. Welcome aboard gentlemen
    That's EXACTLY what I've said all along. (Please note, killerdawg!) I still believe LA Tech will sneek into CUSA by default for exactly the reasons you stated.

I'm bothered by the fact that CUSA hasn't made a move already. On the day that TCU anounced it was leaving for the MWC, Jim Oakes told me that it would be March before CUSA added another school. Still.............you would like to think that CUSA has got their sh*&%$% together well enough that they wouldn't have to take this long to make a decision.

In my opinion, CUSA is starting to look WEAK and IMPOTENT because they can't make a decision. This isn't brain surgery. Even if the answer is "no" to Louisiana Tech, CUSA needs to go ahead and announce their intentions.

Otherwise, I think Louisiana Tech should give CUSA a hard deadline (say, March 15th) to issue and invitation or Louisiana Tech will be WITHDRAWING its name from consideration (publically). Afterall, the EWAC has been completely destroyed and Tech officials need to be making STRATEGIC plans for 2005. Other schools, such as UNT and Toledo, still have a conference to play in and don't have to worry about such planning.

HD

quote: arkstfan: Killerdawg's motto, Almost anyone, Almost anyplace, Almost any time.

I have never used that ridiculous "Anyone, Anyplace, Anytime" phrase.

And I doubt that the people that have used it are referring to playing bottom-of-the-food-chain dwellers.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by killerdawg
    quote: arkstfan: Killerdawg's motto, Almost anyone, Almost anyplace, Almost any time.

I have never used that ridiculous "Anyone, Anyplace, Anytime" phrase.

And I doubt that the people that have used it are referring to playing bottom-of-the-food-chain dwellers.
    Exactly!

Big Dog Buddy1972 is an unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRaiderPride
    It is stunning the number of posts made here bashing MTSU, Louisiana-Lafayette, Arkansas State, and others with absolute no justification whatsoever except for three brief years.
    Nothing posted on this board stuns me anymore; however, there are a few of us --- mostly in the silent majority(?) and many older than dirt --- that respect our old rivals.

+ Reply to Thread