View Poll Results: If not selected for C-USA this year, which alternative would you prefer?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • WAC As Is (All sports)

4 5.56%
  • WAC + Central Time Zone travel partner(s) (All sports)

33 45.83%
  • Sun Belt (All sports)

19 26.39%
  • Sun Belt (Independent football)

1 1.39%
  • Southland (Independent football)

2 2.78%
  • Southland (All sports)

2 2.78%
  • MAC (All sports)

9 12.50%
  • Other

2 2.78%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If not C-USA, then what?

Big Dog Buddy1972 is an unknown
    Things seem to be dragging out regarding C-USA admission. Don't know if that's good or bad, but it's certainly boring. Our opinion obviously doesn't mean much outside this forum, but I thought a poll of alternatives might be semi-interesting if C-USA does not come calling this year.

Looking for your preference and tried to include a full range of viable alternatives, but included an "Other" category for those that I missed.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin
    Ya know, DW, the Belt might be the deathknell for any I-A athletics program, but it does not mean that Tech has not earned it. Face it, our attendance/budget suck! And our FB and MBB programs are both bad jokes. Tell me again, where did we finish in total defense last year.....

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar
    Would this work for the WAC, if we don't make CUSA?????

west: Fresno, Hawaii, Boise, Nevada, San Jose, & Utah State

east: UTEP, New Mexico State, LA Tech, North Texas, U of L-L, & Ark State

Bowl Games: San Jose, Boise, Hawaii & New Orleans??????

I would hate it, but if it is our only option??????? Thoughts?

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar
    i posted this on the wac board. instead of adding ull and asu, what about uno and ualr as non football members. 2 reasons: the sunbelt would lose so many football teams, and uno and ualr wouldnt hurt the football rpi like asu and ull would.

west: Fresno/Nevada, Boise/Utah St., San Jose/Hawaii

east: UTEP/New Mexico State, LA Tech/UNO, North Texas/UALR

in football, with unt coming in we could keep our same 10 team format. utah st. would have to be in the "east". adding ull and asu would make it a little batter travel wisein football, but not enough to make up for the negative impact on the rpi.

the sunbelt would have ull, ulm, asu, mtsu, troy st, fiu, and fau in football. and south albama and wku in basketball. thats 9 total teams and 7 football members. i expect denver to leave. i dont know if idaho would stay in for football or not.

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar
    If we can't afford to send our non-revenue sports to Hawaii and California, then UNO and ULAR sure can't!!

If I were the WAC, I would hope for Tech to leave for anything, and then try to execute your scenario on the West Coast with schools like Pepperdine, Santa Clara, San Francisco, and Gonzaga. Have 8 for football and 12 for all other sports. I just can't see the WAC expanding east.

Puppy BigEasyBulldog is an unknown
    I tried to start a new thread but for some reason it wont come up, so I will try here.

What about the MAC? Is this a possible move, $ wise? I would much rather go there than the SB. If cusa tells us to go to hell, the MAC sounds like a better choice. I looked to see who was in their conf. and we could challenge tommorow for championships in almost any sport.

They have a good rep. because of the year they had in football. And in football we would only have to worry about BG, Maimi, and Toledo; of which we could beat if we just played to our talent (ie no dumb calls and a decent, not great, defense)

I think the MAC would be interested in us because of the departure of Marshall and UCF (UCF is the one leaving right?) It would give them some contacts in this part of the south, which could be helpful. (if they cared :?: )

I dont know if this could work, so I hope some of the members with more knowledge about this kinda stuff could comment on this possible move.

Trust me no one wants La.Tech but the Sunbelt. The Sunbelt conference is the only true natural fit for La.Tech whether we admit it or not. The Sunbelt would be a death nail in the football program? I'm sorry but I hate to tell you that the death nail was slammed in when Troy Edwards, Tim Rattay, and Gary Crowton left. La.Tech may never return to that level of play in football ever..........certainly not under the current leadership. The basketball team has always been an eyesore also will not change anytime soon. The most logical scenario would be to join teams that we have the most in common with...period. Right now the WAC does not want us anymore and regrets ever asking us to join and C-USA certainly is aware of that. If C-USA was to invite Tech we would be the "Temple" of C-Big East. In other words we would be the welfare family living amongst the middle class while doing nothing to enhance ourselves to make ourselves better. Nothing but whore ourselves out to the BCS teams of the nation for a fast buck. No decent neighborhood wants a whore because that will just bring it down. Let's move to the neighborhood that will invite us and one that we will have more in common with the other schools. The only neighborhood that fits that bill is the Sunbelt".

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    I agree BEB, especially if Tech were to stay in the WAC through the 2005-2006 school year.

If the MAC loses one or more teams to C-USA in 2005 and then loses more to the I-A attendance requirements after 2005, it may need help to stay at eight I-A all-sports members. Even if Buffalo survives in I-A (not a likely prospect), the longest distance to any MAC school would still be closer than to six of the WAC's 2005 members--Boise State, Utah State, Nevada, Fresno State, San Jose State, and Hawaii.

And for anyone thinking the travel savings in the Sun Belt would be gigantic, ULL's travel expenses were only $155,000 less than Tech's in 2001-2002--the latest year available for comparison.

When the next inevitable C-USA expansion does occur, where would Tech be better positioned to take advantage then if it doesn't get an invitation now--the MAC or the Sun Belt?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous
    Would this work for the WAC, if we don't make CUSA?????

west: Fresno, Hawaii, Boise, Nevada, San Jose, & Utah State

east: UTEP, New Mexico State, LA Tech, North Texas, U of L-L, & Ark State

Bowl Games: San Jose, Boise, Hawaii & New Orleans??????

I would hate it, but if it is our only option??????? Thoughts?
    I think it would -

The quest is would these 3 leave the "comfort zone" of the Sunbelt -

If they are not willing to, that is where the quandry begins to take shape...

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    I question geedawg's pedigree.

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar
    WAC, As Is, should not have been listed. That will change dramatically when the MWC picks up at least 2 of the W-WAC schools.

The Sun Belt - in any form - should not have been listed. It will cease to exist as a 1-A conference after ULL, UNT and A-State go to the WAC to avoid being associated with the belch.

If Tech's admin had the same attitude as some of you ignoramoses, Tech would be sucking hind tit to SLU now.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY
    i posted this on the wac board. instead of adding ull and asu, what about uno and ualr as non football members. 2 reasons: the sunbelt would lose so many football teams, and uno and ualr wouldnt hurt the football rpi like asu and ull would.

west: Fresno/Nevada, Boise/Utah St., San Jose/Hawaii

east: UTEP/New Mexico State, LA Tech/UNO, North Texas/UALR

in football, with unt coming in we could keep our same 10 team format. utah st. would have to be in the "east". adding ull and asu would make it a little batter travel wisein football, but not enough to make up for the negative impact on the rpi.

the sunbelt would have ull, ulm, asu, mtsu, troy st, fiu, and fau in football. and south albama and wku in basketball. thats 9 total teams and 7 football members. i expect denver to leave. i dont know if idaho would stay in for football or not.
    J,

I believe we are hurting the RPI of the conference ourselves!!! That being said, I wouldn't want to add these two either, but an expanded WAC is better than the Belch, in my humble opinion. No one would hate to see us align ourselves with the Sunbelt three more than me, but we have to advocate something and I believe that the WAC will support this. Plus, this gives them a Championship game, probably adds a bowl game (NO Bowl) and keeps scheduling from being a nightmare, at least for football. Traveling to the west coast and Hawaii will still be a major problem, but at least one trip will be eliminated a year for the football team and maybe the confernce can work our bball, etc.

I personally don't know an alternative, except to drop back to the Sunbelt, but who is going to get giggly about seeing us play Troy State, Fla. Atl., etc..... I would rather travel to play Fresno, Boise, and Hawaii for nothing else but the competition. When was the last time you saw Troy State on ESPN? I want the CUSA invite, don't misunderstand, but as an alternative, an eastern expanded WAC is a distance second.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech77
    I question geedawg's pedigree.
    DITTO!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Expanded WAC with added CTZ partners and grabbing a slot in the N.O. Bowl is the only way to go if CUSA falls through the cracks of Wiley Tower.

+ Reply to Thread