+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dorm halls?

I'm a freshman at LSU-S (save the jokes :wink right now. I plan on going to Tech next year. I was looking at my dorm choices and they don't look too great. Caruthers or Neilson. Anyone got recommendations of which one to pick? Neither look too hot appearance wise, what about the people in them. Does any one type of people choose one hall, or not (ie Jocks in Caruthers)?

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Not to belittle your position simon, but you'll find that your college experience is more what you make of it than anything else. So choose to enjoy some of the finest years of your life and dont sweat the details.

That said ... having lived in both in the last 10 years, I slightly preferred Caruthers. But they're really not all that different.

Be sure to get involved on campus .... There's a group for everyone! And attend athletic events ... best entertainment product in N.LA and it's FREE for you! Dont be afraid to stay in Ruston on weekends either.

Enjoy TECH! We're glad to have you!

Champ Dawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her game Dawg04's Avatar
    Simon,

There are new dorms under construction at the moment. Here's a link - http://www.latech.edu/universitypark/

The current Caruthers is expected to be turned into a parking lot.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

I liked Neilson better anyways.

Of course, Cottingham is the best dorm (when it's not on fire, that is)

Is Caruthers even going to be used next year? Should I try and make plans to go to the University Park?

Right now I live less than 10 minutes away from LSU-S. But I do plan on staying in Ruston a lot of the weekends. One of the reasons I want to go to Tech is campus activites, there is hardly any at LSU-S, that's probably why it is so tough academically.

Champ Dawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her game Dawg04's Avatar
    When I lived in the dorms two years ago I was told Caruthers was to be leveled last summer. Somehow I think that was wrong. There will be a new Caruthers in the Unniversity Park. If I was you I would try to get into University Park but if not the current dorms are not a horrible experience. I believe every person should live in the dorms at least a year. It builds character :wink:

HAHA I am on the 8th floor of caruthers.
    I currently deal with 2 to 10 wasps a day, and also my heat hasnt been working.
    Neilsons rooms seem to be more consistently adequate.

I dont even know if Caruthers will be used next year, I just know that Im moving into apartments.
    The University Park is coming along well, I dont know how many spaces are left though.
    I have a few friends moving in there, and they are excited about it.

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar
    Having lived in the dorms just 4 years ago, I'd say go for Neilson. Anywhere you go, dorm life is nasty at first glance. Nothing but two desks, two beds, a sink and a phone jack. It's what you choose to do with the room.

With that said, a dorm is a dorm. It just depends on what you make of it. And I wouldn't count on University Park apartments opening until Fall '05.

Thanks to all you guys. I think the only thing I will have to get used to is community bathrooms. I haven't used a public restroom in 7 years, much less seen the inside of one.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar
    Just wait til you see the bathrooms at the Que-Stick. :sick:

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar
    In addition to Caruthers and Neilson Hall, Hutcheson and Cottingham are available as housing for male students. Hutcheson Hall is all private rooms with two of the floors having been renovated in the past several years. Cottingham is our honor residence hall and the Admissions Office assigns the rooms on the basis of ACT scores.

Caruthers Residence Hall will be open until the completion of the University Park project. The north section of University Park is scheduled for occupancy by fall, 2004 and the south section by winter, 2004-5. This means that the earliest that Caruthers will be vacated will be spring, 2005.

Our students who live in the residence halls have consistently been very successful academically as evidenced by a number of studies. The most recent study by Enrollment Management presents very dramatic results. Students from Shreveport who were enrolled for fall, 2000 and who commuted from home returned at a rate of 36% for fall, 2001. In comparison, the other students from Shreveport who lived in the residence halls during that same time span returned at a rate of 78%. Students have complaints concerning the residence halls and many of these are valid and are being addressed. Still, the students who live on campus have a much higher grade-point-average, retention rate, and graduation rate than our other students.

Whether a student is living in residence, participating in the intramural program, being a part of student governance (SGA), assisting in university entertainment (Union Board), participating in other student organizations, or even involved in the university disciplinary process (of which I play a major role), we feel that this all contributes to the overall education of our student body. This extracurricular experience is the major focus of the Division of Student Affairs.

Varsity Bulldog beef is on the way down beef's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg04
    When I lived in the dorms two years ago I was told Caruthers was to be leveled last summer. Somehow I think that was wrong. There will be a new Caruthers in the Unniversity Park. If I was you I would try to get into University Park but if not the current dorms are not a horrible experience. I believe every person should live in the dorms at least a year. It builds character :wink:
    This is very true Simon. Living in the dorms does build character. Also, using the community bathrooms is good for you. There are two kinds of men in the world, pansies who have to go home and people who can sit down in a public restroom. That's why the call Tech the original anywhere, anyplace, anytime, anybody, or whatever they call them. BTW, if you can't get in those apartments, shoot for Nielson.

If you decide to go off campus, go see Marty's uncle Frank at Cordaro realty. Get you a couple of roommates and see if 1716 N. Trenton is available. It is a legendary place, and I started the legend.
    BUSH CHENEY 2004

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    Dorm life was fun, the best part was pulling pranks.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qng001
    Dorm life was fun, the best part was pulling pranks.
    You know those tiny little fireworks that are like a small tube with two wings attached? The ones that when you light them fly straight up into the air spraying out a shower of sparks? They just happen to fit very nicely underneath a dorm room door, at least the doors in Caruthers anyway. Although I can't tell you exactly HOW or WHY I know this, or I'd have to kill you. But just imagine lying in your bed asleep and having 3 or 4 of those things fire up from the center of your room out of the darkness and go bouncing around off of the ceiling and walls.... Man, those were the good old days!

+ Reply to Thread