+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rematch in Ruston Tickets are HALF PRICE!!!

I think once again the Techsters will get screwed in the seeding for the NCAA tourney. I guess it's kind of like the college football thing. Why do we have the top 25 polls again?

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar
    Don't forget the Dawg House Sports Grill. I'm not sure of the name of the street it is on though, so someone will have to fill that in for me.

Amber34- Of all the places mentioned, I would go for Monjuni's (try the shrimp and cheese bruchetta appetizer) or Ponchatoula's (try the file gumbo). Rabb's has awesome steaks and really good burgers, and I haven't tried Dowling's Smokehouse yet, but I hear it is great.

If you spend the night, just pick one of the hotels near the interstate, they are all pretty similar as far as I know. The ones on the East side of town on Exit 86 are the newest. If you are wanting to sample the Ruston Nightlife (such as it is), try Rabb's or the Que-Stick.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soccer_dawg9
    I think once again the Techsters will get screwed in the seeding for the NCAA tourney. I guess it's kind of like the college football thing. Why do we have the top 25 polls again?
    To sell newspapers, spark discussion (like we have here), and give people who don't follow the sport some general idea of who is good.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of
    amber,

I hadn't even looked at this year's numbers, was talking about the track record of ranking teams in relation to how they did in the tourney over recent years. It's probably true that it's better for noting teams like an Old Dominion or Tech that are winning well. He includes margin of victory in the rating which takes note of teams that are winning well rather than just sneaking by. Rice's problem is that they didn't get any wins in that OOC schedule. There's virtually no system that's going to reward a team for playing a tough schedule without winning other than simple human insight.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    I think that is a better method that strictly rpi. I wish that Rice would have done as well as they are doing now in their OOC. That would have helped them and us this year.

It all comes down to taking care of business tomorrow night. We need to make a STRONG showing. I don't think it will take anything to motivate this team for this game. This is BIG. I remember year before last when Rice beat us in Houston. We took it out on them at the TAC. There wasn't as much on the line as this year, so I expect an even bigger effort.

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar
    When my house was attacked by a killer tree a couple of years ago, I stayed at The Hampton. It was very nice and had a great free breakfast buffet.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc
    There's virtually no system that's going to reward a team for playing a tough schedule without winning other than simple human insight.
    Agreed...and Rice would be in an entirely different situation--one where 5-2 the rest of the way would make it a lock or close to it--had just one of the games against Arkansas, Kent State, Stanford, or Nebraska gone the other way...if I recall correctly, the Owls held second-half leads (against Stanford and Nebraska, late second-half leads) in all four of those games.

Obviously it's all water under the bridge now, but I wouldn't alter the course of fate if I had the opportunity. Rather, I think those games were pivotal in developing a toughness that allowed Rice to pull out later close games against UTEP, Hawaii, Tulsa, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Rice can't go 5-2 before postseason play with only two regular season games and a maximum three WAC tournament games left.

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg
    Rice can't go 5-2 before postseason play with only two regular season games and a maximum three WAC tournament games left.
    Whoops...good call. I still had the 5-2 figure ingrained in my brain from before last weekend's games. Obviously it now stands at 3-2.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    I don't think it will take anything to motivate this team for this game. This is BIG. I remember year before last when Rice beat us in Houston. We took it out on them at the TAC. There wasn't as much on the line as this year, so I expect an even bigger effort.
    Well, you're right that year before last, Rice prevailed in Houston while Tech romped in Ruston, but the cause-effect relationship that I think you're implying (if I'm mistaken, my apologies) isn't the case .

Anyway, the game in Ruston was the first one, and Tech slaughtered Rice 88-42. In the Autry Court edition, Rice prevailed 57-56 on a Johnetta Hayes free throw (how good would this Rice team be with its best player?!).

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    Ahhhh Good point, Amber. I had forgotten that we played in Ruston first that year. I stand corrected.

+ Reply to Thread