+ Reply to Thread

Thread: McCrery staying in DC

Big Dog DCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really nice DCDAWG's Avatar
    I'm sure the Shreveport folks have already seen this, but this is potentially good news for Tech (even though he's a republican).

McCrery Opts To Stick Around

By Chris Cillizza
    Roll Call Staff

March 2, 2004

Louisiana Rep. Jim McCrery (R) is set to announce that he will seek a 10th term at a press conference this morning in Shreveport, according to two informed Republican sources.

McCrery waffled publicly about his political future over the last 10 days as he weighed the potential to become chairman of the Ways and Means Committee in 2007 against his desire to spend more time with his wife and young children. He is expected to announce that he will move his family to Washington.

McCrery’s decision is a major victory for the House GOP leadership, many of whom lobbied hard to keep the Louisiana Republican in Congress. He called members of the leadership over the weekend to inform them of his decision, Republican sources said.

It also removes a potentially problematic open seat from the House playing field, although Democrats are still weighing the possibility of contesting the northwestern Louisiana 4th district in November.

“Regardless of McCrery’s staying in, if we get the right candidate we will definitely be looking at this seat,” said Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee Communications Director Kori Bernards.

Louisiana is already a political hotbed for both parties with an open-seat Senate race and three open-seat House contests.

Reps. David Vitter (R) and Chris John (D) as well as state Treasurer John Kennedy (D) are running to replace retiring Sen. John Breaux (D).

Races are already under way to replace Vitter and John as well as Rep. Billy Tauzin (R), who has said he will retire at the end of the 108th Congress.

A special election could even be in the works if Tauzin bows out of his 3rd district seat before July, although that prospect seems to be growing increasingly unlikely.

The Tauzin and John seats will be seriously contested between the parties, while Republicans have a major edge in Vitter’s suburban New Orleans 1st district.

Today’s expected announcement by McCrery will bring to a close his brief flirtation with the private sector, which began Feb. 20 with his admission to a state political newsletter that he was pondering ending his career.

In a statement released that day, McCrery said he was “in the process of re-examining my obligation to my family, my constituents, my supporters, and to the House.” That came as a surprise to many Republicans, who had long viewed McCrery as a rising star.

McCrery, a close ally of Ways and Means Chairman Bill Thomas (R-Calif.), is seen as the leading contender to take over the gavel when Thomas faces term limits at the end of the 109th Congress.

In an interview late last week, McCrery acknowledged that the chairmanship is “something that I have thought about and factored into my thought process.”

“I’m assuming that I can be Ways and Means chairman,” he added.

McCrery’s decision is likely to disappoint the cavalcade of potential candidates in both parties that had been lining up to replace him.

The 4th district seat is seen as competitive between the parties as President Bush took 55 percent there in 2000, but Sen. Mary Landrieu (D) carried the district in the November open primary and December runoff last cycle as did then-Lt. Gov. Kathleen Blanco (D) in the 2003 gubernatorial race.

State Rep. Taylor Townsend (D) said Monday he had opened an exploratory committee for the race and would continue to seek the “input of people throughout the 4th district” on a potential bid.

Townsend certainly sounded like a candidate, however, saying that “if people decide they want a Congressman in absentia then I’m not their person.”

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    That is never good news when a politician stays in office that long. I don't care who he is.

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    I disagree. It's good for Louisiana to have a Congressman chair a committee. Could give us some help.

What about Dist. 5? Will a Republican challenge Rodney Alexander? If they are gonna take him out they'd better do it now. Once he has two terms of incumbency under his belt he's pretty much locked in for as long as he wants.

I agree with Dawgbitten... (and I'm a Republican)

And Alexander? He's just registered a Dem... He votes with the Pubs on everything. I would consider voting for him again... and I didn't last time.

Big Dog DCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really nice DCDAWG's Avatar
    Oh come on. A Tech grad is about to be Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee and you're talking about terms limits? It's one of the most influencial committees on Capitol Hill. A REALLY big deal. Whether he actually uses any of that influence to help Tech is to be seen (the last I saw him he was on the floor congratulating LSU on its national championship), but it's still a huge accomplishment for a Tech person.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    I agree 100% DCDAWG! Did I just say that?

+ Reply to Thread