+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orlando Paper on CUSA Expansion

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    By Alan Schmadtke | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted February 28, 2004

Where it falls in the landscape of major-college athletics has yet to be determined -- probably by TV partners -- but these days Conference USA has had its confidence rebuilt.

Anxiety regarding the exits of Louisville, Cincinnati, USF, DePaul and Marquette to the Big East, Saint Louis and Charlotte to the Atlantic 10 and Army to the Division I-A independents was calmed by a mixture of cash and schedule settlements. And any animosity about TCU's departure to the Mountain West Conference -- only a couple of months after it was among the schools that voted five new members into C-USA -- is buried beneath a veneer of optimism.

"I don't think anybody holds any grudges. I think everybody's really excited about where we are, where we're going," UAB Athletic Director/football coach Watson Brown said.

Added Southern Miss Athletic Director Richard Giannini: "Everybody's together. Everybody's got the same common purpose. That hasn't always been the case, but it is now."

Starting next year, a mixture of football-only members, no-football members and all-sports members is history, replaced by six holdover schools, five new members and . . . well, stay tuned.

Within three months, UCF and its 10 new conference brothers will decide their favorite number: 11, 12 or 14.

C-USA will have 11 schools for 2005-06, all of which play I-A football. That leaves the league one school shy of the 12 needed to stage a conference championship game in football and two shy of being the nation's largest I-A football conference.

"We'll take one, three or none," Houston Athletic Director Dave Maggard said. "Those are the options."

Athletic directors hold conference calls every two weeks, as do the league presidents. Specific options include Miami (Ohio), Toledo, Temple, North Texas, Louisiana Tech and UTEP.

League spokesman Russ Anderson said there is no expansion timetable, that members are committed to acting as quickly as they can without sacrificing evaluation quality. Maggard, who heads the group of athletic directors, said he'd be surprised if ADs didn't give a recommendation to presidents after an April meeting in Dallas.

Unlike last year's C-USA expansion, this time UCF will have a hand -- and a voice -- in the process.

The Golden Knights will play one more academic year in the Mid-American Conference (in football) and the Atlantic Sun Conference (in all other sports except rowing), but they're fully immersed in C-USA.

A slew of defining decisions lie ahead for the conference: how to market itself to TV, how to schedule, how to share revenue, how to keep five bowl bids, whether to take a stand on academic non-qualifiers.

But all of those issues are on the back burner. On the front, membership issues are at a nice boil.

"Membership pretty much dictates our decisions on a lot of things," UCF AD Steve Orsini said. "We need to know exactly who we are before anything else, and that's what we're going to decide."

That process, Maggard, Giannini and other ADs said, almost is identical to the one C-USA went through in 2004 when UCF, Marshall, SMU, Rice and Tulsa were brought in.

When he introduced his five incoming members in November, Commissioner Britton Banowsky said the league's goal was a 12-team, two-division, all-sports conference that would stage a football championship game.

If league members determine 11 as the magic number -- the same membership total, some point out, as preferred by the Big Ten -- then none of those goals is attainable. The NCAA recently shot down a proposal from the Atlantic Coast Conference that would allow leagues to have a football title game with 11 members.

Banowsky is putting together information packets on schools under consideration, and they began arriving at schools this week. Presidents have the final vote, but the ADs' recommendations will carry weight.

By all accounts, no school -- and no mix of schools -- is off the table. And no single factor overwhelms others by priority.

Geographic proximity, like-mindedness, financial similarity, specific sport sponsorship and other areas will be blended to form a final impression.

"You want the best fit. But you always want that," UCF President John Hitt said.

There's a growing sense that any additional member must be able to pay for itself. UCF was told to expect between $750,000 and $1 million a year from conference revenue sharing. That becomes the financial starting point.

"They key is that we need to add value to the league," Giannini said. "I'd like to get some geographical balance. We've got East Carolina and Marshall sitting way over there in the East, which isn't fair for travel if we go East-West [in a divisional format]. But for me the value is the big thing."

Louisiana Tech and North Texas have the most ideal locations, both within C-USA's current geographic footprint. Louisiana Tech is the only school lobbying publicly to get in, but no one in C-USA really is advancing the Bulldogs' cause.

UTEP has a solid fan base and a Dec. 31 bowl (Sun Bowl) in its backyard, but, according to MapQuest.com, El Paso is closer to San Diego (724 miles) than to Houston (745).

Temple would add strength to C-USA's basketball lineup -- something basketball-minded Memphis likes -- and the Owls desperately want a conference for their exiled football program. But Philadelphia is close to only one C-USA school (Marshall), and longtime Owls basketball Coach John Chaney will fight any effort to take his program out of the basketball-rich Atlantic 10.

Moreover, without revenue-sharing from Big East football, Temple has some serious financial issues with which to contend. Joining C-USA doesn't solve them.

Miami (Ohio) and Toledo are longtime MAC members and are part of the league's fabric. They are two of the MAC's top remaining football powers, and both also have some basketball tradition.

For now, C-USA -- which officially moves its base of operations from Chicago to Dallas in July -- has time on its side. Until the Bowl Championship Series situation is sorted out, which doesn't appear to be imminent, there's no mandate to expand. But it's clear officials at longtime C-USA schools like the idea of 12 teams and two divisions.

"I'd say there's one thing we all seem to agree on, and I'm not speaking in terms of expansion, and that is status quo is not an option," Orsini said. "We subscribe to the theory that if we're not moving forward, we're moving backward. What we're deciding is how to move forward."

A lotta happenings this past week re: CUSA expansion.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    No one is advancing our cause?

That statement, more than any other, is why I am not holding my breath waiting on that CUSA invitation. Tech has, at best, lukewarm support among voting members of CUSA. Some are down right cold toward us. It don't look good....

Champ tylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the rough tylerdawg's Avatar
    If this reporter is correct schools are just NOW looking over possible members information. We sponsor the right sports, we have the geography and the debates will start NOW.

When you put the pencil to the paper......there is only 1 choice.....Louisiana Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdawg
    If this reporter is correct schools are just NOW looking over possible members information. We sponsor the right sports, we have the geography and the debates will start NOW.

When you put the pencil to the paper......there is only 1 choice.....Louisiana Tech.
    It's already gone a little further than looking over info. 8-)

Champ tylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the rough tylerdawg's Avatar
    JayM,

Care to elaborate?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    They are visiting the campus this upcoming week - March 2 - I beleive...

I think the head chief himself is coming in - B Banowsky...

I'm not holding my breath, I feel if they were REALLY interested in us, they would be coming in Thursday nite for that titanic women's basketball clash of revenge - LaTechsters v Lady Owls - that is the (truthfully) best we have to offer on the sporting side as far as putting fannies in the seats and even then we will be lucky to get a true 3,000 or so... :roll: :roll:

But with that said I still place our odds at about 40% or less chance of getting in...

I keep hearing the word o-H-I-o ....

Whether that's Miami, Toledo or O-H-I-O or a combination or whatever else remains to be seen...

BTW - some of ya'll need to work on your posting names - to many names are way too similar...

Gets some of us CONFUSED...

FYI...North Texas is definately in the hunt.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    They need 14 teams. We are perfect for one slot.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Dwayne is both right and wrong.

Indeed CUSA officials will be visiting the Louisiana Tech campus this week, but it won't be B Banowsky coming to Ruston. Instead, CUSA is sending their lead "consultant" Chuck Ninas, the former president of the NCAA. Also, CUSA's decision to add a new school has now been pushed back until mid April.

I'm starting to believe that Louisiana Tech won't receive a CUSA invitation this time around (just my opinion). There's just too much hatred in EASTERN CUSA. Marshall, Memphis and East Carolina are screaming like baby pigs to add a school from the east (read "Ohio") because Marshall and ECU feel isolated. Compound that with the fact that USM and Memphis are just assholes, and that leaves Tech with a problem.

Unfortunately, adding another school in the east would be a HUGE mistake for CUSA . Why? Because the Big East will SURELY expand again and add THREE (3) schools (or is it 4?) to reach the magic number of 12 to maintain their BCS membership. To expand, the Big East will undoubtedly raid CUSA again, and Marshall, Memphis, ECU and UCF will be the leading candidates. That means that if Toledo or Miami were added to CUSA today, they will likely be stranded when the Big East expands.

The problem is, CUSA sold its' soul and screwed itself BADLY by adding Marshall out in the hinterland. Adding Marshall forces CUSA to now "invest" in areas where they will have no long term membership. Therefore the western CUSA schools get hosed. It's pretty rediculous really.

Unfortunately, Louisiana Tech will REMAIN in the WAC for now, and work towards getting an invite NEXT time around. And there WILL be a next time around, because the Big East WILL DEFINATELY EXPAND again soon.

HD

First and foremost Marshall joined a league that they were isolated in from day one.

Secondly, why would the western schools add a team in the east and shift all voting power to the east also?

Third and finally, when the big east expands in the next 3-4 years why would ECU,Marshall, or ECF add a school that could possibly compete for a spot they all desire?

If CUSA wants to add a school from Ohio or Pennsylvania so be it, but it will be 1 stupid move, a move that is based on a 2-3 year plan and not long-term.

I doubt very seriously a OHIO team will accept an offer from CUSA.

HogDawg, I agree with most of what you say, but I still think Tech has a good chance of getting in this round. I doubt the MAC schools would come without a package deal, and 14 won't work financially.

Tylerdawg, ECU, Memphis, and UCF aren't concerned about the Ohio schools taking a Big East spot because Louisville, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh will reject them. The conference is thinking long term in that by taking one Ohio school, it gives the confernce more expansion options in 2010. That way C-USA won't forced to add MTSU and ULL after the Big East comes calling.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerdawg
    First and foremost Marshall joined a league that they were isolated in from day one.

Secondly, why would the western schools add a team in the east and shift all voting power to the east also?

Third and finally, when the big east expands in the next 3-4 years why would ECU,Marshall, or ECF add a school that could possibly compete for a spot they all desire?

If CUSA wants to add a school from Ohio or Pennsylvania so be it, but it will be 1 stupid move, a move that is based on a 2-3 year plan and not long-term.

I doubt very seriously a OHIO team will accept an offer from CUSA.
    I agree with everything you posted above. But hey......LA Tech's already got my vote. It's those idiots at USM, Memphis, Marshall and ECU that need convincing. They are obviously not to be confused with "Brain Surgeons".

HD

I have got 1 more thing to add:

How is the athletic director at UAB,Tulane, Rice, Tulsa, SMU, and Houston going to sell their president on asking an Ohio based team to join their conference?

Every one of these schools have faced financial difficulty keeping athletic budgets in the black over the past 3-4 years.

Presidents of these universities will make decisions based on COST, not future realignment scenarios that would allow CUSA to add more teams over 900 miles away.

USM might be talking a good game in the papers but I bet behind closed doors they are worried more about COST than anything else.

Varsity Bulldog arkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nice
    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    Indeed CUSA officials will be visiting the Louisiana Tech campus this week, but it won't be B Banowsky coming to Ruston. Instead, CUSA is sending their lead "consultant" Chuck Ninas, the former president of the NCAA. Also, CUSA's decision to add a new school has now been pushed back until mid April.
    Bad news. He suggested that CUSA take Toledo back in the last round of expansion.

Good news. His suggestion was that CUSA go to nine taking ONLY Marshall and Toledo. Since they only took one of the teams he suggested and took four he didn't suggest, he obviously isn't carrying a great deal of weight with CUSA.

+ Reply to Thread