+ Reply to Thread

Thread: United Methodist Church allows practicing homosexual clergy

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar
    Dammann Trial Verdict

(Saturday, March 20, 2004)

*BOTHELL, Wash. — After deliberating for a day and a half, the 13-member jury of Pacific Northwest Conference clergy members found their colleague, the Rev. Karen T. Dammann, not guilty of the charge of “practices declared by the United Methodist Church to be incompatible with Christian teachings.”

*The verdict came in at around 3:40 p.m. Pacific time.

The jury chairperson, the Rev. Judy Schultz, delivered the verdict. “While sustaining the specification that Rev. Karen Dammann is a self-avowed practicing homosexual, we, the trial court, do not find the evidence presented … to be clear and convincing that Karen Dammann has engaged in any ‘practices declared by the United Methodist Church to be incompatible with Christian teachings,’” she said. “We cannot sustain the charge.”

Of the 13-member jury, 11 voted not guilty and two were undecided. No jurors voted for a guilty verdict. A majority of nine was necessary to render a verdict, according to the denomination’s Book of Discipline.

As the verdict was read, Dammann quietly bowed her head. Her partner/spouse, Meredith Savage, placed her arm around Karen’s shoulders. An audible sigh rippled around the courtroom, but no verbal reactions were heard.

After first leading a prayer, presiding Bishop William Grove had asked those present “to receive quietly … the report of the work of the court.”
    Finally, Grove announced a special worship service would be held in the sanctuary.

The trial, which began March 17, was held in the fellowship hall of Bothell United Methodist Church. The charge against Dammann resulted from a disclosure she made to her bishop in 2001 that she was living in a “partnered, covenanted, homosexual relationship.” The denomination’s law book states that “self-avowed practicing homosexuals” shall not be ordained or appointed in the United Methodist Church.

Under United Methodist law, a respondent – or defendant — has the right to appeal the outcome of a clergy trial, but the church does not.*

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    I think it's time to become a Southern Baptist. ops: :cry: :thumbsdo: :veryangr:

Big Dog NTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to beholdNTXDawg is a splendid one to behold NTXDawg's Avatar
    . “While sustaining the specification that Rev. Karen Dammann is a self-avowed practicing homosexual, we, the trial court, do not find the evidence presented … to be clear and convincing that Karen Dammann has engaged in any ‘practices declared by the United Methodist Church to be incompatible with Christian teachings,’” she said. “We cannot sustain the charge.”
    8O :shock: :thumbsdo:

Hasn't engaged in "practices declared by the United Methodist Church to be incompatible with Christian teachings"

Lets see what part of the following isn't very clear?

Lev 18:22 You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination

Lev 20:13 If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them

1 Cor. 6:9-10, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, shall inherit the kingdom of God."

Rom 1: 26 - 28
    For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural,
    27 and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error. 28 And just as they did not see fit to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper,

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    That tremor you feel in the ground is John Wesley rolling over in his grave.

The UMC is really spineless if they let this stand. This trial was a complete whitewash from the beginning; there was never any intention of calling out Dammann or taking any stand on homosexuality. They WANTED this to happen.

Not only did they completely disregard the Bible and totally go off the Book of Discipline (something Wesley NEVER intended), they completely ignored whole paragraphs of the Book of Discipline that deal AT LENGTH with the immorality of homosexuality. Paragraph 304, Section 3 clearly states:

" While persons set apart by the Church for ordained ministry are subject to all the frailties of the human condition and the pressures of society, they are required to maintain the highest standards of holy living in the world. Since the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching, self-avowed practicing homosexuals1 are not to be accepted as candidates, ordained as ministers, or appointed to serve in The United Methodist Church."

There is no complexity here. It is as cut and dried as it is. Dammann should be removed as pastor, it's that simple.

I and many other Methodists who still believe in the founding principles of the church and the firmness of the Bible will be watching the General Conference next month very closely. If this matter is not dealt with in a satisfactory manner, you had better believe that a mass exodus from the UMC will begin. [/b]

I generally am nonconfrontational on such issues, but I must say that it strikes me odd that an organized denomination would allow a practicing homosexual to stand in a pulpit. I am all for live and let live, but a practicing homosexual as a minister is contrary to the Bible I read. My position would be entirely different, if the minister were homosexual but did not practice the lifestyle.

Champ zharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant futurezharkins has a brilliant future zharkins's Avatar
    I grew up Southern Baptist, went United Methodist, but I will not attend a church that is part of a denomination that mocks the word of God like the people deciding the Dammann case did.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar
    NTXDawg,

I couldn't have said it better myself. I can't understand how people think that just because they don't like part of the Bible it doesn't apply to them.

I am a nonconformist, but I must echo your thoughts. The Bible is the Bible especially if you are going to stand in a pulpit. It is no more appropriate for a practicing homosexual to stand in a pulpit than it is for a philander to hold the same job. It does not mean one is going to hell; it just means the job is not right for that person.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar
    I agree Bongdog, one is not worse than the other. There are no degrees of sin with God. The problem comes in when people are doing what is wrong and choose to continue doing it rather than repent and change. Preachers are not sinless, but, I believe that they are held to a higher standard than the rest. And, we should all be striving to be like Christ. There is no attempt with someone with the in your face gay lifestyle.

+ Reply to Thread