+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Situation in the Dorms

Puppy TexasBulldog is an unknown
    What's this I hear everyone saying about LaTech not turning on the AC on in the dorms til' after Easter break! What I really can't understand is why the heat is still on. GOOD GOD it was 85 outside today. What's the issue here? I don't want to seem like a big cry baby, but why won't they just flip the switch over to the "on" position on the AC.

Last week there was a student collecting signatures in Hut for a petition he was going to present to the higher ups, but a week later, and no AC still, I guess he got shot down. What's the deal, they don't want to run up the power bill the Tech Powerplant, and if that's the case, what is the energy surcharge for?

Maybe Mr. Rockett can shed some light on the subject?

I don't know about Tech but it is that way with a lot of apartments around here in Shreveport, and even the high schools. It's like they are waiting for a big cold front to come hit us. So I'm pretty sure there is a reason for it, it's just I've never figured it out.

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar
    The older dorms are just that. They are designed with a system that takes a major effort to change from heat to a/c. You can't just switch back and forth.

As most of us know from this area, we will have at least one more cold spell between now and Easter. Right now the choice is whether you want to try to please the cold natured or hot natured people.

All new construction will have individual controls with the ability to change back and forth easily.

Yeah, I was always upset, too, until I found out just how difficult and expensive it actually was to switch from heat to AC. In classrooms, you just have to open a window, and go stocked with plenty of water. Luckily, Cottingham has window AC units, so for 3 years I didnt have to worry about my dorm room being too hot.

Puppy dawgfighter305 has turned a few heads around heredawgfighter305 has turned a few heads around here
    If you get cold, you can always put on more layers, if you get too hot, you can only take off so much.

If you get cold, you can always put on more layers, if you get too hot, you can only take off so much.
    Haha, isn't that the truth. I'm gettin tired of the big boned "Finnish" guy wakling around everwhere naked. It's like that gay guy from Survivor, very scary.

Seriously though, even if we do have one more cold snap, it's alot easier to handle cold in the rooms by bundling up with clothes and covers, but for heat, there isn't much else we can do but sweat it out in the sweltering rooms. There is also the health issues involved. We're coming up on allergy season, and with all the pine trees around, and having to worry about that while having your windows opened in your room with it being 85 outside is no where near healthy.

I think the "real reason" they haven't turned on the AC yet is because they have a business aggrement with WalMart trying to help them sell more fans.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar
    It was like that when I was in school from 1992-97. I would agree that it is easier to get warm by adding layers of clothes, blankets, etc. than it is easier to stay cool. Perhaps Mr Rockett can pass this information along to those who need to know.

I am glad to hear that the new dorms will have individual controls. Other than the new dorms at the tennis courts/baseball field, are there other dorm demolition/construction projects in the works?

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar
    It's almost April in LA. Time to turn the heat off! I seriously doubt any really cold weather is on its way. Even if there is a cold snap, it won't last long. As Dawgfighter305 said, it's easier to keep warm in cold weather than to keep cool in hot weather.

Varsity Bulldog beef is on the way down beef's Avatar
    94-98 were also hot years. Especially up on the 11th floor. I called Reneau to talk about it and they actually let me talk to him. He said he would look into it, and I actually think they turned the AC on pretty soon afterward. But this whole thing is just one more example of how everything at Tech is run ass backwards.

Why don't some of you picket the Housing Office or Wyly Tower. Make a few signs and raise a little hell. Or get a few guys to go to class without shirts. Those administrative tards won't listen until you threaten to make a mockery of them.

And they wonder why you can rent a crappy house in Ruston to college kids for a high price. At least they control the temperature.

The following schools are likely to run their student life and housing departments better than Tech:

LSU
    LSUS
    LSUA
    ULM
    any community college
    Ruston High
    Ruston Junior High
    Cedar Creek
    Evangel
    Choudrant High
    ULL
    McNeese
    Southeastern
    UNO
    Loyola
    Tulane
    Xavier
    Gonzaga
    Minden High School
    Angola
    Baghdad Community College
    Auburn
    Syracuse
    Nevada
    North Texas
    Miami, OH
    Tulsa
    University of Alaska
    Harvard

I'd transfer to one of them.
    BUSH CHENEY 2004

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beef
    I'd transfer to one of them.
    Does that mean you'll be transferring to their fan board too?

I'll help you pack!

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Actually, beef, the same problem exists at LSU. This debate "heats up" about every November and March in the older dorms, because it's not easy to switch from AC to heat on those old central units. It is standard policy at LSU not to turn the heat on in the fall until we have three consecutive days where the low temperature is under 45 degrees. In spring, the reverse; the AC does not come on until the high temp. exceeds 80 degrees for three straight days. This year was one of the earliest AC switches in recent memory; we had already had three straight days of 80 degrees plus in early March.

It is probably past time for Tech to turn on the AC. We are unlikely to have another major bout of cold weather. Even if it does happen, like everyone said, it's much easier to keep a room warm in cold weather than it is to keep it cool in warm weather. Turn on the AC!

Varsity Bulldog Thor44 is an unknown Thor44's Avatar
    Don't feel bad, apparently the heat was blowing in GTM this afternoon. We got out of class early because of the heat :roll:

Puppy dawgfighter305 has turned a few heads around heredawgfighter305 has turned a few heads around here
    I'm glad they did something (let you out of class early) about it in GTM, but at least you don't have to live there, right?

Good ol' LATech turned the AC on yesterday in Hutt, so everything in here is fine now. As for the other dorms, such as GTM, I'm not sure, but it was warm today in my class. It sure is tough to stick it out in class when it's such a pretty day outside and the sun is begging you to skip class. Not to mention that warmer temps also mean that the ladies are busting out their spring wardrobes!!!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Nothing like a slow cruise down Tech Drive with rows of smooth, bronze knees pointing at the sun on the deck in front of the Nat. Window down, fresh tunes on KLPI. And the distant "tink ... tink" of baseball practice at the Shack. Smell of somebody grilling on the little lawn by Cottingham.

Gawd I miss this time of year in Russ-town.

+ Reply to Thread