+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jacko Coming to the Capitol

Big Dog DCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really nice DCDAWG's Avatar
    Never a dull moment on the House side...

CBC to Welcome King of Pop at Weekly Meeting

By Erin P. Billings
    Roll Call Staff

Thursday, Mar. 25; 04:12pm

“King of Pop” Michael Jackson, recently indicted on child molestation charges, is scheduled to meet with the Congressional Black Caucus on Wednesday to talk about world affairs.

Jackson requested the meeting with the 38-member group to discuss his humanitarian efforts including his work to help Africa fight its AIDS epidemic. He will attend the CBC’s regular Wednesday meeting at noon.

Rep. William Lacy Clay (D-Mo.), a proponent of the visit, said Jackson is innocent until proven guilty under the law and should be welcomed by the Members. He said he wants to show support for Jackson, who has been a backer of the CBC for many years.

“It is good we show our support to Michael Jackson,” said Clay. “He gives so much of himself monetarily and through his talent.”

Jackson has pleaded innocent to seven counts of committing lewd or lascivious acts upon a child under age 14, and two counts of administering an intoxicating agent to the child.

Clay said like the public, the CBC shouldn’t prejudge Jackson before the legal process has worked its will.

“I want to stand with him and show my support to Michael Jackson,” he said.

But not all CBC members are delighted with the visit.

One Caucus member, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said it isn’t in the best interest of the CBC to host Jackson at this time, given the seriousness of the allegations.

“I find it ironic that every time someone gets in trouble they run to the CBC,” said the Member. “We haven’t seen or heard from this guy prior to this.”

The Member expected about half of the CBC would attend the meeting.

“Some people are troubled by the repeated allegations,” the CBC lawmaker said. “They haven’t judged him, but they are troubled by the allegations.”

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    WADR, who cares? The CBC won't even extend membership to black Republican Congressmen; they are a rubber stamp for Democrat party initiatives!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar
    That's about what you would expect from them. What a role model for society. Anyone can see he is nuts, whether he is guilty or innocent.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    8O What?? I thought he was white! :?

Big Dog DCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really nice DCDAWG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK
    WADR, who cares? The CBC won't even extend membership to black Republican Congressmen; they are a rubber stamp for Democrat party initiatives!
    Actually I think it's the other way around in many cases. Democrats are often pushed by the CBC to support things they wouldn't ordinarily go for. Unfortunately the CBC provides a lot of grist for the Republican mill when they host Michael Jackson, show support for Haitian President Aristide and push for silly things like slavery reparations. I have to hold my nose on a number of Democratic stands. Just shows the party has a big tent. To me it's better than having to saying sieg heil to a single platform.

What does WADR stand for?

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    WithAllDueRespect

Please don't confuse the Democrat Party with a big tent 'cause it ain't so!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

I've seen that mentioned somewhere on here before and it just doesn't make any sense to me. Any tent that can cover conservatives like Zell Miller, John Breaux and liberal freaks like Dennis Kucinich and Barbara Lee -- even James Traficant -- is pretty big.
    The only Republican I've ever seen go off the reservation is maybe John McCain. Now he's a good guy -- brutally honest, a true budget hawk. I would have voted for him in 2000, but the dominant right wing of the party didn't like him. I guess he fails the old abortion litmus test. Now that's a tiny tent.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDAWG
    I guess he fails the old abortion litmus test. Now that's a tiny tent.
    Not totally off subject but since you brought it up, I would say that the killing of millions of babies would fill a HUGE TENT! :x Probably a bigger tent than man could possible make.

Dude, that is some deep thought you got going on there.

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DCDAWG
    I've seen that mentioned somewhere on here before and it just doesn't make any sense to me. Any tent that can cover conservatives like Zell Miller, John Breaux and liberal freaks like Dennis Kucinich and Barbara Lee -- even James Traficant -- is pretty big.
    The only Republican I've ever seen go off the reservation is maybe John McCain. Now he's a good guy -- brutally honest, a true budget hawk. I would have voted for him in 2000, but the dominant right wing of the party didn't like him. I guess he fails the old abortion litmus test. Now that's a tiny tent.
    Are you NUTS?!!!!!!! Lincoln Chafee, Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, and how bout the newest member of the Dem Senate, the lovable James "my party has lost it's direction" Jeffords(before, he made the switch)!!!!!!!

Come on DC...

That's right, Memdawg, I'm nuts. With seven exclamation marks. BongDog and I have been pulling on some kind stuff.

Collins, Snowe and Chaffee are not exactly renegades. They fight the president and his cronies on some environmental issues but they generally fall in line. You don't find them endorsing Kerry for president the way Miller supports Bush. By the way, Jeffords is an independent, not a Dem. Come on.

The CBC must have been reading this thread.

CBC Cancels Meeting With Jackson

By Erin P. Billings
    Roll Call Staff

Friday, Mar. 26; 03:24pm

The Congressional Black Caucus, citing a full agenda at Wednesday’s meeting, has canceled a scheduled visit from pop icon Michael Jackson.

Roll Call reported Thursday that Jackson planned to attend the CBC’s regular weekly meeting to discuss world affairs and his humanitarian efforts abroad, including Africa. The 38-member Caucus announced the visit is off today.

Jackson, under indictment on child molestation charges, originally requested the meeting with the CBC. The move sparked controversy among caucus members and the full Democratic Caucus given the musician’s legal troubles, with many worrying it would be politically unwise to affiliate with him at this time.

While some CBC members said they welcomed the chance to meet with Jackson and praised him for his support of the caucus, others said privately they didn’t plan to attend the meeting.

Legal issues aside, CBC officials said they had to opt out of the Jackson meeting because their Wednesday agenda is full, and cannot accommodate the star. Jackson, however, will be setting up separate meetings with House and Senate Democratic and Republican Members, they said.

“We understand his representatives are seeking to put together a meeting with Members of Congress — Democrats and Republicans in the House and Senate — and our Members who wish to attend will do so,” said Paul Brathwaite, executive director of the CBC.

+ Reply to Thread