+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More change at Auburn--Joe Ciampi calls it a career

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=1768167

Thursday, March 25, 2004
    Associated Press

Ciampi retires two days after loss to UConn

AUBURN, Ala. -- Auburn women's basketball coach Joe Ciampi retired Thursday, ending a quarter-century with a team he once led to three straight national championship games.

He is the 10th winningest coach in the sport's history (607-213), and he took the Tigers to the NCAA Tournament 16 times.

Ciampi, 57, retired two days after the Tigers lost 79-53 to defending champion Connecticut in the second round.

"I feel extremely fortunate that I've been able to coach at Auburn for 25 years, and now I feel it's time for a change," Ciampi said.

"It's time for family."

Auburn's three straight appearances in the title game, starting in 1988, all ended in losses. In the Southeastern Conference, Ciampi won three regular-season championships and four tournament titles.

Ciampi recommended that the school hire assistant coach Joanie O'Brien as his replacement.

Auburn is also looking for a men's basketball coach. Cliff Ellis was fired last week after the Tigers missed the postseason for the second time in three years.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    I guess Budke's name will surface for the Auburn job too.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute
    If Auburn is interested, I would expect Budke to strongly consider that position.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    Not me, I expect Budke to be right here. This is what he wanted. I think most of you underestimate what the Lady Techster name means. This is a great place to be Head Coach. Yes, the money is probably not quiet as good as a few of the programs in the Big 12 and SEC, but it is decent, especially with the camp and promo money.

Lets just hang tight and see. I think most will be surprised.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    Not me, I expect Budke to be right here. This is what he wanted. I think most of you underestimate what the Lady Techster name means. This is a great place to be Head Coach. Yes, the money is probably not quiet as good as a few of the programs in the Big 12 and SEC, but it is decent, especially with the camp and promo money.

Lets just hang tight and see. I think most will be surprised.
    I agree 100% with Champion on this one. The only thing that might screw this up would be if BUDKE has the perception of a poor attitude on DR's part ,with athletics as a whole, at TECH.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    The only thing that might screw this up would be if BUDKE has the perception of a poor attitude on DR's part ,with athletics as a whole, at TECH.
    Exactly, Ray.

Then again you never know really what else he may want once you start coaching family and your free time are valuable more so then before. It could get interesting

+ Reply to Thread