+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rumor Alert: It's Tech vs UTEP for final CUSA slot

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar
    I agree with that statement. The "few" fans we do have, are extremely diehards. But I guess that's where we are lacking, the casual fan.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Geedawg must not have attended many away games. We almost always have a good travel crowd. For one, we are the hard core fans and have a great LOUD time together! An absolute BLAST!! It just seems more spirited at times at the away games. That is how we bring those numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous
    I don't mean to bug you, but do you have any idea how the USM administration feels about this? We have heard that they are not choosing sides unless eveyone else picks a team, then they will vote for that team. I can't imagine them not seeing the positives in adding La tech, but I have been wrong before...... by the way, who is the president of your university?

Thanks,
    I have no clue where our administration stands. Aside from the borderline disparaging comments quoted some time ago from our AD, I haven't seen a word from anybody about anything. I have to agree, though, that anybody with two licks of sense would have to see that La Tech would do a lot more for us as far as building interest in our schools' programs that UTEP.

I hear and see people talk about how great UTEP's attendance at home is. Simply put, they're full of it. While the Miners did draw and average of 44,715 per game for football in 2000, the full story from '98 on has been:

1998: 20,145
    1999: 34,344
    2001: 28,360
    2002: 28,310
    2003: 20,009

(Source: http://www.kenn.com/sports/football/ncaa/ )

Yeah, 20,009. That's worth adding a team 900 miles from anybody in your conference who won't bring ANYBODY to your games. :roll: Thank you for playing, please try again.

To answer your second question, our Prez is Shelby Thames. Right now, his name is mud with a lot of the univ. community. People (meaning the profs) didn't like him from the start, and then he, virturally unannounced, merged a few colleges (and thus eliminated some deans' positions). Needless to say, that went over REAL well....

In the latest episode, he canned two tenured profs in mid-semester. He says they violated school policy and may have even vioalted the law during the course of their investigation of what they say was a VPs misleading resume. There have been rallies on campus calling for Thames' resignation over the past 6 weeks or so.

The people who don't like him say he's a blind tyrant. The people who do say he's simply trying to make the profs actually work for a living. I don't know enough about the inner workings on campus to take sides.

This is all probably more than you wanted to know, but, I figured I'd throw that in since it does affect his political power to a certain degree.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarborPointe

I have no clue where our administration stands. Aside from the borderline disparaging comments quoted some time ago from our AD, I haven't seen a word from anybody about anything. I have to agree, though, that anybody with two licks of sense would have to see that La Tech would do a lot more for us as far as building interest in our schools' programs that UTEP.

I hear and see people talk about how great UTEP's attendance at home is. Simply put, they're full of it. While the Miners did draw and average of 44,715 per game for football in 2000, the full story from '98 on has been:

1998: 20,145
    1999: 34,344
    2001: 28,360
    2002: 28,310
    2003: 20,009

(Source: http://www.kenn.com/sports/football/ncaa/ )

Yeah, 20,009. That's worth adding a team 900 miles from anybody in your conference who won't bring ANYBODY to your games. :roll: Thank you for playing, please try again.

To answer your second question, our Prez is Shelby Thames. Right now, his name is mud with a lot of the univ. community. People (meaning the profs) didn't like him from the start, and then he, virturally unannounced, merged a few colleges (and thus eliminated some deans' positions). Needless to say, that went over REAL well....

In the latest episode, he canned two tenured profs in mid-semester. He says they violated school policy and may have even vioalted the law during the course of their investigation of what they say was a VPs misleading resume. There have been rallies on campus calling for Thames' resignation over the past 6 weeks or so.

The people who don't like him say he's a blind tyrant. The people who do say he's simply trying to make the profs actually work for a living. I don't know enough about the inner workings on campus to take sides.

This is all probably more than you wanted to know, but, I figured I'd throw that in since it does affect his political power to a certain degree.
    HP,

Thanks for the response. I didn't know all that. I know your AD was once at NLU and probably doesn't like us, but I knew nothing about your prez. Sounds like he has more on his mind than C-USA.

It is nice to have some one from So. Miss who has some sense. I have always advocated reinstating our past affiliation with So. Miss, but if everyone is as arrogant as the clueless fools who post on the C-USA board, I am not sure I can hang without at least letting their ignorance get to me. I have a very short fuse when it comes to people putting down Tech, especially with no real basis. If we did something to them; then I could understand some of it. All we wanted was to become part of their conference and you would have thought we killed their first born. I guess I have to learn to turn the other cheek.

thanks again.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Hey, DFIH......sorry to get off the subject here but ......we didn't make it to "Bull & Finch" tonight as you advised, because we had reservations elsewhere. However, we will make it to B&F tomorrow night. We'll drink a few in your honor.

A friend of mine told me there's also a great place near Finway Park that we will be going to tomorrrow, but I forgot the name of it.

Talk to you tomorrow.

HD

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    Hey, DFIH......sorry to get off the subject here but ......we didn't make it to "Bull & Finch" tonight as you advised, because we had reservations elsewhere. However, we will make it to B&F tomorrow night. We'll drink a few in your honor.

A friend of mine told me there's also a great place near Finway Park that we will be going to tomorrrow, but I forgot the name of it.

Talk to you tomorrow.

HD
    HD,

Did you at least go downtown????? Don't leave Boston without going to Quincy Market. They need to know you down there.

Have fun and please remember, take a cab............

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar
    HD, say hello to J.B. III while you're there.

Just kidding folks. :haha:

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geedawg
    4000 to travel is laughable when you cant even get more than 15000 at a home game. Attendance sucks all the way around concerning Tech because of the mediocrity of the product. In the case of the Techsters, the product is excellent but he competition always has been suspect. As a result the fan base has been apathetic.
    You continue to be a joke, geedawg - or is it geeI'mnotadawgfan? Tech has brought well more to 4000 in recent years to games at ULL, Rice, SMU, LSU. I believe you've not even committed that you attend home games, so I'm guessing you would know nothing of our ability to travel in football.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    [quote:db782563fc="HogDawg"]Hey, DFIH......sorry to get off the subject here but ......we didn't make it to "Bull & Finch" tonight as you advised, because we had reservations elsewhere. However, we will make it to B&F tomorrow night. We'll drink a few in your honor.

Talk to you tomorrow.

HD
    HD,

Did you at least go downtown????? Don't leave Boston without going to Quincy Market. They need to know you down there.

Have fun and please remember, take a cab............[/quote:db782563fc]

A Tech fan in Boston has to ride the "T"

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar
    [quote:462b316851="HarborPointe"][quote:462b316851="Cal&Ken"]I can't imagine that it would not be a profitable situation for them. They would have the revenue from the game and probably TV money as well. 1/12th of something has got to be more than 1/11th of nothing. Of course I understand there are other pots as well, but, the game has got to be a win win for everyone I would think.
    The million dollar question (no pun intended) is how much the TV rights would go for. Being that this is a league full of teams with no national following, I'm not optimistic about such a game's value.

Attendance should be OK so long as we do like the MAC and play it on somebody's home turf. A neutral-site game could result in an embarassment.

The potential of a title game is one more reason I'm hoping Tech gets invited. For that game to mean anything at all, it's going to have to be a matchup of two truly good teams--probably one with at least 9 wins and some kind of (newly expanded) BCS implications. Y'all may be down now, but the Bulldogs are the only team out there that has even come close to posting that kind of record and making a blip on the national radar in the past decade. Y'all have a far greater chance of bringing value to that game in the near future than any of these other chumps.[/quote:462b316851]

HP,

Thank you for the kind words. Perhaps you can enlighten me on how the heck the USM fans on the C-USA message boards got so damn arrogant???/I have never seen anything like it. You would think that they were the second coming of Knute Rockne to read their posts. I for one am very excited about playing in Mississippi again since I have so many friends in Jackson, Liberty/McComb, and Pascagoula areas. I love to travel down that way, especially to the Beau Rivage. Reading the posts on the C-USA boards leave a very nasty taste in my mouth for So Miss fans.[/quote:462b316851]

Where do you live? I live in Centreville, 13 miles east of Liberty, and 30 miles from McComb. I know alot of people in both towns. Send me a private message to see if we know any of the same people.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game
    4000 to travel is laughable when you cant even get more than 15000 at a home game. Attendance sucks all the way around concerning Tech because of the mediocrity of the product. In the case of the Techsters, the product is excellent but he competition always has been suspect. As a result the fan base has been apathetic.
    Your obviously not a Tech fan and you damn sure don't go to the road games. We routinely bring 4,000 to road games if it is within a days drive.

The only thing "suspect" is you geedawg after you post crap like on this thread.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    i've been to the Rice/Tech game at Reliant Stadium in 02, ask Rice how many fans we brought. I know when we played A&M we had a nice blue section also.

In '02 we had as many fans in Reliant as the Owls did; we just forgot to bring our football team(sorry couldn't resist that softball). We also had approximately 3000 at Kyle Field that year. I wasn't at Ford Field in Dallas that year, but I heard we were at par with the Mustang faithful there as well.

That being said, I remember great crowds at Tulane, LSU, and especially at Tulsa when we capped our WAC Championship..... If and when we are linked to the rest of the western WAC again and also have Tulane, Houston and So Miss as conference mates, we will travel very well again actually bringing something important to the table; meaning butts in the seats at away games. Also when we have regional foes, that we can again build our core base and attract the casual fan, if and this is a big if, we get a coach in place that has the ability to lead our team and put some damn 'w's' on the board. I look forward to playing and kicking the crap out of the fools from So. Miss, Memphis and especially exposing the myth that is Marshall........once we have the right leader that can win with our talent.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar
    Geedawg. If you don’t know what you’re talking about don’t post. Tech’s attendance potential in Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Memphis, etc. is one of the legitimate selling points we have with CUSA. We don’t need help undermining that point from our own ignorant fans!

There is a very simple explanation for our pathetic home attendance and excellent away (regional) attendance. A large number of Tech alumni live in Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, Memphis, etc. where they have found jobs after graduating. It’s kind of difficult to do that in Ruston for most professions. If you’re an engineer, something Tech has a lot of, Shreveport and Monroe aren’t much help either.

The majority of Tech alumni living within 50 miles of campus are probably Forestry graduates! :scholar:

Varsity Bulldog arkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nice
    The break-even point is a touch under $1 million for a title game before subtracting game overhead and team travel (has to net $850,000). If it is less than that each current school loses money.

The MAC title game reportedly grosses $650,000 so it likely nets something around $500,000 and that has been with strong ticket sales.

+ Reply to Thread