+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WEDNESDAY SCRIMMAGE

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough
    Calm Down Guys......

I'm sure coach Mick didn't mean to imply that soccer teams don't put out a lot of physical effort in practice. Obviously they do and I agree that the extreme running requirement would probably be a big help to our football players. I think ....... correct me if I'm wrong Mick........that he was refering to the HITTING aspect of practice and nothing else. I think all of you soccer fans would agree that HITTING is not a big art of soccer. IT IS a big part of football and my observations over the past few years indicate that our D guys don't seem too familiar with it in the games!!!!!

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Hitting is a necessity. Getting hit is inevitable. Surviving practice in order to perform well in games is another necessity. Somehow, the best coaches come up with the correct compromise.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    I've played both football and soccer, and had tough no nonsense coaches for each. No, soccer is not a "hitting" sport, that is until someone takes you out with a sliding tackle and you're airborne head over heels!

My point is this, though, from what I've seen of the Bicknell-led Tech football teams there is a lack of conditioning and toughness which is probably the reason for the late season swoons. Other teams are getting tougher through the season, while Bicknell's bunch is getting softer.

Even in junior high we hit every week in practice. In fact, when we made the parish playoffs, we hit even more and harder that week of practice. During the season we clobbered each other at least twice a week, in intense hitting drills, and the other days there was always some aspect of hitting. We practiced in full pads EVERY day, from the first day of practice in August until our last in November. FULL PADS EVERY DAY!!

In high school....it was even worse.

Varsity Bulldog CYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really niceCYFAIRDAWG is just really nice
    I thought this was a sports forum. Why is Soccer being discussed here?

As one of my kids who had a brief stint in pee wee soccer said, "Dad its boring all you do is run around and kick the ball, I would rather stick to basketball and baseball." Who can argue with that?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    Oh, no one can argue with that. After all, your kid is the world expert on sports.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    Not sure what that comment about "the women's soccer practice schedule" is supposed to mean, other than I assume it was meant as a dig toward soccer teams in general. If that's the case, then might I suggest that our wimpy football team adopt a soccer's team workout schedule. I mean a real soccer's team workout regimen. No, forget it, those fat, lazy football players wouldn't last two days at that pace. They would have to spend a couple of months getting into shape first, before attempting such a workout scheme. Most would quit LONG before they could get into shape though.

We used to begin every practice with a two-mile run, at a sub-14 minute pace too. Usually finished around 13:30. Not great by cross country runners' standards, but that two miler was meant as a warmup prior to beginning a 3-hour practice. Then, the real running began.

Please, don't even mention this Bicknell-coached wimpy ass football team in the same breath as a real soccer team. Most of Tech's football players would drop, I mean, have REAL medical problems if they even attempted to keep up.
    I don't think Coach's comments were a dig at soccer but I agree 100% with your comments about the sport and the conditioning that goes with being a top calibre soccer team. SOCCER, BY FAR, IS MORE GRUELING WHEN COACHED AND PRACTICED CORRECTLY THEN ANY DAWG FOOTBALL TEAM IN RECENT YEARS! Most of our guys would be dropping like flies! However, a correctly coached and practiced football team (ie... the Jimmy Johnson approach) would rival the other sport I would think. Then again, soccer players would probably be "dropping like flies" if they had to play and practice RUGBY on a daily basis!

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    No excuse for lack of conditioning.

Rugby is a rough sport, but those guys are not in any better shape than soccer players.

Champ BIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really nice
    MickeyS14:

You were also impressed with Rick Smith! This team will not win 2 games with these coaches and this STUPID Schedule Oakes has them playing and if the O can't run the football against this defense in the Spring then they will not win one game this season.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future
    BD28-you are exactly right--I was, and still am, very impressed with Rick Smith, now coaching in NFL Europe. It is evident to me that by his long & productive career, many others were impressed with Rick Smith as well. In addition, Rick Smith was and is my dear friend & I will support him in whatever he decides to continue to do.

I do find it very odd, however, that Auburn & LSU fans are attracted to a Louisiana Tech board to offer opinions on Louisiana Tech Football, a subject that they really could not know much about. And not only football, but to actually offer opinions on Louisiana Tech Athletic Administration is, to say the least, rather presumptuous on the part of the high & mighty SEC followers who ALWAYS consider themselves so much better than us lowly Tech fans to the point where most of them will NEVER lower themselves to make such comments about our Tech football program or our Tech athletic administration. And so, BD 28, by offering these contentious comments re our Tech football program & athletic administration, you reveal yourself as a closet Louisiana Tech fan and I heartily welcome you into the fold!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14
    BD28-you are exactly right--I was, and still am, very impressed with Rick Smith, now coaching in NFL Europe. It is evident to me that by his long & productive career, many others were impressed with Rick Smith as well. In addition, Rick Smith was and is my dear friend & I will support him in whatever he decides to continue to do.

I do find it very odd, however, that Auburn & LSU fans are attracted to a Louisiana Tech board to offer opinions on Louisiana Tech Football, a subject that they really could not know much about. And not only football, but to actually offer opinions on Louisiana Tech Athletic Administration is, to say the least, rather presumptuous on the part of the high & mighty SEC followers who ALWAYS consider themselves so much better than us lowly Tech fans to the point where most of them will NEVER lower themselves to make such comments about our Tech football program or our Tech athletic administration. And so, BD 28, by offering these contentious comments re our Tech football program & athletic administration, you reveal yourself as a closet Louisiana Tech fan and I heartily welcome you into the fold!

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    I've played both football and soccer, and had tough no nonsense coaches for each. No, soccer is not a "hitting" sport, that is until someone takes you out with a sliding tackle and you're airborne head over heels!

My point is this, though, from what I've seen of the Bicknell-led Tech football teams there is a lack of conditioning and toughness which is probably the reason for the late season swoons. Other teams are getting tougher through the season, while Bicknell's bunch is getting softer.

Even in junior high we hit every week in practice. In fact, when we made the parish playoffs, we hit even more and harder that week of practice. During the season we clobbered each other at least twice a week, in intense hitting drills, and the other days there was always some aspect of hitting. We practiced in full pads EVERY day, from the first day of practice in August until our last in November. FULL PADS EVERY DAY!!

I'm not taking up for Bick in any way, but injuries are the main concern especially when the season starts. When I played for a high school State Championship team-Ruston High, we did very little hitting during the week as the season rolled on. When we made it to the playoffs we didn't hit (full speed) at all. Spring practice is when we really got after it. I went to Tech's first scrimmage this year and there was definitely some hitting going on. Maybe you should come out and see for yourself one day.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14

Boy, BD28 Daddy just told you how the cow eats the cabbage didn't he?

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute
    Great post, Mick!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88
    [quote:1d3aca29f3="dawg80"]I've played both football and soccer, and had tough no nonsense coaches for each. No, soccer is not a "hitting" sport, that is until someone takes you out with a sliding tackle and you're airborne head over heels!

I'm not taking up for Bick in any way, but injuries are the main concern especially when the season starts. When I played for a high school State Championship team-Ruston High, we did very little hitting during the week as the season rolled on. When we made it to the playoffs we didn't hit (full speed) at all. Spring practice is when we really got after it. I went to Tech's first scrimmage this year and there was definitely some hitting going on. Maybe you should come out and see for yourself one day.[/quote:1d3aca29f3]

I am not talking about hitting going on NOW. I mean after the season has begun, it needs to continue.

Oh well, we'll just have to disagree on this issue.

2-10

+ Reply to Thread