+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oakes says you guys plan on staying in the WAC

If UTEP does join C-USA, Louisiana Tech, a WAC member which had openly campaigned for membership in C-USA, will be more than 1,000 miles from its nearest conference foe, New Mexico State, and the only WAC school in the Central Time Zone.

But Louisiana Tech athletic director Jim Oakes said his school plans to remain in the WAC.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index...8960154870.xml

I personally think the WAC will be on thin ice even if they add Idaho for 9 teams. If C-USA ever needs another team La Tech would be gone and of course the MWC may steal 1 to 3 at their whim. Since 8 teams are now required to be a conference it makes it tough. I personally think the SB and WAC should merge with 17 teams. I also bet soon with future realignments that merged conference may lose some members making it more manageable.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    We can barely afford WAC travel now. It'll be impossible after the Texas schools and Tulsa are all gone.

We are Belt bound. Or, why stop there? We might fall all the way down to the lowly Southland...now, that IS rock bottom!

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    UAB grad - that quote from Oakes is over a month old

1. since that time both Ulala and NTU have let it leak they they would not jump to the WAC

2. when he made that quote UTEP was not seen as an expansion legit candidate - leaving us with UTEP and a possible group of SBC teams to form a new EWAC

3. the wwac member have told Benson they want to rid theirself of the east - that includes Tech

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe
    UAB grad - that quote from Oakes is over a month old

1. since that time both Ulala and NTU have let it leak they they would not jump to the WAC

2. when he made that quote UTEP was not seen as an expansion legit candidate - leaving us with UTEP and a possible group of SBC teams to form a new EWAC

3. the wwac member have told Benson they want to rid theirself of the east - that includes Tech
    I didn't realize the quote was that old. I just think the best thing for you guys and the WAC is a merger. La Tech has future options, but if the WAC gets raided again they won't. I can easily see 5 or 6 WAC teams being left out as independants one day if they are not proactive.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    Oakes will probably say anything. He doesn't care since he will probably be working for the governor in a few months anyway. I wonder if he will get one of those fat pay raises as well?

+ Reply to Thread