+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think it is Tech to CUSA

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    why.....

1. The CUSA presidents know that UTEP will jump to the MWC when asked (it will be FSU, BSU and UTEP)

2. Academic Profile - UTEP 30% graduation rate, Tech 50+% graduation rate, Tech has selective admissions.

3. UTEP is drowing in the red - what good is a bigger budget if you are always in the red??? Tech is one of the few schools that is not in the red all the time.

4. WAC exit fee - we do not have to pay one - UTEP will be hammered plus have to come up with the 2 mill - we have the 2 mill in the bank

5. Title Game Revenue - Tech will not need any title game revenue for a few years - let the other 11 divi it up

6. Presidents look at who all gains and loses from such a move - presidents are not in to do away with other conference or programs. UTEP to CUSA would stir the pot to much with the WAC and sunbelt - president do not like to stir the pot

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    From your mouth to the CUSA prezzes' ears!

Gawd, I hope you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe
    why.....

1. The CUSA presidents know that UTEP will jump to the MWC when asked (it will be FSU, BSU and UTEP)

2. Academic Profile - UTEP 30% graduation rate, Tech 50+% graduation rate, Tech has selective admissions.

3. UTEP is drowing in the red - what good is a bigger budget if you are always in the red??? Tech is one of the few schools that is not in the red all the time.

4. WAC exit fee - we do not have to pay one - UTEP will be hammered plus have to come up with the 2 mill - we have the 2
    mill in the bank

5. Title Game Revenue - Tech will not need any title game revenue for a few years - let the other 11 divi it up

6. Presidents look at who all gains and loses from such a move - presidents are not in to do away with other conference or programs. UTEP to CUSA would stir the pot to much with the WAC and sunbelt - president do not like to stir the pot
    The CUSA prezs know UCF will jump to the BIG EAST at first call and still added them.

The CUSA prezs know that Marshall will do the same thing.

That's the problem with CUSA they're making decisions on the here and now and not the future. This is why they will always be replacing schools.

Although, I really believe that if UTEP goes to CUSA they won't be leaving any time soon.

Champ NashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the roughNashVegasRabidK9 is a jewel in the rough
    I thought UTEP was very excited to have New Mexico State, their main rival, finally in the same conference with them? I just don't get it. I see CUSA on par with the WAC, as far as competition goes. Fresno, Boise, Hawaii, Nevada are all top notch schools. CUSA just works better for us b/c of geography.

While it's a no-brainer for Tech, I really don't see how CUSA has more to offer UTEP than the WAC. This just plain sucks. :thumbsdo:

Quote Originally Posted by NashVegasRabidK9
    I thought UTEP was very excited to have New Mexico State, their main rival, finally in the same conference with them? I just don't get it. I see CUSA on par with the WAC, as far as competition goes. Fresno, Boise, Hawaii, Nevada are all top notch schools. CUSA just works better for us b/c of geography.

While it's a no-brainer for Tech, I really don't see how CUSA has more to offer UTEP than the WAC. This just plain sucks. :thumbsdo:
    From the WAC boards and from word of mouth... my understanding is UTEP isn't overly excited about NMSU being in the WAC. They feel about them like we feel about the JUCO. (30 miles down the road & each with an inflated opinion of themselves). IMO, it could be one of the things that heated up talks to get out of the WAC. :thumbsdo:

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe
    why.....

I do want to CORRECT one myth: UTEP's athletic budget is only slightly bigger than LA Tech's ($10 mil vs $9 mil annually).

One of the big misnomer's circulating on all the messge boards is that "UTEP has a much larger budget than Tech", when in reality, they don't. In fact, I would venture to say that --provided Tech can get into CUSA-- Tech's athletic budget will easily surpass UTEP's over the next 3 to 5 years. After sharing the original WAC with such great athletic programs as BYU and Air Force, UTEP is now a school "on the way down", while LA Tech is on the way up (program wise).

HD

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    Our budget is expected to be close to the 10M range this year - thanks to the Auburn and Tenn payouts

First off yes I'm a Utep fan but I'm in the minority of fans right now because I'm leaning towards staying in the WAC. I wish nothing but the best for la tech in the future and really hope things turn out fine. However, there's been alot of misinformation about Utep bandied about this forum and I just thought I'd clear some of it up.

This is not neccessarily true. Whie I would prefer being in the MWC, Utep has always looked to affiliate itself with Texas schools. We were the driving force in the pre-wac 16 days that got TCU/rice/smu into the wac and there's a great many people, coaches, fans and administration, that would like to see this connection continue. We may be a west coast leaning school, but we're a texas school first despite the little attention we get in the state. Also, you have to remember that we got royally screwed by the MWC schools in the breakup and most fans and school officials are not quick to forget what our 30 year history meant to them when push came to shove.

No comment. I'm really not familiar with these numbers except to say that if it's the overall rate, by and large utep is a commuter like school. I wouldn't be surprised if the average age of students was well over 30 and so it's not full of people looking to get their degree in 5 years (the usual time frame given for rates). If it's athletics, we've been hurt by many transfers in the major sports the last couple of years and even if they get their degrees at other institutions, transfers count as a negative in the rate.

I have no idea where this figure comes from. Utep hasn't been in the red in years. Usually, attendance alone pays for the entire athletic budget. The year we averaged 40k in football, we made enough at the football gate to cover that year's expenses PLUS the next year's (2001). I'm pretty sure we're not in the red.

4. WAC exit fee - we do not have to pay one - UTEP will be hammered plus have to come up with the 2 mill - we have the 2 mill in the bank

This won't be a problem. If Utep makes the move, you can rest assured that our boosters will pay for the change. Utep's new athletic facility that opened last year (10 mil price tag) was paid for by one single booster and when Billy G was shopping his ho ass, the boosters were said to pony up some cash in an attempt to retain him.

I'm not sure about this point. If La Tech is willing to give it up, all power to you.

This is true. In the original Wac-16 expansion, the ADs voted to only expand to 12. Instead the presidents voted to bring in all the candidates and we all know what happened. The ADs reco is far from a lock. However in your last point about not stirring the pot, CUSA has already been the victim of the BE, they're not really going to give a damn about either the WAC or SB as they try to recoup some of their losses.

The final point

I do want to CORRECT one myth: UTEP's athletic budget is only slightly bigger than LA Tech's ($10 mil vs $9 mil annually).

One of the big misnomer's circulating on all the messge boards is that "UTEP has a much larger budget than Tech", when in reality, they don't. In fact, I would venture to say that --provided Tech can get into CUSA-- Tech's athletic budget will easily surpass UTEP's over the next 3 to 5 years. After sharing the original WAC with such great athletic programs as BYU and Air Force, UTEP is now a school "on the way down", while LA Tech is on the way up (program wise).

Yep, Utep's budget is only slightly ahead of La Tech's but chew on this. Texas state law prohibits using ANY state appropriated funds in funding athletic programs - meaning all athletic departments must be self sufficient, we don't get handouts or bailouts. I think we do pretty well considering we never get million dollar payouts on odd years to keep our programs afloat.

As for being on the way down as a program, as I mentioned before, all we have to do is be better than average in football and people will come to watch the Miners play. Just 2-3 years of success will give us the money needed to raise our budget substantially.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    These are trying times for Tech and its fans. Most of us realize that the way things have shaken out in reallignment we've been left in a very precarious position. UTEP, it appears to me and others, will be just fine going to CUSA or remaining in the WAC. It's a win-win situation for UTEP. Of course, someone closer to UTEP might give a more accurate portrayal differenating between CUSA and the WAC.

I am not sure why some fans, including some Tech fans, feel it is necessary to take shots at other schools and conferences. I find it stupidly ridiculous for a Tech fan to go to a CUSA forum, badmouth every school and the conference and then in the same breath say, oh by the way, please invite us. :roll:

I harbor no ill-will toward Rice, SMU and Tulsa for leaping to CUSA and leaving us behind. Their departure is the main reason Tech is stranded on this island right now, with the water rising! Yet, I understand their desire to better themselves and joining CUSA will do a lot for those programs. Likewise, if UTEP accepts the CUSA invite, and I think they will, that'll be the final blow to Tech and we will be Belt-bound. Still, I wish nothing but the best for UTEP.

Most of Tech's problems are self-inflicted. In the end we have only to look in the mirror for the root cause of our predicament.

"3. UTEP is drowing in the red - what good is a bigger budget if you are always in the red??? Tech is one of the few schools that is not in the red all the time".

This report shows UTEP with nearly a $900,000 profit from athletics.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Who cares? Go to bed early tonight and try to talk about all this stuff to your wife. If she is interested in conference expansion, find a new wife.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by JayM
    "3. UTEP is drowing in the red - what good is a bigger budget if you are always in the red??? Tech is one of the few schools that is not in the red all the time".

This report shows UTEP with nearly a $900,000 profit from athletics.

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3
    That Department of Education website reports Title IX figures that do not usually match official university athletic department numbers. Revenues and expenses are both inflated by $1 million to $3 million in most cases.

UTEP's 2002-2003 unaudited financial statements on Schedule B-3 of this document http://utminers.utep.edu/utepreports...Statements.pdf report the following:

Total Operating Revenues--$6,426,533
    Net Student Fees--$1,398,648
    Sales and Services (all other reported revenues)--$5,027,885

Total Operating Expenses--$10,560,648

Net Operating Loss--$4,134,115

That $4 million-plus operating loss had to be covered by two areas, but the exact dollar breakdown is not possible since all UTEP Auxiliary Enterprise Funds are lumped together. Those areas were $1,473,750 in non-operating revenues (Gift Contributions and Net Investment Income), and $3,410,942 of transfers in from other state funds (specifically Designated Funds and Restricted Expendable Funds) as reported on Schedule B-13.

The total operating loss from all other Auxiliary Enterprise Funds other than Athletics that reported losses was only $736,394, so it doesn't take a genius to figure out that most (at least $2,660,365 even if all nonoperating income was directed to Athletics) of the $3,410,942 in transfers from those other funds had to cover the athletic department operating loss.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    FriscoDawg, I have to admit, you are pretty impressive when it comes to these financial details. You must be a CPA? I've watched you "research and destroy" more financial "myths" about CUSA schools (and potential CUSA schools, such as UTEP) over the past few weeks than I ever thought possible. And better yet, you ALWAYS provide the proof source to back your claims.

Good work.

HD

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    FriscoDawg, I have to admit, you are pretty impressive when it comes to these financial details. You must be a CPA? I've watched you "research and destroy" more financial "myths" about CUSA schools (and potential CUSA schools, such as UTEP) over the past few weeks than I ever thought possible. And better yet, you ALWAYS provide the proof source to back your claims.

Good work.

HD
    Is UTEP in compliance with the regulations set forth in the Sarbanes-Oxley-Friscodawg act?

I gave this to a cpa on the miner board to see his take on it. Interesting that the salaries and wages figure is over 3 million. I have no idea what that takes into account (the football, basketball and ad make less than 500k combined, i can't believe the rest of the staff makes 2.5) as it's not scholarships, they're another line item.

edit: Actually if you add the figures provided on the DoE wesite the salary sum comes out to over 3 million, so both those figures are the same. Also, the scholarship figures are within 100k of each other on both sites as well and the operating expenses on both sites are within 100k of each other.

Where did you get the info that the figuers on the DoE were off, they seem to match rather well on instances where you can match equal components to each other.

+ Reply to Thread