+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So Long Honolulum, hello Hattiesburg

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    "With an incoming new HC and staff and after finishing 0-10 last year the Minden Crimson Tide will compete for the Class 4 A state championship this fall and could find itself playing in the Dome come late December..."

Sorry to bust some people's bubble - but that's an opinion piece also, containing just as many facts and real probabilities and it carries about as much weight as Mr Fullerton's article....

Please throw out "homer" articles in these instances - they are about as good as articles surfacing in Walawala WA on how to cook a good gumbo...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    "With an incoming new HC and staff and after finishing 0-10 last year the Minden Crimson Tide will compete for the Class 4 A state championship this fall and could find itself playing in the Dome come late December..."

Sorry to bust some people's bubble - but that's an opinion piece also, containing just as many facts and real probabilities and it carries about as much weight as Mr Fullerton's article....

Please throw out "homer" articles in these instances - they are about as good as articles surfacing in Walawala WA on how to cook a good gumbo...
    :roll:

Posted on another thread.

Embellish the positives and stay away from the negatives...
    I agree DWAYNE! :wink:

By the way, positive"homer" opinion piece's on TECH are hard to find these days. Many of us may wish to enjoy this one and even embellish it if it would help TECH. It's about time we start getting some positive local press. Since when do you not like seeing these type of articles? :wink:

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    If it were the Times or the NewsStar I would agree with your assessment - even though it would be sluffed off by the others outside of the area and the "fans" from the other schools - much like the Tulane AD article is being done this morning -

However, the Morning Paper (and this is no slight to the local rags) is not something that will be taken "seriously" by the vast majority of the folks - what is its circulation 1,300?

It is an OPINION piece based on as many facts as my opinion concerning the Crimson Tide's play-off chances next fall -

It is not a "news" article like the Tulane AD piece - there is a difference or have we become so desperate that we can't recognize the difference between a news piece and an opinion piece?...

It would be much better if someone from the Times or the News Star would write an editorial similar to that article, atleast that would give us coverage in 90% of the area - but outside of Scott Ferrell's piece Sunday there hasn't even been a piece from our recognized "locals" stating we should be CUSA's choice because of X, X and X and it would benefit the region in X, X & X ways...

If it would have appeared in our own Minden Press Herald I would have given it just as much attention and assigned just as much importantance to it - which is very little, outside of the "feel good fluff value"....

Am I glad he wrote it? yes - it serves the purpose of hope to the locals that Tech is still in the mix - and it points out nothing different that hasn't been said on this board numerous times already...

Would this be something I rushed out and placed on a CUSA board and point to as evidence that Tech will be the choice? no - its an opinion, not NEWS...

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    Beder and Ferrell and the other so-called TECH sportswriter do a piss-poor job of getting to the story. The stuff they print is old news. Seeking out new information is not their forte.

Someone in North La. needs to get Ken Booth involved.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar
    So, Dwayne, if Buddy Davis wrote something about this you wouldn't put much weight into it cuz it was written in the Ruston Daily Leader.
    Buddy always tries to take a positive stance on the Lincoln Parish schools and does a damn good job of it. He also can get exclusive comments from the administration others cannot.
    So, what you're saying is you trust a Gannettzoid person (i.e. outsider) for your opinions only.
    Hey, I've worked for Gannett full-time, I was editor of the Ruston Leader and I still shoot pictures for the News-Star on Friday nights. But that doesn't mean you put your trust in the paper, as much the writer. You guys love the Shreveport crowd, but the Monroe paper gives Tech the most consistent coverage of the two Gannett dailies. BTW, do you know Bill Fullerton?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix
    So, Dwayne, if Buddy Davis wrote something about this you wouldn't put much weight into it cuz it was written in the Ruston Daily Leader.
    Buddy always tries to take a positive stance on the Lincoln Parish schools and does a damn good job of it. He also can get exclusive comments from the administration others cannot.
    So, what you're saying is you trust a Gannettzoid person (i.e. outsider) for your opinions only.
    Hey, I've worked for Gannett full-time, I was editor of the Ruston Leader and I still shoot pictures for the News-Star on Friday nights. But that doesn't mean you put your trust in the paper, as much the writer. You guys love the Shreveport crowd, but the Monroe paper gives Tech the most consistent coverage of the two Gannett dailies. BTW, do you know Bill Fullerton?
    Nope - just saying it is an OPINION piece in the local paper...

I'm saying it would carry more WEIGHT if it appeared in one of the Gannett paper -

Even with "news" perception is everything and since it appeared in a local daily in the town of the school that is begging to get into the conference it would be considered "Homeresque" to the Nth degree...

Is it a good article - yes

Is it something I would hang my hat on NO -

And even if Buddy had wrote it - I would feel the same way - if it had no quotes or relevant facts and he stated OPINIONS only....

Like I said, the article lays out some things that have been said on this board verbatim - and they were all expressed as OPINIONS....

T-Mo what carries more weight in the eyes of the public - this article appearing in the Morning Paper or a similar article appearing in the Times or the NewsStar?

I'm not judging the article or the person who wrote it, but I am making a statement on how much "importance" should be assigned to the article because of its nature and where it appeared...

I was hoping ya'll could see the difference...

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix
    A good opinion piece by Mr. Fullerton. The Morning Paper has had its ups and downs, but as for another voice in the Lincoln Parish community, they've fit the need. At least he hasn't promised anything yet (like a Jumbotron), just an opinion.
    Your nitpicky comments remind me of the country weekly newspaper's readers who said the only reason they read the paper was to see if the editor got the town gossip right.
    tm
    Okay, Dwayne, this one is too easy.

As you can see from my post above (No. 6 in this thread), I wrote "a good opinion piece by Mr. Fullerton."

What DIFFERENCE do you want ME to see?

THAT is why I took off on who actually writes these opinions/sports news stories.

Hell, from your thinking, only what's reported in The New York Times, Sports Illustrated, on SportsCenter, CBS Sports and the like, is correct

We are fed with opinions everyday. Our job is to weigh the the truth and logic in them, not the source.

So, as an example, on this board, am I supposed to put more weight in your opinions or Lee the Insider? And why?
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Amen, Dawgpix.

For what it's worth, Mr. Fullerton does not work for ANY newspaper.
    He is a full-time, hard-working professional who resides in Dallas, TX.

He does write an occasional "opinion piece", or whatever you would like to call it, for the Morning Paper. This paper is generally more factual with its news pieces than the local daily.

Some of his pieces have "scooped" the Monroe and Shreveport papers as well as the local daily.

Personally, I enjoy his writings very much.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    The Morning Paper has a high success rate with its Rumor Mill.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.John67
    Amen, Dawgpix.

For what it's worth, Mr. Fullerton does not work for ANY newspaper.
    He is a full-time, hard-working professional who resides in Dallas, TX.

He does write an occasional "opinion piece", or whatever you would like to call it, for the Morning Paper. This paper is generally more factual with its news pieces than the local daily.

Some of his pieces have "scooped" the Monroe and Shreveport papers as well as the local daily.

Personally, I enjoy his writings very much.

There you have it again! As tauted by those of us that do not live in Louisiana anymore. THE MEDIA and IT'S MEMBERS, OUTSIDE OF N.LOUISIANA, RESPECT AND ARE WILLING TO WRITE MORE ARTICLES (positive ones at that) ON and ABOUT TECH THAN THOSE THAT LIVE IN LOUISIANA. This guy lives in Dallas,TX. WAY TO GO!

I guess this means that the Hawaii dude will quit posting the Rainbow Girls. That is a bummer!

You chose who you believe based on your "comfort" level of reliability - if you feel Lee's information is more accurate the vast majority of the time you tend to trust Lee more, if you think mine is more accurate most of the time you tend to favor my musings more....

I think John Agan is the absolute best North LA history buff this side of the Mississippi, but just because I think it and know it, doesn't mean that someone in Spearsville who doesn't read the Minden Press Herald will come to the same agreement - especially if he writes a piece that is solely "opinion" in nature...

All I'm saying is that due to where the opinion was written, the form it was written in and who it was written by means that it will be classified as a HOMER piece outside of the friendly confines of the 71270 no matter if it is right or wrong -

He is forming an opinion on the information available and speculating the desired outcome - not more and nothing less - that is not news that is op-ed, no different than endorsing or opposing an upcoming tax election for certain reasons...

Op-ed does not EQUAL news and they are usually BIASED....

But I give in, so before I'm labeled more of a cynic than I already have been -

We are in CUSA and I base this solely because it says so in the Morning Paper - and ya'll say this guy is usually dead solid perfect with his assumptions - I will even go as far as pulling my "I heard it from Lee first congratulatory speech" and give it to him...

BTW - I wonder how often this guy is literally grilled to the bone by the local Tail-twister and Lion-tamer because of his "accuracy"...

But I'm glad to see that ya'll agree that it is an OPINION piece -

This article was probably scanned in with OCR software and a scanner. Many times, characters that are scanned do not always get converted correctly... see "C-USDA" in the article, etc.
    All I have to say is if the MEAT heads in C-USDA invite UTEP, they should be checked for MAD COW Disease!

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar
    I'm saying it would carry more WEIGHT if it appeared in one of the Gannett paper -
    You mean like Ferrell jumping the gun based on the false UTEP stories being circulated? Or McCallum's opinion that Tech would not be a good fit for C-USA? Or Watson's opinion that Tech got what it deserved in football?

The Gannett papers just present their opinions disguised as fact to more people. That's the only difference.

DITTO Killerdawg!

+ Reply to Thread