+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if UTEP to CUSA?

if CUSA announces UTEP is the 12th member-where does that leave Tech? if the WAC stays as is how attractive for the bulldogs?a curious stAte indian fan.

Big Dog Buddy1972 is an unknown
    That's been the hottest topic on this board for the past six months. Opinions vary violently; however, I think it is important to remember that changes to the conference landscape are unlikely to end any time soon.

If UTEP is selected over us, I expect our much-maligned administration will position us for the next round of discussions. If UTEP is selected, it will be interesting to see the WAC's response. Lots of "ifs," but we need to see those "ifs" before we can figure out the "then."

IF UTEP is selected, the WAC will respond by inviting UNT and maybe another Sunbelt school. Most likely ULALA.

Quote Originally Posted by SummaCumDoggie
    IF UTEP is selected, the WAC will respond by inviting UNT and maybe another Sunbelt school. Most likely ULALA.
    UNT is not going down that road without SEVERAL friends. Just won't happen.

SummaCumDoggie wrote:

I'm not saying they should go, I'm just sayin thats what the WAC is likey to do. If I were UNT and ULALA, I would look at Tech and say "thanks but no thanks" the WAC was a great steppiong stone for us, but now that stepping stone is looking more and more lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by SummaCumDoggie
    SummaCumDoggie wrote:

I'm not saying they should go, I'm just sayin thats what the WAC is likey to do. If I were UNT and ULALA, I would look at Tech and say "thanks but no thanks" the WAC was a great steppiong stone for us, but now that stepping stone is looking more and more lonely.
    Fair enough.

To us, the WAC without UTEP looks a whole hell of a lot like the BIG WEST II.

Been there, done that.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    The WAC with UTEP looks like as much like the Big West as without it.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation
    [quote:92686788f8="SummaCumDoggie"]
    SummaCumDoggie wrote:

Fair enough.

Been there, done that.[/quote:92686788f8]

So answer me this Cajun...if you've "been there done that" and don't care to return, why do some of your fellow Belters deride Tech fans for feeling the same way about a return to the Sun Belt? Seems like a double standard to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3
    [quote:ebd111fe1d="CajunNation"][quote:ebd111fe1d="SummaCumDoggie"]
    SummaCumDoggie wrote:

Fair enough.

Been there, done that.[/quote:ebd111fe1d]

So answer me this Cajun...if you've "been there done that" and don't care to return, why do some of your fellow Belters deride Tech fans for feeling the same way about a return to the Sun Belt? Seems like a double standard to me.[/quote:ebd111fe1d]

Tech has never been a part of SUNBELT football.

I guess this is the best way to explain people's feelings about Tech:

If y'all stay in the WAC, people will think it is being done strictly out of spite for your former friends.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute
    TECH has no friends in the Sunbelt.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute
    [quote:46ac10fa5a="ChuckK3"][quote:46ac10fa5a="CajunNation"][quote:46ac10fa5a="SummaCumDoggie"]
    SummaCumDoggie wrote:

Fair enough.

Been there, done that.[/quote:46ac10fa5a]

So answer me this Cajun...if you've "been there done that" and don't care to return, why do some of your fellow Belters deride Tech fans for feeling the same way about a return to the Sun Belt? Seems like a double standard to me.[/quote:46ac10fa5a]

If y'all stay in the WAC, people will think it is being done strictly out of spite for your former friends.[/quote:46ac10fa5a]

Okay...so what I hear you saying is, while the WAC is perceived by almost everyone to be superior to the Sunbelt, we ain't interested in moving up in perception, we like being perceived as mediocre. And if Tech doesn't want to be mediocre with us, then we're offended.

To be honest with you, it may not matter who's perceived as what...I will NEVER say NEVER. All I WILL say is that if Tech should decide on being mediocre, they can do it without me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    TECH has no friends in the Sunbelt.
    You got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3
    [quote:ed2ffee4ea="CajunNation"][quote:ed2ffee4ea="ChuckK3"][quote:ed2ffee4ea="CajunNation"][quote:ed2ffee4ea="SummaCumDoggie"]
    SummaCumDoggie wrote:

Fair enough.

Been there, done that.[/quote:ed2ffee4ea]

So answer me this Cajun...if you've "been there done that" and don't care to return, why do some of your fellow Belters deride Tech fans for feeling the same way about a return to the Sun Belt? Seems like a double standard to me.[/quote:ed2ffee4ea]

If y'all stay in the WAC, people will think it is being done strictly out of spite for your former friends.[/quote:ed2ffee4ea]

Okay...so what I hear you saying is, while the WAC is perceived by almost everyone to be superior to the Sunbelt, we ain't interested in moving up in perception, we like being perceived as mediocre. And if Tech doesn't want to be mediocre with us, then we're offended.

To be honest with you, it may not matter who's perceived as what...I will NEVER say NEVER. All I WILL say is that if Tech should decide on being mediocre, they can do it without me.[/quote:ed2ffee4ea]

What UNT, ASU, Troy, and ULA are concerned with are bettering ourselves. We are doing this by raising and spending money on our athletic departments and limiting unnecessary expenditures.

We could change our conference affliliation, but that wouldn't change the devlopment of our programs for the better.

Without the Texas schools, it just doesn't make sense.

If y'all stay in the WAC, people will think it is being done strictly out of spite for your former friends.
    And no former Big West football-only member currently in the Sun Belt has ever played any sport but football with any former Big West schools now in the WAC. Hawaii has never been in the Big West, Fresno State left the Big West for the WAC in 1992, and Boise State didn't become I-A until after the Tech-ULL-Arkansas State era of Big West football.

The WAC is much better than the old Big West, and that is especially true in sports other than football. And the WAC will continue to be stronger than the Sun Belt across the board even if UTEP does move to C-USA. If that reasoning for Tech wanting to stay in the WAC is seen as spiteful to "former friends", too bad.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    ASU and Cajun fans, if UTEP goes into CUSA (which now appears very likely), here's what Tech is facing. Travel and financial concerns are a big issue for us in the newly configured WAC. But the level of competition will still be much higher there than in the Sunbelt. Boise State has finished the past two seasons in the Top 15 natiionally. Fresno State is considered on the top non-BCS programs year-in and year-out. Hawaii is, well, Hawaii.

I would favor staying in the WAC if we could bring in UL-Lafayette, UNT and ASU.

If we cannot do that I think our only logical choice is to play in the SunBelt.

+ Reply to Thread