+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What if UTEP to CUSA?

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar
    I would favor staying in the WAC as is if we had some kind of information that would guarantee that this musical chairs nonsense was going to continue with the Big East picking off a CUSA school. Problem is, I think UCF is the ONLY one that is even close to being considered by the Big East and they were tabled for now.

I think the SBC is a logical backup plan, and SBC fans are fools if they think the conference wouldn't take us back. Hatred = rivalry = $$$$.

Puppy KungPaoCajun is an unknown KungPaoCajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weunice
    I would favor staying in the WAC as is if we had some kind of information that would guarantee that this musical chairs nonsense was going to continue with the Big East picking off a CUSA school. Problem is, I think UCF is the ONLY one that is even close to being considered by the Big East and they were tabled for now.
    The musical chairs will almost certainly continue... thanks to the Big East. The new futurecast has the BE Football schools breaking away from the BE Bball schools in 2010(ish).

You'll likely see the top Eastern CUSA and MAC schools taken by BE Football to go to 10, 11 or 12. C-USA will then take the cream of the SBC, MAC and/or LA Tech (if you are still in the WAC) to go back to 12.

Realigment is "over" at that point for all intents and purposes.

The million dollar question for you guys is, can you hold out in the WAC that long? That's a lot of money for road trips that ULa/UNT/MTSU will be putting into facilities, marketing and coaches.

I think the SBC is a logical backup plan, and SBC fans are fools if they think the conference wouldn't take us back. Hatred = rivalry = $$$$.
    From what Cajuns fan's sources have said, multiple SBC school presidents have called your president urging him to make a call to Waters. He's said "thanks, but no thanks" up to this point. We'll see what happens now, though.

The musical chairs will almost certainly continue... thanks to the Big East. The new futurecast has the BE Football schools breaking away from the BE Bball schools in 2010(ish).

You'll likely see the top Eastern CUSA and MAC schools taken by BE Football to go to 10, 11 or 12. C-USA will then take the cream of the SBC, MAC and/or LA Tech (if you are still in the WAC) to go back to 12.

Realigment is "over" at that point for all intents and purposes.

The million dollar question for you guys is, can you hold out in the WAC that long? That's a lot of money for road trips that ULa/UNT/MTSU will be putting into facilities, marketing and coaches.

From what Cajuns fan's sources have said, multiple SBC school presidents have called your president urging him to make a call to Waters. He's said "thanks, but no thanks" up to this point. We'll see what happens now, though.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    KungPao, that last bit of information fits what I felt like was going on.

Do you believe UL-Lafayette would turn down an offer to the WAC, if that offer were also being made to UNT and ASU?

Is the Cajun fan board down? I haven't been able to get on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77
    Do you believe UL-Lafayette would turn down an offer to the WAC, if that offer were also being made to UNT and ASU?
    Yes, they would turn it down.

I've seen "no" in print from Dr. Authement and all the coaches have publicly said they prefer the Sun Belt. I've heard that answer from the local "insiders" as well. It would have to be a full Eastern Division for UNT and ULa to even consider the move (the presidents of the two schools made a pact to stay together, save a C-USA invite).

IMO, both the WAC and SBC have guns to their heads that will eventually go off. The WAC will eventually lose teams to the MWC and the SBC will eventually lose teams to the MAC and/or C-USA. We're all just trying to stay afloat until C-USA throws us a liferaft.

The big question we all need to answer is what conference will put us in a position to make the cut next time?

Yes, Delphi is down. That's one of the reasons I hope a viable alternative comes up soon. RaginPagin.com is a distant second for Cajuns fans- great for recruiting info and new stories, not good when you're looking for comments from fans.

KungPao, that last bit of information fits what I felt like was going on.

The whole Delphi system is down.

Without an eastern Bowl, and/or adding Troy/MTSU to that mix, it probably will not happen.

Varsity Bulldog arkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nice
    Kung Pao, it's not a two-way committment, it is a three team deal. Arkansas State is involved and on board.

The line right now is that those three have agreed that none will accept unless all SBC football members are invited. Personally I think if the WAC offered those three and one more, they might just say "close enough" and come over.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    That's what I meant, Mark -- all three receiving an offer. I have no idea if that idea would fly with the rest of the WAC. I seriously doubt they'd want to consider schools much east of Jonesboro, but I think if UTEP bolts they are going to have to listen to what Tech would like to do. I don't think they'll have any other choice.

+ Reply to Thread