+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Official--UTEP to C-USA

http://www.utepathletics.com/news/archive/043004a1.htm

Aprl 30, 2004

UTEP To Join Conference USA

UTEP has accepted an invitation to join Conference USA beginning on July 1, 2005.

UTEP will join current Western Athletic Conference members Rice, SMU and Tulsa as members of Conference USA. The Miners will be grouped in the league's Western Division with Houston, Rice, SMU, Tulane and Tulsa.

The Eastern Division of Conference USA will be composed of Central Florida, East Carolina, Marshall, Memphis, Southern Miss and UAB beginning with the 2005-06 athletic year.

"UTEP is very pleased to have the opportunity to join its fellow WAC institutions, SMU, Rice and Tulsa, as new members of Conference USA in 2005," said UTEP President Dr. Diana Natalicio. "We look forward to continuing to compete in the Dallas and Houston areas, where there are large concentrations of UTEP alumni who have enjoyed following our teams, and we look forward to the new relationships that our Conference USA affiliation will afford us."

"This is a great move for us," said UTEP Director of Athletics Bob Stull. "As a part of the University of Texas System, we felt it was important to align with Texas schools. We have a huge alumni base in Texas, and we do the majority of our recruiting in the state. Joining Conference USA gives us a stable environment for the future, and provides us with greater exposure in three highly populated time zones."

"We're leaving one really good, competitive football conference and going to another one," said UTEP football coach Mike Price. "No matter what conference we're in, my main job will be to win as many games as we can. It certainly makes sense for a Texas school to be involved with the Western Division of Conference USA, and I'm excited about our future."

"We're excited to be in a league with other Texas schools," said UTEP men's basketball coach Doc Sadler. "It will be a quality league for men's basketball, with a history of getting multiple teams into the NCAA Tournament."

"This is a great move for the UTEP athletic department," said UTEP women's basketball coach Keitha Green. "From a women's basketball standpoint, we are excited to be joining Conference USA because it is an outstanding conference. Year in and year out, they have several teams in the NCAA Tournament. It's going to be an exciting challenge for our program and athletic department."

"Conference USA is a very solid league," said UTEP track and field coach Bob Kitchens. "There are a lot of good schools there. I have enjoyed being in the WAC, and we are going to enjoy being in Conference USA. It is a great fit for our program, the athletic department and the university."

Conference USA sponsors 19 sports -- baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, tennis and track & field (indoor and outdoor) for men and basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, track & field (indoor and outdoor) and volleyball for women. Fifteen of UTEP's 16 intercollegiate athletic teams will compete under the Conference USA banner, the exception being rifle which will continue to participate as an independent.

Conference USA has tie-ins with five bowl games -- AutoZone Liberty Bowl (Memphis, Tenn.), GMAC Bowl (Mobile, Ala.), Sheraton Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii), Wyndham New Orleans Bowl (New Orleans, La.) and PlainsCapital Fort Worth Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas).

Conference USA was introduced on April 24, 1995 in Chicago. Britton Banowsky was named the league's second commissioner in October 2002.

Since its inception Conference USA has fielded 34 NCAA Tournament teams in men's basketball, including one Final Four team and three Elite Eight teams; 22 bowl teams in football; and 34 NCAA Tournament teams in women's basketball.

Among C-USA's 5,000 student-athletes, there are champions off the playing field as well. In eight years, 68 student-athletes earned national Verizon Academic All-America honors, while 162 were named All-District. In addition, more than 7,500 student-athletes have been named to the Commissioner's Honor Roll or received the Commissioner's Academic Medal, indicative of outstanding achievement in the classroom. The conference annually awards six postgraduate scholarships, along with the Sport Academic Award, Scholar Athletes of the Year and the Institutional Academic Excellence Award.

ESPN, Inc. and C-USA entered into an exclusive eight-year agreement, beginning with the 2001 season. The multi-faceted agreement, which incorporates ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Regional Television, ABC Sports, ESPN.com and ESPN Classic, is highlighted by: ESPN/ESPN2's coverage of C-USA football featuring weeknight games; televising possible future C-USA Football Championship Games on ABC; men's basketball coverage; syndication and network rights for the conference's football and basketball coverage through ERT; continued exposure for women's basketball, along with volleyball, baseball, soccer and softball, as well as marketing rights. The league also provides exposure for women's basketball, men's and women's soccer, volleyball, baseball and softball through the Conference USA Television Network.

UTEP has been affiliated with the Western Athletic Conference since September 1967. The Miners have won 20 national championships as WAC members, and 21 overall. UTEP has claimed 53 Western Athletic Conference team titles.

UTEP captured the 1966 national crown in men's basketball, when the school was known as Texas Western College. To this day, UTEP is the only school in the state of Texas to have won a national championship in men's basketball.

Conference USA will be the third league for UTEP, which was a member of the now-disbanded Border Conference from 1935-62.

Champ StrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to allStrongBad is a name known to all StrongBad's Avatar
    Crap!

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    that SUCKS

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck
    http://www.utepathletics.com/news/archive/043004a1.htm

Aprl 30, 2004

UTEP To Join Conference USA

UTEP has accepted an invitation to join Conference USA beginning on July 1, 2005.

UTEP will join current Western Athletic Conference members Rice, SMU and Tulsa as members of Conference USA. The Miners will be grouped in the league's Western Division with Houston, Rice, SMU, Tulane and Tulsa.

The Eastern Division of Conference USA will be composed of Central Florida, East Carolina, Marshall, Memphis, Southern Miss and UAB beginning with the 2005-06 athletic year.

"UTEP is very pleased to have the opportunity to join its fellow WAC institutions, SMU, Rice and Tulsa, as new members of Conference USA in 2005," said UTEP President Dr. Diana Natalicio. "We look forward to continuing to compete in the Dallas and Houston areas, where there are large concentrations of UTEP alumni who have enjoyed following our teams, and we look forward to the new relationships that our Conference USA affiliation will afford us."

"This is a great move for us," said UTEP Director of Athletics Bob Stull. "As a part of the University of Texas System, we felt it was important to align with Texas schools. We have a huge alumni base in Texas, and we do the majority of our recruiting in the state. Joining Conference USA gives us a stable environment for the future, and provides us with greater exposure in three highly populated time zones."

"We're leaving one really good, competitive football conference and going to another one," said UTEP football coach Mike Price. "No matter what conference we're in, my main job will be to win as many games as we can. It certainly makes sense for a Texas school to be involved with the Western Division of Conference USA, and I'm excited about our future."

"We're excited to be in a league with other Texas schools," said UTEP men's basketball coach Doc Sadler. "It will be a quality league for men's basketball, with a history of getting multiple teams into the NCAA Tournament."

"This is a great move for the UTEP athletic department," said UTEP women's basketball coach Keitha Green. "From a women's basketball standpoint, we are excited to be joining Conference USA because it is an outstanding conference. Year in and year out, they have several teams in the NCAA Tournament. It's going to be an exciting challenge for our program and athletic department."

"Conference USA is a very solid league," said UTEP track and field coach Bob Kitchens. "There are a lot of good schools there. I have enjoyed being in the WAC, and we are going to enjoy being in Conference USA. It is a great fit for our program, the athletic department and the university."

Conference USA sponsors 19 sports -- baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, soccer, tennis and track & field (indoor and outdoor) for men and basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, track & field (indoor and outdoor) and volleyball for women. Fifteen of UTEP's 16 intercollegiate athletic teams will compete under the Conference USA banner, the exception being rifle which will continue to participate as an independent.

Conference USA has tie-ins with five bowl games -- AutoZone Liberty Bowl (Memphis, Tenn.), GMAC Bowl (Mobile, Ala.), Sheraton Hawaii Bowl (Honolulu, Hawaii), Wyndham New Orleans Bowl (New Orleans, La.) and PlainsCapital Fort Worth Bowl (Fort Worth, Texas).

Conference USA was introduced on April 24, 1995 in Chicago. Britton Banowsky was named the league's second commissioner in October 2002.

Since its inception Conference USA has fielded 34 NCAA Tournament teams in men's basketball, including one Final Four team and three Elite Eight teams; 22 bowl teams in football; and 34 NCAA Tournament teams in women's basketball.

Among C-USA's 5,000 student-athletes, there are champions off the playing field as well. In eight years, 68 student-athletes earned national Verizon Academic All-America honors, while 162 were named All-District. In addition, more than 7,500 student-athletes have been named to the Commissioner's Honor Roll or received the Commissioner's Academic Medal, indicative of outstanding achievement in the classroom. The conference annually awards six postgraduate scholarships, along with the Sport Academic Award, Scholar Athletes of the Year and the Institutional Academic Excellence Award.

ESPN, Inc. and C-USA entered into an exclusive eight-year agreement, beginning with the 2001 season. The multi-faceted agreement, which incorporates ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN Regional Television, ABC Sports, ESPN.com and ESPN Classic, is highlighted by: ESPN/ESPN2's coverage of C-USA football featuring weeknight games; televising possible future C-USA Football Championship Games on ABC; men's basketball coverage; syndication and network rights for the conference's football and basketball coverage through ERT; continued exposure for women's basketball, along with volleyball, baseball, soccer and softball, as well as marketing rights. The league also provides exposure for women's basketball, men's and women's soccer, volleyball, baseball and softball through the Conference USA Television Network.

UTEP has been affiliated with the Western Athletic Conference since September 1967. The Miners have won 20 national championships as WAC members, and 21 overall. UTEP has claimed 53 Western Athletic Conference team titles.

UTEP captured the 1966 national crown in men's basketball, when the school was known as Texas Western College. To this day, UTEP is the only school in the state of Texas to have won a national championship in men's basketball.

Conference USA will be the third league for UTEP, which was a member of the now-disbanded Border Conference from 1935-62.
    They don't have baseball do they? The lies continue :x
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

We need another lifeline. FaninMonroe, you don't have another "there is still hope" post to give?

I have to believe that UTEP supplied someone with some great stuuf to be able to pull this off! It makes no sense.

Big Dog DCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really nice DCDAWG's Avatar
    Congratulations Miners. Now sign over half your athletic budget to Southwest Airlines.
    Of course, there are some on here that will tell you I am a conservative lemming without a mind or compass -- CARTEK

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute
    I hope UTEP brings CUSA alot of money because I know they wont bring them any competition. It will be hilarious going to the CUSA board to make fun of them because of all the losses they will have to 1AA teams in football though. The money will look good behind the scenes, but to the nation, CUSA will be a mockery.

I know, I know, sour grapes....but this just seems ludicrous. All we can do now is hope that Utah State doesn't show an interest in CUSA on the next go around because I'm sure Logan is more populated than Ruston. Someone please tell me this whole thing is just a cruel joke these CUSA guys are playing on us.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    I hope the whole d*#m conference goes broke right along with them.

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar
    I feel we deserve an explanation from our athletic dept on why the h*ll we weren't picked. And I don't want any more lies.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    We were used, and I don't like to be used.

In my opinion, given the obvious short length of the meeting, Jim Oakes and Dan Reneau were misled and deceived by people that supposedly had integrity. I would never take any of the presidents involved or their ADs word for anything. It is a business thing!

From a business perspective, this is an awful deal for every school involved. Not one thing about it makes sense...and that's not sour grapes...it's a pretty good business acumen!

CUSA should never get the opportunity to use us like this again. And we should never seek to align ourselves with them again.

I will not attend another game at any CUSA school (even next season's WAC members) unless the ticket is free. I will not reward them for this. If I could wave my hand and turn them all to dust, the bastards would be loosed in the breeze right now!

This was a done deal long before this meeting was held, and people continued to lie about it! That's why I'm mad!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    It's just not right, reading such negative posts from you Champ. Let's wait and see what Plan B is. And it better be one hell of a Plan B.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by parisdog
    I feel we deserve an explanation from our athletic dept on why the h*ll we weren't picked. And I don't want any more lies.
    We weren't picked because CUSA was looking for market, period! There is absolutely no other explanation.

CUSA will never shoot straight with us about it because they have had been shooting straight with us from the gitgo!

JO and DR worked this for 6 months for most of every day. They were lied to and misled, IMHO, by many that I bet they called friend 2 hours ago! If they are still friends, they are both better men than I am...I hold grudges!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK
    We were used, and I don't like to be used.

In my opinion, given the obvious short length of the meeting, Jim Oakes and Dan Reneau were misled and deceived by people that supposedly had integrity. I would never take any of the presidents involved or their ADs word for anything. It is a business thing!

From a business perspective, this is an awful deal for every school involved. Not one thing about it makes sense...and that's not sour grapes...it's a pretty good business acumen!

CUSA should never get the opportunity to use us like this again. And we should never seek to align ourselves with them again.

I will not attend another game at any CUSA school (even next season's WAC members) unless the ticket is free. I will not reward them for this. If I could wave my hand and turn them all to dust, the bastards would be loosed in the breeze right now!

This was a done deal long before this meeting was held, and people continued to lie about it! That's why I'm mad!
    I kinda like the idea of boycotting LA Tech ROAD games against future CUSA teams Rice, SMU and Tulsa this next year (and UTEP too, though we probably wouldn't have traveld there anyway).

Why should LA Tech fans help those EWAC bastards out? They obviously don't appreciate us or our university.

Like I've said many times before, Louisiana Tech should have given CUSA a DEADLINE of April 1st to issue us an invitation, and then PULLED OUT. At least that way, LA Tech could keep its respect and dignity (like the MAC did).

There was absolutely NO REASON for Lousiana Tech and its fans to be "strung out" like this. It was unethical and immoral.

HD

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar
    ahem....

+ Reply to Thread