+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tech is between a rock and a hard place (Just venting a bit)

Where can Tech end up?? In other words...who would want us??
    I mean if we can't even get into C-USA (which was a perfect fit)….I can't see any other conference giving us the time of day other than the Sun Belt, which we all agree is a step back. The MAC and Big East are the only conferences that need additional schools (of any great number), the MAC could work, but the geography is just as bad as the WAC and the Big East, well…like I said if we can’t even get into CUSA, there’s no way the Big East is calling. I suppose if you pause and look over the existing athletic conferences the BIG 12 is our best bet (that is to keep any geographical rivalry alive) but unless MAJOR changes are done and we all are patient for several years…..oh and we actually win consistently, that won’t ever happen….but hey….BIG 13 sounds good….(LOL).
    Anyway, I’m just frustrated and really sick of the lack of respect we receive. The sad thing is staying in the WAC is the only thing to do, but if we make the EAST-WAC division like some have said, it will be full of Sun Belt or newly elevated Div II schools and it would be just like we went to the Sun Belt after all and the amount of respect the WAC would get then would be worse than now.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    All of this is going to boil down to Ruston.

That is why we are NEVER going to be in a BCS conference or even CUSA.

We will be VERY lucky to stay D1A due to Ruston.

Ruston, LA , where the police wear commando outfits to direct traffic.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    FIM, we have to get beyond Ruston and recognize that we "should" own a swath 50 miles either side of I-20 stretching from the Mississippi River on the east to Marshall on the west. If we ever get DR to understand that, our potential in every aspect of university life is unlimited.

If I can see that from Houston, why is it that others can't see it from the eye of the storm?
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar
    Yes, Tech has to go after the market.
    Just win and ...

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe

If freakin' Starkville, Mississippi can support a Division 1-A football program, than Ruston, LA can support one too.

Of course, it's not Starkville that's supporting Mississippi State. It's Mississippi. So, if Louisiana Tech is going to be where MSU is, it can't be just Ruston that is Tech's support base, or even Lincoln Parish with Ouachita Parish It has to be North Louisiana.

Don't even say a word to me about LSU and their bandwagon. Has Tech done anything at all to lay claim to all of North Louisiana? Promotions? Planning? Marketing? Sales and advertising strategies? Season ticket drives? You can't just say, "Here is D1-A football folks, come watch!" You've got to make people want to come. You've got to get their attention.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe

FIM, a blind man can see Ruston does not support Tech as is should. However, again, we cannot allow anyone with the administration at Tech blame Ruston. It is a Tech problem.

We should not have to market Ruston. We should not have to market the students. However, if the residents of Ruston and the students at Tech don't support the university, it is the job of the administration to change that mindset. It is not the residents' job to support Tech. It is not the students' job to support Tech. It is the administrations job to get both to support Tech. They have failed.

Again, the blame game cannot be played. Tech has failed and continues to fail in marketing its product. All of these thing are being used as a crutch by the administration. It's time they learn how to walk without the crutch.

Puppy housedog is an unknown
    Tech needs to just stand by for a while.. Don't go into sunbelt with hat in our hand.. Jim Oakes should step down and be given a job selling tickets at fb games ala joe ray.

Someone with experience in ad position should be hired retool and move forward.. Oakes got him position by being an employee of jb johnston and tech has really suffered.. JB111 fb coiach, mens bb, etc

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute
    I have to laugh at myself, and tell on myself as well.

Back in the 80's as I got the chance and focused on following Tech football once again, I remember being frantic in wanting to get to Ruston in plenty of time to be able to find a parking place and making sure I could get decent tickets. HA HA.

I even remember cancelling one trip up because I could not get away in time to get to the stadium on time to insure I would be able to get in ( an NLU game I think).

As a result, I began buying season tickets. I actually thought that with the success we were having on the field the day was approaching that those tickets were going to be hard to come by.

Hello!

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    The only game I ever missed the start of due to the crowd and long lines at the ticket windows was during the glory years when Tech hosted Mississippi Valley State in the playoffs.

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game
    oledawg66,

I had to park at the baseball stadium for that game!!!

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetstorm
    If freakin' Starkville, Mississippi can support a Division 1-A football program, than Ruston, LA can support one too.

Of course, it's not Starkville that's supporting Mississippi State. It's Mississippi. So, if Louisiana Tech is going to be where MSU is, it can't be just Ruston that is Tech's support base, or even Lincoln Parish with Ouachita Parish It has to be North Louisiana.

The point is that towns like Starville open their doors for football weekends and make it a point that the entire weekend long experience is a good one for all MSU fans that arive in Starkville.

Ruston, during most home games, you can not even tell a game is going on that weekend. Unless the leaders of Ruston decided to open their town to the masses and make them feel welcome, we will never break the 23K season average in Ruston. NEVER.

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar
    FIM, I would agree with you on that 100%, and you are right in that specific point; Ruston has got to change.

Ruston has changed very little in the time I've been gone. It's not a "college town," it's a town with a college. La. Tech just isn't plastered everywhere and valued as the heart of the community like it should be.

I really don't know what could be done to change this, other than all you hardcore Tech fans moving back to Ruston and building up a huge political/propaganda apparatus that demands 100% total commitment and loyalty to Louisiana Tech for a citizen to even live a happy life in Ruston, that if you don't "support Tech" you are not even welcome to live there. Maybe that would work (it could also create a severe backlash). Other than that, I'm clueless about how to fix it.

Varsity Bulldog Screenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeScreenname Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    MSU plays good teams at home...Tech doesn't, that's why they get attendance.

+ Reply to Thread