+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm Not Buying it..........

Big Dog TXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the rough TXDAWG81's Avatar
    First let me say that losing the CUSA bid to the likes of UTEP is embarrassing!!! There I said it!

Second, I just don't buy into all the reasons many are giving. I've been in sales for over 22 years and many times I've closed deals when my price wasn't the best or my product wasn't the most flashy. No, I closed those deals because my customer trusted me and wanted to do business with me. I believe this element played a much larger role in the final outcome. I'm convinced we didn't close the deal because several of the players just don't won't to associate with La Tech (a certain USM AD comes to mind) and our admin's didn't do enough to heal old wounds. Remember the brawl in Tulsa? etc, etc, etc.........

Market Size: Any market where 70% of the HH's speak Spanish as the primary language is suspect. Sorry PC crowd. Also, didn't hear anyone address HH income E.P. vs NoLA. Also, how much of that market is across the border.

Athletic Budget: UTEP $10mm vs LTU $9mm. That's a wash.

On Field Results: With the exception of MBB this year, Tech dominates. Especially in men's baseball. Hard to argue that since they don't even have a team.

Facilities: Heard someone point out that if you include Independence Stadium our facilities stack right up.

Fan Attendance: Ah Now we're finding one of our perceived warts. Admitted our at home attendance is below UTEPs but when you factor in (sell) the reality that LTU will bring lots more fans to CUSA away games I say this is a wash as well. Even I could "sell around" this perceived deficiency.

So when I finished scratching my head in amazement I have to believe that we were sucker punched by some CUSA folks that simply don't want to do business with us. (a certain USM AD comes to mind)

Yeah we need to be about improving all areas of LTU athletics, but we must do a better job on the relationship side of the sell job next time as well.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar
    You can believe what you want...but perceived market was the lynchpin coupled with the fact that UAB, USM, and Memphis do not want to recruit against us. The EAST schools dictated who the WEST schools would partner with. These are the facts.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar
    We aren't in because we didn't deserve to be in. We have to face that reality or we will miss the next round as well. No more excuses please.

Big Dog TXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the roughTXDAWG81 is a jewel in the rough TXDAWG81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    We aren't in because we didn't deserve to be in. We have to face that reality or we will miss the next round as well. No more excuses please.
    Couldn't disagree with you more. We are every bit as much a viable candidate for CUSA membership as UTEP. My heads not in the sand, we do need to make some improvements to keep up with other candidates for next time, but come on.....UTEP!!!

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar
    Couldn't disagree with you more. We are every bit as much a viable candidate for CUSA membership as UTEP. My heads not in the sand, we do need to make some improvements to keep up with other candidates for next time, but come on.....UTEP!!!
    I totally agree that we are every bit as viable a candidate or more than UTEP. But, we have the chance to make improvements here. I think it would be a great time to start making improvements now so that the next time we will not be overlooked. I do think the "plan" is huge. What we do now will determine our fate. If we do nothing and sit back and wait, we will not be chosen the next go round either.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar
    I'm actually starting to believe that the Belt is a much more attractive conference than CUSA, especially given the recent stuff that has happened.

Let's say the next round of BCS foolishness happens and Memphis and Marshall or ECU go to the Big East. Suddenly you have a conference that spans from Carolina or WV to El Paso, and the only school with any winning tradition in the conference is Southern Mississippi. So, what will they do? Raid the MAC? Raid the Sun Belt? How much better of a conference will that be than the Sun Belt if we join? Two million bucks is a lot to pay for very liittle!

I don't understand what is so great about CUSA for us not to "deserve" to be in there. The way I see it, by moving away from a regional structure and obviously killing their own power rating in football, they are becoming more like the far-flung WAC every day.

Quote Originally Posted by TXDAWG81
    First let me say that losing the CUSA bid to the likes of UTEP is embarrassing!!! There I said it!

Second, I just don't buy into all the reasons many are giving. I've been in sales for over 22 years and many times I've closed deals when my price wasn't the best or my product wasn't the most flashy. No, I closed those deals because my customer trusted me and wanted to do business with me. I believe this element played a much larger role in the final outcome. I'm convinced we didn't close the deal because several of the players just don't won't to associate with La Tech (a certain USM AD comes to mind) and our admin's didn't do enough to heal old wounds. Remember the brawl in Tulsa? etc, etc, etc......

Market Size: Any market where 70% of the HH's speak Spanish as the primary language is suspect. Sorry PC crowd. Also, didn't hear anyone address HH income E.P. vs NoLA. Also, how much of that market is across the border.

On Field Results: With the exception of MBB this year, Tech dominates. Especially in men's baseball. Hard to argue that since they don't even have a team.

Facilities: Heard someone point out that if you include Independence Stadium our facilities stack right up.

Fan Attendance: Ah Now we're finding one of our perceived warts. Admitted our at home attendance is below UTEPs but when you factor in (sell) the reality that LTU will bring lots more fans to CUSA away games I say this is a wash as well. Even I could "sell around" this perceived deficiency.

So when I finished scratching my head in amazement I have to believe that we were sucker punched by some CUSA folks that simply don't want to do business with us. (a certain USM AD comes to mind)

Yeah we need to be about improving all areas of LTU athletics, but we must do a better job on the relationship side of the sell job next time as well.
    Next time I see Mr. G. I will have to tell him how he single handed kept mighty LaTech out of CUSA. Some of you clowns need to be in the circus. Funny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Usmbacker
    Some of you clowns need to be in the circus. Funny stuff.
    Unintentional comedy in it's highest form. :lol:

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by asuwon
    Unintentional comedy in it's highest form. :lol:
    Back from your wedding in San Francisco already?

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar
    I am glad you morons from Southern Miss. will enjoy traveling to El Paso for games. Now we all know why Miss. is dead last in education.

Quote Originally Posted by Usmbacker
    [quote:ede221b522="TXDAWG81"]First let me say that losing the CUSA bid to the likes of UTEP is embarrassing!!! There I said it!

Second, I just don't buy into all the reasons many are giving. I've been in sales for over 22 years and many times I've closed deals when my price wasn't the best or my product wasn't the most flashy. No, I closed those deals because my customer trusted me and wanted to do business with me. I believe this element played a much larger role in the final outcome. I'm convinced we didn't close the deal because several of the players just don't won't to associate with La Tech (a certain USM AD comes to mind) and our admin's didn't do enough to heal old wounds. Remember the brawl in Tulsa? etc, etc, etc......

Next time I see Mr. G. I will have to tell him how he single handed kept mighty LaTech out of CUSA. Some of you clowns need to be in the circus. Funny stuff.[/quote:ede221b522]

When personal dynamics are involved in any selling / buying situation one very vocal passionate participant can sway others to their POV. In this case only 1 or 2 votes needed swaying. I suspect your "Mr. G." played that role. I base that on numerous posts by USM backers on their boards that Tech would join CUSA over G's dead body. Your own folks revealed that in-sight, I didn't just dream it up or find it at the circus.

PS: Please do give G our regards!

+ Reply to Thread