+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expansion statement - WAC

May 4, 2004

WAC Statement Regarding Conference Expansion

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Following is a summary of actions taken by the Western Athletic Conference Athletics Directors regarding the WAC’s future membership. The Athletics Directors are meeting in Scottsdale, Ariz.

The Athletics Directors discussed various membership models, including remaining at eight teams, or expanding to nine, 10 or 12 teams.

The Athletics Directors will continue to evaluate these models prior to the annual Board of Directors meeting, held June 3-5.

The Athletics Directors did not make any recommendations to the WAC board on this issue.

It is expected that the WAC board would make any decision on future membership at its June 3-5 annual meeting.

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar
    Who thinks ULL and UNT will leave the SBC after their solidarity agreement to stay in the crappiest D1 conference in America.

Oh yeah, provided Sally Clausen doesn't make us all drop to D1AA.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar
    There they go again, giving me just the slightes glimmer of hope to hang on to for another month or two. It we were able to go to 12 teams we would be in pretty damn good shape. But again, I just don't see anybody standing in line to join us in the east.

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar
    Is that because the SBC schools like where they are?

Statement of solidarity my A$$, FAU and FIU not even going to make it to D1, WKU has left for the MAC, MSU to the WAC, ULM in serious jeopardy of losing D1 status, but SBC will welcome Tech back in a heart beat. The SBC will not be a conference in 2006.

Puppy KungPaoCajun is an unknown KungPaoCajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossdawg
    Statement of solidarity my A$$, FAU and FIU not even going to make it to D1, WKU has left for the MAC, MSU to the WAC, ULM in serious jeopardy of losing D1 status, but SBC will welcome Tech back in a heart beat. The SBC will not be a conference in 2006.
    BossDawg, wake up. I tend to tolerate a lot of the smack here but yours is totally unfounded and reeks of desperation.

No one, save Idaho, wants in the WAC. If you're looking to stay in the WAC and expand, try the Vandals, Montana and/or Northern Colorado.

FAU will be a kick a-- football team in a season or two... they've already got their first win over a 1-A team. FIU will probably be as competetive in football as they are in basketball (not at all) but they WILL make it.

WKU's President is one of two presidents (UNT is the other) that are quoted in the "Solidarity" press release. Their fans are delusional - next week you'll see a rumor on their board about WKU being a candidate for the Big Televen opening to go to a 12 team Big Ten. They aren't going anywhere. Everyone but their message board knows it.

The JuCo will get by with their "Home" game in Little Rock and will, at least, be a football-only member of the Sun Belt. They will be full members if your school keeps throwing money at the WAC and doesn't get on the phone with Wright Waters.

The Sun Belt is not disappearing. And, ULa sure as hell doesn't want to be in the only conference in America where every team wishes they were somewhere else.

Have fun playing Women's Volleyball in Boise or hope your AD gets on the phone with the Sun Belt. :roll:

Are you saying that you enjoy being in the SBC and if something better comes along you would stay in the SBC. If so then that is striving for mediocrity more than Tech has. If you really think the SBC will last into 2010, you should really take off the googles, and nothing I said was to flame or belittle, it is the way things will go.

Thw Wac needs schools, so they will go to the SBC for teams. In a couple of years CUSA will be looking for 2-3 teams to replace the ones they lose to the Big East. FIU and FAU will not be ready for D1 until aleast 2006 if they qualify for a move, Ulm in serious danger of losing football. No flame. Just what I see hapening, I guess you could stick to thw SBC if you want, but I'm pretty sure your president will see the bigger picture.

It is not about how good a football team is, it is how many people watch the games from the stands.

Are you saying that you enjoy being in the SBC and if something better comes along you would stay in the SBC.
    He's trying to tell you that the WAC is "not something better," and that the only Sun Belt school with any interest in moving to the WAC is Idaho.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar
    INDIANS spells victory?!?!? Since when?

Puppy KungPaoCajun is an unknown KungPaoCajun's Avatar
    Are you saying that you enjoy being in the SBC and if something better comes along you would stay in the SBC. If so then that is striving for mediocrity more than Tech has.
    We don't have a C-USA invite. That is the only move out there that would be vertical.

Thw Wac needs schools, so they will go to the SBC for teams.
    What makes you think we want to go to the WAC? It is a lateral move that is more expensive with no close bowls. If you come to the 'Belt, you get to reap the rewards of the last three years of work we've put into it... including a bowl in your own state and an eventual bowl in Miami (still a few years away but likely).

I guess you could stick to thw SBC if you want, but I'm pretty sure your president will see the bigger picture.
    He's already been quoted in the Lafayette paper saying he isn't going to consider a WAC that doesn't have divisions. Try talking your conference mates into that.

It is not about how good a football team is, it is how many people watch the games from the stands.
    There is a thread on this board that shows LA Tech's highest average attendance for home games being against Sun Belt teams.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    You Belt fans are really funny. The WAC a LATERAL MOVE??????????? hahahahaaha

The Belt is a struggling bottom dweller. They are not even close to the competition in the WAC. WAC football is better than CUSA football - see bowl results.

Varsity Bulldog rcajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time
    Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    You Belt fans are really funny. The WAC a LATERAL MOVE??????????? hahahahaaha

The Belt is a struggling bottom dweller. They are not even close to the competition in the WAC. WAC football is better than CUSA football - see bowl results.
    KungpaoCajun expresses a view held by many Cajun fans. I can only speak for myself. An eastern WAC made up of Tech, ASU, UNT, UL, Troy State and maybe MTSU would be the best of the Belt and a better conference then what we are in. I believe they are upset because it would be the end of the Belt but these days, loyality to a conference is just an outdated old quaint notion.

Puppy Badgerwolf is on the way downBadgerwolf is on the way down Badgerwolf's Avatar
    The only school that will leave the SBC for the WAC will be Idaho. They are a WESTERN team and they belong in a WESTERN conference.
    We Are A-State!!!
    Respect All -- Fear None!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute
    rcajun,
    What are your thoughts on if ULL would leave the Belt? I think that they would IF there were more Eastern teams that agreed. Of course, my opinion and those of ULL and UNT are just that - opinions.

No matter what the official word was about solidarity last week, that can change in a heart beat. If the Belt schools mentioned do not wish to move to a better conference, then they are not wanting to grow. Again, just my opinion.

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar
    Posted on: Wednesday, May 5, 2004
    WAC likely to expand

By Stephen Tsai
    Advertiser Staff Writer

Although no official decision was made yesterday, the Western Athletic Conference is likely to increase its membership by at least one school for the 2005-'06 academic year.

The WAC presidents, who must approve membership changes, are scheduled to meet June 3 to 5, although they could discuss the matter in a teleconference.

"We expect our presidents will finalize something (at the June meeting)," WAC commissioner Karl Benson said.

On July 1, 2005, four schools — Rice, Southern Methodist, Texas-El Paso and Tulsa — will secede from the WAC and join Conference USA. At the same time, New Mexico State and Utah State will join the WAC. The WAC will be left with eight members, including Hawai'i, Boise State, Fresno State, Louisiana Tech, Nevada and San Jose State.

While the WAC could manage with eight members, Benson said, "I think a nine-team model is a better model than an eight-team model."

With nine members, each football team could play a balanced conference schedule of four road games and four home games.

Benson said the WAC athletic directors, meeting in Scottsdale, Ariz, this week, discussed models of eight, nine, 10 and 12 teams.

Last year, Benson pushed for a 12-team league split into two six-team divisions. But that was before the announced departure of Rice, SMU and Tulsa of the Central time zone and UTEP of the Mountain time zone. "At one time, I was a 12-team proponent," Benson said. "At this point, I don't have an opinion."

Idaho, North Texas and Louisiana-Lafayette have been mentioned as expansion candidates. Idaho could serve as Boise State's travel partner. North Texas, which is located 30 miles from Dallas, or Louisiana-Lafayette could pair with Louisiana Tech.

As for a published report that Louisiana Tech is seeking to join the Sun Belt Conference, Benson said, "No, absolutely not. We're expecting Louisiana Tech to continue to be a productive member of the Western Athletic Conference."

A statment of solidarity is just that when it comes to athletics, a statment, not a bond between a conference and a school.

These presidents are smart, and I think they will make the best decisions for the school not the conference, all schools do. That is why the statement is a bunch of crap that nobody except SBC fans believe.

Don't come on here and talk about comparing attendances of tech to the SBC because Tech is not in danger of losing its D1 status because of attendance requirements.

ULM is.
    So is FAU and FIU, neither average more than 10,000 per game.

I also think that Troy state and MTSU will be picked up by either the MAC or CUSA soon, they have shown alot and have what bigger conferences like, potential.

Come back in July and talk to me about solidarity again. If your school is chosen and accepts a bid by the WAC, are you going to be disappointed?

+ Reply to Thread