+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does SBC even have enough .....?

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

Re: Does SBC even have enough .....?

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967
    What if the Pac10 expands first?
    IF the PAC 10 expands, it is a ways away. the PAC 10 and the Big 10 are pissed at the BCS because they haven't had their rose bowl as much as they are used to. The rose bowl is HUGE money. both conferences have essentially said that the money from the rose bowl is more important than a mythical national championship. definitely a blue-blood aristocratic arrogance there.

the last time they thought about expansion was in 89 or 90. they asked Texas and Colorado if they wanted in. at that point both schools had comitted to the soon to be formed Big 12. that is the level of team they are looking to add if they expand. as good as some of the MWC teams are, they do not bring the recognition and prestigue as CU or UT. i can easily see the PAC 10 being the last BCS conference to expand.

oh, oh....that reminds me of another team that the Big 10 wants. i know i said that expansion would ONLY involve ND, but i remember hearing that they have flirted with Missouri (i have no idea why) for the past 30 years or so. so IF the Big 10 takes MO, i can see the PAC 10 going hard after Texas and Colorado again. who knows what would happen from there.

Varsity Bulldog arkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nice

Mizzou is a great academic fit for the Big 10, they are a major research center in several fields and offer over 50 PhD programs plus a DVM, JD, and LLM.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Now that just dont make no sense at all! Texas and Colorado are both 3 states removed from the Pacific Ocean. Shoot, Austin is within 200 miles of the Gulf coast! Austin is closer to Boston than to Pullman, WA!

I see UT & aTm going to the $ec before UT & CU head for the Pac10. But why would any school (Mizzou included!) want to leave the Big12?

But then if we were going by what makes sense, Tech would already be in CUSA. This stuff hurts my head.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

i could see the pac 10 adding colorado and colorado st., both teams recruit california.

that would leave the big 12 looking to add arkansas or iowa or minnesota. it would also leave the mwc with 8, so the wac would be in trouble.

if the big 12 added iowa to replace colorado, that would leave the big 10 with 10. pitt and syracuse would be the favorites to join, the big east would add ecu and ucf or memphis. and then maybe we would have a chance for cusa.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

GrassyNole,

Both of your posts make a lot of sense. I knew about the CiC, but I hadn't thought about not needing Pitt sense they have Penn St. I guess I'm used to the old "welfare state" mentality that we Tech fans have always had to deal with in La. I just assumed that having a "big name" school in your own state wanting you in their conference would be a big advantage, but after hearing your logic, maybe not.

The Big 10 taking ND wouldn't cause much of a shakeup within the conference ranks because they are an indy. But, the Mizzou thing is much more interesting. Mizzou doesn't bring quite the alumni base that ND would, nor do they bring the $$$ and the TV contracts.

Only me thinking out loud here...but if Mizzou joined the Big 10 what happens next? Who would the Big 12 get as a replacement? (maybe Colorado St?) Would the PAC 10 go after Colorado or UT? If one of them accepts, what then? The Big 12 might go after ND themselves which would be kind of interesting. If the Big 12 lost more than one school, they would probably turn to the MWC to refill. Then it all flows downhill like it did this time. Lots of things to ponder there.

I definitely agree that the PAC 10 is the most arrogant. They are the least likely to go to 12 not only because of arrogance, but also because of low number of teams to choose from if they expanded. Hawaii is the only "mid-major" school I can think of that might have a good shot at getting in. And, even that ain't real good.

But all of these things would happen several years in the future, if at all. So, what will the next round be, and how will it allow La. Tech to move? Will it be UTEP to MWC? Or do you think the next move will come from the Big 10?

What is the timetable we are discussing here?

Just a side note, this article just came out today. Probably wouldn't look good for Mizzou if the expansion happened tomorrow.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4948212/

Varsity Bulldog arkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nicearkstfan is just really nice

This stuff hurts my head.
    Can't argue with that!

Mizzou brings a much larger alumni base, they are turning out a lot more grads than Notre Dame. Notre Dame is about the same size as ASU, La.Tech and Ole Miss.

But they have one the highest graduation rates in the country, one of the highest ratios of undergrads who go on to get graduate degrees and one of the largest endowments in the country.

Never mind their freaking TV ratings. As has been said before virtually everyone in America turns in to see Notre Dame play and nearly as many are watching hoping they lose as hope they win.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

I see UT & aTm going to the $ec before UT & CU head for the Pac10.
    apparently UT and CU agree with you and that is why they are in the Big 12.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg
    GrassyNole,
    Both of your posts make a lot of sense. I knew about the CiC, but I hadn't thought about not needing Pitt sense they have Penn St. I guess I'm used to the old "welfare state" mentality that we Tech fans have always had to deal with in La. I just assumed that having a "big name" school in your own state wanting you in their conference would be a big advantage, but after hearing your logic, maybe not.
    I am not sure where the idea that Penn State wants Pitt in the Big 10 game from. my guess is that it came from Pitt fans. from what i saw last year at this time the Big 10 fans have no real interest in Pitt. i have no idea what the university presidents think, but their fans look at them as being a team that needs to rent a stadium named after ketsup just to have a place to play (i.e. Busch league). IMO as long as JoePa is living, Pitt and Penn State will not be in the same conference. Pitt thrust a knife into PSU's back in 80 when it was a founding member of the Big East and kept PSU out. at the very least they did not let PSU know about the talks that formed the BE and left them out of the loop hoping to gain some sort of advantage.

The Big 10 taking ND wouldn't cause much of a shakeup within the conference ranks because they are an indy. But, the Mizzou thing is much more interesting. Mizzou doesn't bring quite the alumni base that ND would, nor do they bring the $$$ and the TV contracts.

Only me thinking out loud here...but if Mizzou joined the Big 10 what happens next? Who would the Big 12 get as a replacement? (maybe Colorado St?) Would the PAC 10 go after Colorado or UT? If one of them accepts, what then? The Big 12 might go after ND themselves which would be kind of interesting. If the Big 12 lost more than one school, they would probably turn to the MWC to refill. Then it all flows downhill like it did this time. Lots of things to ponder there.
    realistically i don't think that anyone is leaving the Big 10 or the Big 12. both conferences have established themselves as primier conferences. IF Mizzou became the Big 10's 12th, i'm not sure where they would get a replacement. Arkansas seems like a natural place to start since they would be returning home so to speak with their SWC buddies...but then again they bolted from those teams for a reason. remember Arkansas was the first team to bolt literally starting the 1990 expansion scenarios. a better guess would be a team from the MWC - either BYU or CSU.

but again, i do not think that Mizzou is leaving the B12. the B10 is willing and able to wait indefinitely for ND. the ONLY thing that would get Mizzou into the B10 at this point is ND going to another conference. what other conference would ND go to? the ACC? their demands were too high for us to agree to? the BE? their commissioner (Tranghese) wants a basketball conference and that's it. the only reason they have football at all was to keep Syracuse from bolting to the ACC in 90. i just don't see Tranghese being aggressive enough to get ND into the BE for football. besides, he likes his balance of 8 football and 8 non-football schools. it keeps the voting lines in the conference balanced.

I definitely agree that the PAC 10 is the most arrogant. They are the least likely to go to 12 not only because of arrogance, but also because of low number of teams to choose from if they expanded. Hawaii is the only "mid-major" school I can think of that might have a good shot at getting in. And, even that ain't real good.
    with the arrogance of the P10 i don't think they consider ANY non BCS schools worthy of joining them. i believe the only way they expand if if the B12 somehow breaks apart, and i don't see that happeneing.

But all of these things would happen several years in the future, if at all. So, what will the next round be, and how will it allow La. Tech to move? Will it be UTEP to MWC? Or do you think the next move will come from the Big 10?
    What is the timetable we are discussing here?
    my guess is that the next major round of expansion will come from the east again. i think that the 8 football schools in the BE will want a 9th to balance the schedule (like the MWC did). if they can convince one of the 1AA schools to move up to 1A they will be set. if not they will need to add a football only member. Temple is not an option - they kicked them out already and won't be asking them back in. Army is an independent option. marshall won't join for football only - no good conferences for thier other sports. ECU brings nothing to the table for football. i just don't see a viable football only option to join the BE. so i think in 5 years the football schools will split from the BE and add a 9th all sports member. if i were to take a guess at to who that 9th member would be i would say UCF to give USF a travel partner...but that is nothing more than my speculation.

+ Reply to Thread