+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outgoing Emmert...

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar

Thumbs Up Outgoing Emmert...

I think Cartek has been teaching LSU's chancellor a few things... To bad somebody else won't listen to this kind of logic!!!

Q: How do you walk that delicate line of academia and the jockocracy?

A: It is a delicate line. You've got to be hands on as far as knowing what's going on and making sure the athletic program is serving the university. On the other hand, you want to make sure everybody understands that the president doesn't think that's the real work of the university. The athletic department is an auxiliary enterprise. It's fun. It's exciting. I love sports, but it's not the work of the university. The work of the university is education and research.

Q: Yet you realize how visible athletics is, right?

A: It's an incredibly positive or negative reflection on the university, depending on what's going on. The metaphor I use is athletics is the window through which more people see the university than anything else. Washington's a great example. People think there's all kinds of problems at Washington now. Well, there are problems in the athletic department, but the academic core of the university has never been stronger.

Too bad we can't get a guy like Emmert to run things...:bigcry:

Puppy BongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to allBongDog is a name known to all BongDog's Avatar

Re: Outgoing Emmert...

Dude, there are a hundred guys out there that can do what Emmert has done and there are a hundred more that could do an even better job. The problem is getting the powers that be to mellow out and select someone that differs a little from the fashionplate they want to select!

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar

I agree Bonged one!!!!

I'm afraid Hell will freeze before that happens in Ruston...:bigcry:

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BongDog
    Dude, there are a hundred guys out there that can do what Emmert has done and there are a hundred more that could do an even better job. The problem is getting the powers that be to mellow out and select someone that differs a little from the fashionplate they want to select!
    Unfortunately, one of those guys is not presently occupying the throne on the 16th floor of Wyly tower.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Maybe LSU will take our guy and let us find a new one?????

Big Dog Jetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really niceJetstorm is just really nice Jetstorm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous
    Maybe LSU will take our guy and let us find a new one?????
    Well, seeing as how Dr. Reneau is a Tech guy for life, I don't think he is interested in going anywhere else.

Besides, the LSU Board of Supervisors would take one look at his "strategy" (and I use that term loosely) for advancing athletics and his unyielding desire to be in complete and total control of a university's finances at all times (especially, it seems, the athletic side) and would say, "NO FREAKIN' WAY!" Dr. Reneau wouldn't be able to do to much damage to LSU's athletic funding, since LSU athletics is self-sustaining and there is a wall of separation between the athletic department and the actual university, but he wouldn't be the visionary and helper that Dr. Emmert was, and that alone would cause LSU to lose ground both academically and athletically.

Dr. Emmert's selection as LSU's Chancellor and his belief that athletics can be harnessed to the greater benefit of a university's academics are no coincidence. Prior to his stint at LSU, he was president of the University of Connecticut for several years. It was on his watch that UConn became a dominant force in men's and women's hoops and that the Huskies decided to go Division 1-A in football and build a new 44,000 seat stadium. He knows the truth; outstanding academics and outstanding athletics can co-exist on the same campus; you can have your cake and eat it too. UConn's success in sports got that school noticed. Enrollment and funding from the state increased, and UConn's newfound popularity enabled it to do wonderful things with the new resources that the attention to it's athletic teams brought. He was the kind of chancellor many close to LSU wanted; they didn't want an anti-sports nerd who saw the athletic program as an obstacle rather than a boost to the university's success, but they didn't want a Louisiana "good ol' boy" who'd cheerlead at the football games while letting the university's academic reputation head south. Emmert was the perfect choice.

Tech would benefit greatly from a guy like Emmert in Wyly Tower. I never thought of Dr. Reneau as a "pointy-headed academic" who hates sports, but I'm beginning to think that might be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetstorm
    Well, seeing as how Dr. Reneau is a Tech guy for life, I don't think he is interested in going anywhere else.

Besides, the LSU Board of Supervisors would take one look at his "strategy" (and I use that term loosely) for advancing athletics and his unyielding desire to be in complete and total control of a university's finances at all times (especially, it seems, the athletic side) and would say, "NO FREAKIN' WAY!" Dr. Reneau wouldn't be able to do to much damage to LSU's athletic funding, since LSU athletics is self-sustaining and there is a wall of separation between the athletic department and the actual university, but he wouldn't be the visionary and helper that Dr. Emmert was, and that alone would cause LSU to lose ground both academically and athletically.

Dr. Emmert's selection as LSU's Chancellor and his belief that athletics can be harnessed to the greater benefit of a university's academics are no coincidence. Prior to his stint at LSU, he was president of the University of Connecticut for several years. It was on his watch that UConn became a dominant force in men's and women's hoops and that the Huskies decided to go Division 1-A in football and build a new 44,000 seat stadium. He knows the truth; outstanding academics and outstanding athletics can co-exist on the same campus; you can have your cake and eat it too. UConn's success in sports got that school noticed. Enrollment and funding from the state increased, and UConn's newfound popularity enabled it to do wonderful things with the new resources that the attention to it's athletic teams brought. He was the kind of chancellor many close to LSU wanted; they didn't want an anti-sports nerd who saw the athletic program as an obstacle rather than a boost to the university's success, but they didn't want a Louisiana "good ol' boy" who'd cheerlead at the football games while letting the university's academic reputation head south. Emmert was the perfect choice.

Tech would benefit greatly from a guy like Emmert in Wyly Tower. I never thought of Dr. Reneau as a "pointy-headed academic" who hates sports, but I'm beginning to think that might be the case.
    Wake up Jet man!!! He has the pointiest head of them all!!!

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

How long did Emmert hold lsu's highest postition?

I think our biggest problem is that our head had been atop the fifteenth floor too long.

+ Reply to Thread