+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruston community lack of support to Tech

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Thumbs Down Ruston community lack of support to Tech

Not too long ago like last week I went to Ruston to visit some friends. Later that night we went to Ponchatoula to get some dinner (great food, I got the stuffed catfish, it was huge) While walking to the restaurant I notice this local picture frame shop downtown Ruston. Displayed in front of their store are two big poster prints of LSU football shots. It disappoints me to go back to the town of my alma mater and see this "garbage" displayed.

It's also disappointing when school starts for Tech is that the only sign or banner that welcomes the students back to school each year is Citgo on Tech drive. Thats sad.

This is what I wish would happen to Ruston, when you enter the city from any entrance, you'll see nothing but Blue/Red colors, banners, welcoming sign to home of Louisiana Tech. Also wish stores would have more Tech gear and nothing but Tech stuff displayed in their store (banner, pictures, flags, etc just like Pizza Inn down the street from the university, they do a great job supporting Tech)

You can go to Fayetteville, AR and see Razorback stuff and colors all over town, why can't it be done in Ruston like other college towns?

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar

Re: Ruston community lack of support to Tech

The chamber of commerce must be oblivious to how much revenue Tech students and faculty bring to lil ole ruston.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I dont think the Chamber is the problem. The outgoing president is a great Tech supporter.

Champ TECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really nice TECHAJUN's Avatar

Not to mention that last year's Chairman of the C of C was Tech's own Ronny Walker...and Ronny has been on many C of C boards working his way up to Chairman..The new Chairperson is Kathy Miller of Miller Business Systems and is very very aware of Tech.....as was stated Andy the outgoing President was extremely active in promoting Tech and making sure the Chamber was involved.

There are plans underway to do some unique things to enhance the fact that Ruston is a College Town as opposed to just a town with a college in it. It's coming from the Mayor's office and the planning office and Chamber etc. It was needed a long time ago---but it is now getting much much better. We will see.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Better late than never, I guess. This will turn out REALLY nice if they do a good job of it. I saw somewhere where they wanted to make Arizona Ave. the really nice "entrance avenue" to the campus from downtown, to try and connect the campus and downtown via that street. Only thing is, The last time I drove down Arizona, it struck me as one of the ugliest, most run down streets in town. In order to make that an attractive ,major connection, I think they would most likely have to start by just bulldozing evereything on both sides of the street and starting over.

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

If that's the plan, Arizona would be an AWESOME opportunity to turn it into something like Tiger Town or Dixon St. in Fayetteville -- a couple of blocks on the same stretch that cater to students with bars, shops, restaurants and the like. It's ashame they don't do something with the old lot that was a shopping mall (where the old, scary movie theater was) That's some prime real estate that's just sitting there. I know it's not the best neighborhood, but it could be really good for another strip of something. Could always thrown in another Mexican restaurant or another oil change place

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg03
    If that's the plan, Arizona would be an AWESOME opportunity to turn it into something like Tiger Town or Dixon St. in Fayetteville -- a couple of blocks on the same stretch that cater to students with bars, shops, restaurants and the like.
    EXACTLY! But to do so would pretty much require leveling all the abandoned and run-down crap that is on that street right now.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg03
    If that's the plan, Arizona would be an AWESOME opportunity to turn it into something like Tiger Town or Dixon St. in Fayetteville -- a couple of blocks on the same stretch that cater to students with bars, shops, restaurants and the like. It's ashame they don't do something with the old lot that was a shopping mall (where the old, scary movie theater was) That's some prime real estate that's just sitting there. I know it's not the best neighborhood, but it could be really good for another strip of something. Could always thrown in another Mexican restaurant or another oil change place
    Here is the article (originally posted by EJ) that referrs to the downtown projects:

Ruston OKs purchase of chunk of downtown for parking [and other improvements]
    Jordan Blum
    jblum@thenewsstar.com
    July 7, 2004

RUSTON - The Ruston Board of Aldermen unanimously agreed Tuesday to buy more than 34,000 square feet of downtown property to continue downtown revitalization efforts.

The property, which would be purchased from Sexton Enterprises for an undetermined amount, is between Park Avenue, the railroad tracks and Vienna and Bonner streets. It is next to the new Bonner Street bridge and Railroad Park.

Public Works Director Lewis Love said it is a good opportunity to create additional parking downtown.

"It would be ideal to try and help some of our parking problems downtown," Love said. "As we all know we have a major problem downtown trying to find out where to park everybody."

The additional parking and green space is part of the city's long-term downtown revitalization plans, which include plans to work with Louisiana Tech University to make Arizona Avenue the scenic entry point connecting the university to downtown Ruston.

The board also granted Ruston Mayor Dan Hollingsworth permission to sign a contract with the architectural firms Kinzelman Kline Gossman of Cincinnati and Smith, Tipton, Bailey and Parker of Baton Rouge for development of the conceptual plan between Tech and downtown. The board approved $35,000 for the study.

Areas included in the study are commercial development opportunities, street detail design plans, cost of the redesign of Arizona Avenue, and market renderings to assist in securing state funding and private development.

Hollingsworth described the plans as commitments from the city and Tech to work together for common goals.

The five-year plan for downtown also includes the Chautauqua Green, an extended green space between Monroe Avenue and College Street bordered by Louisiana and Texas avenues.

Other plans include additional downtown greenery, downtown apartments and more overall retail presence, as well as the proposed upscale Harris Historic Inn. There are also plans for the city to hire an economic development director.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

I may be too feeble to visit it in five years. Get to work, Ruston!

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I don't see much happening around Arizona ave if bars/resturants close at 12am. People will still go to Rabbs and the Cue Stick because they open till 2 in the morning. I think Arizona could be a happening street if Ruston stop being anal and uptight, Arizona ave is great...not too many churches around and it's down by the new dorms.

One thing great about Dixon st in fayetteville, is that you can walk from the dorms to your favorite bar/hangout/club and also walk back when you are done partying. No need to drive. College kids will drink and have fun, why not bring it closer to where they live so they won't have to endanger themselves driving.

Puppy stephch2 has turned a few heads around herestephch2 has turned a few heads around here stephch2's Avatar

I wish that if local merchants, restaurants, etc would put up TECH athletic schedules, some pennants, flags, banners, then the athletic dept or marketing or whoever would give the owner free general admission tickets to the different events. Those of us that take pics at games could print up enlargements, put them in a simple frame and take to these places. Tell the owner, you put up this photo and others and I guarantee that I will bring 5 buying customers in before the next home game. With the football games at a later time it should be easy to visit the merchant and still make tailgating.

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby
    Better late than never, I guess. This will turn out REALLY nice if they do a good job of it. I saw somewhere where they wanted to make Arizona Ave. the really nice "entrance avenue" to the campus from downtown, to try and connect the campus and downtown via that street. Only thing is, The last time I drove down Arizona, it struck me as one of the ugliest, most run down streets in town. In order to make that an attractive ,major connection, I think they would most likely have to start by just bulldozing evereything on both sides of the street and starting over.
    this is in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockett
    this is in the works.
    AWESOME! I will volunteer to drive one of the bulldozers, if needed.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Can somone who lives in Ruston tell us why they are tied to the names of streets which are obviously mundanely named for states? Is there a hstorical reason for hanging on to these names? Wouldn't somethng more original be more appropriate? Changing the names to reflect the history and/or tie-ins to Tech would make much more sense to me and would show community support of the university. I suggested earlier that they re-name Alabama to Terry Bradshaw, why not look at changing the name of Arizona? I like F Jay Taylor Blvd. or something similar perhaps even more historical (I was there in the 70's). Three main streets that go into or around the school, Alabama, Arizona, and California could be great candidates.

Maybe we could re-name Alabama to Blue Balls Drive?

DFIH

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous

Maybe we could re-name Alabama to Blue Balls Drive?

DFIH
    Dan Hollingsworth is quite progressive, but maybe not THIS MUCH !

+ Reply to Thread