+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruston community lack of support to Tech

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Ruston community lack of support to Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967
    Quang ... would you say that a textile factory is out of place in Little Rock's RiverMarket?

The Tuf-Nut Building now contains dozens of upscale apartment units.
    Well, we are talking about a cement factory right beside a college, all you see from that area is mounds of sand, rocks, concrete stuff...it's visable and an eye sore to see when going up to a beautiful campus

the tuf-nut is well renovated and kept up. I can't see us putting flowers and landscaping to make the cement factory look any better.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

it's visable and an eye sore to see when going up to a beautiful campus
    Carnall Hall on UAF campus had been condemned for decades. It was an eyesore on their campus not unlike a pile of gravel or sand. Nobody could have guessed that it would be four-star hotel, completely booked up for the next 10 football seasons.

I can't see us putting flowers and landscaping to make the cement factory look any better.
    But the people who DID have the vision to picture a revitalized Carnall Hall are now quite rich and hailed as community heroes.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockett
    The TKE House is now a part of Ruston history. It will now be parking. The bowling alley is next, I think.
    What happened to the TKEs?

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg
    What happened to the TKEs?
    Who cares?

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

renovation versus destruction is usually a dollars and cents issue. If the people who purchase the property have the cash and the "desire" to renovate then it is usually done. However, my father and family have been in and around the construction business for almost 30 year, it sometimes will cost the new owners more to renovate than it will to tear down the original structure and build a brand new building. Most new owners have the cash to renovate, but not the "desire" or respect for the history involved with a certain piece of property. They are usually in it to make a profit off their new acquisition, and who blames them. Both of you have a valid point, Champ-QNG001, but no matter what it will come down to how much money the university, city, or private ownership is willing to "invest/lose" on the project. If they don't see the citizens or students supporting their establishment enough to have a high profit margin, one that would offset added cost, then I guarantee destruction and prefabrication. I personally prefer restoration, but with all this being said I think we have devoted to much energy to this particular topic and have more interesting things to talk about as JBIII and the crew start stepping back up to the mic and onto the field.

just my .02

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001
    how about that cement factory place by the bowling alley, that place is an eye sore and plus it is missed placed, should be located outside of city limits
    Not trying to get off subject... but that is a concrete plant. Cement is one ingredient of concrete. It is not produced at a plant, but is a mineral that is mined. Concrete is the final product that is produced when cement is mixed with water, sand, and rock/gravel.

I am sure it was 'in the country' at one time, just as Tech was.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Current Kappa Sigma active talking here. I gotta say, I hate that cement factory. I think we've got our house looking pretty nice (well, for a fraternity house, anyway), but that damn factory makes that whole part of Texas St. look horrible. That loud-ass siren doesn't help matters either.

And, It really, truely, deeply saddens me to see the TKE house go. Couldn't happen to a nicer group of people....

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

It's a "concrete plant". EJ corrected us. Sorry, thought that would be funny.

Administrator EJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud ofEJ has much to be proud of EJ's Avatar

I have to be able to complain about something else besides the football coach!

+ Reply to Thread