+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real State of the University

Bulldog MattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around here MattEE's Avatar

Real State of the University

Hello All,

I understand by the posts here that last night DR gave a state of the university speech. It sounds like all the alumni really enjoyed the evening. Great, now let me just give you one students opinion of the state of TECH. TECH is strong. Stronger than when I started back in the Fall of 2001. And in the work world it is even stronger. What I mean to say is that I am an intern at Entergy's System Operations Center in Pine Bluff, AR. The engineering and operations staff is overwhemingly filled with TECH students or graduates. There are 12 full time TECH alums here and 4 from LSU and 3 from Mississippi State. In other words those who control the lights for LA, MS, AR, and south east Texas are pretty much all from our school. The TECH folks are universally respected by their peers and the management. My point in saying all this is that often we get down on ourselves on this board way too quickly. Yeah athletics was very disappointing last year. And I hope it gets better. Yes I do go to the games and try to bring my family. My brother who is 13 already knows where he is going and it's Blue and Red so take a guess. Let's get behind our programs and our school. I know most all of us here are. Let's unite to demand change where it needs to be. But let's take heart in what a gift TECH is. It really is 110 years of a Tradition in Excellence! I have never met a broke alumnus or a rude alumnus the one's I have met are great. Well that's all I got. I just want yall to know there are still some true TECH folks out here. Hope to see yall at Nevada! Please lemme know what you think.

Matthew Bellott
    Student Intern Transmission Security
    Entergy SOC

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Re: Real State of the University

Good post Matt. I have a son (and a future daughter-in-law) going to Tech right now. They like it. I thnk DR is doing a good job on the academic side. I'm not so sure about the athletic side, but we all know what is most important.
    Good luck to you.
    Go Tech!

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Matt, Do any of those other 12 graduates ever make the games?

Big Dog Easydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the roughEasydawg is a jewel in the rough Easydawg's Avatar

Matt
    Excellent post

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten
    Matt, Do any of those other 12 graduates ever make the games?
    Or give to CHAMPS?
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster
    Or give to CHAMPS?
    When I read the original post, I said to myself, "self, this is a very positive and uplifting post. How can anyone say anything negative about this?" ......

What if they don't come to the games or give to Champs? It would be nice if they did, but we see Tech graduates being successful out in the business world. Believe it or not, that is the major mission of the University - to create successful graduates. The rest is just gravy.

Bulldog MattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around here MattEE's Avatar

Yeah, some do come and give to champs. Look all I meant was that TECH is a great university and its graduates need to realize this fact. But in the end the reason I posted this was to show that despite the foul ups in Reneau's office and Bicknell's failure last year. We are still a very well respected university. In light of this I think academically and athletically the only place we can go is up.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Wink Re: Real State of the University

Quote Originally Posted by Rockett
    When I read the original post, I said to myself, "self, this is a very positive and uplifting post. How can anyone say anything negative about this?" ......

What if they don't come to the games or give to Champs? It would be nice if they did, but we see Tech graduates being successful out in the business world. Believe it or not, that is the major mission of the University - to create successful graduates. The rest is just gravy.
    Gaylord, I mean Rockett,

You are so clueless! Was that negative? A simple question as in do they give to CHAMPS? How is that negative? Only a negative person could read negativity into that. The day that I stop recruiting Tech alumni to come to meetings or ask that they give to CHAMPS b/c they have been an alumni for 10 plus years and have NO freakin clue what CHAMPS is, then and only then will I quit asking people if they give to CHAMPS. When they become successful, partly due to the accomplishment of their Tech diploma, we start asking for the gravy. We do a crappy job of asking for money. So many people would give if they knew how. You and Mike Hollis need to put together a campaign and ask for money from the Greek system alumni.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

www.casadice.com

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Thanks for that response Rooster.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

There was nothing negative about that post. Believe it or not most schools "expect" their alumni to give back to the university.

I recently attended graduation at the University of Arkansas school of business. And the graduates were encouraged to stay in touch with the school and to give back in the form of donations. They are in much better shape than Tech but still don't have any problem asking for money.

They also give each graduate a year's free membership in the Alumni Association. Does Tech offer that?

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Gaylord, I mean Rockett,

You are so clueless! Was that negative? A simple question as in do they give to CHAMPS? How is that negative? Only a negative person could read negativity into that. The day that I stop recruiting Tech alumni to come to meetings or ask that they give to CHAMPS b/c they have been an alumni for 10 plus years and have NO freakin clue what CHAMPS is, then and only then will I quit asking people if they give to CHAMPS. When they become successful, partly due to the accomplishment of their Tech diploma, we start asking for the gravy. We do a crappy job of asking for money. So many people would give if they knew how. You and Mike Hollis need to put together a campaign and ask for money from the Greek system alumni.
    Mike Hollis has been gone from Tech for many years, thank goodness. A lady named Dee Dee Anderson is in charge now. I'm not sure what sort of alumni campaign they try to promote (probably not one), but she is definitely a step up from Hollis.

Student Life is an area where Tech has failed miserably in my opinion for many years. They do things pretty well on paper, but I know a LOT of students who have left Ruston vowing never to return. Hopefully that tide is changing, but I don't know. Unhappy students now means no support from young alumni in a few years. That makes Mr. Oakes' job much harder when it comes to selling tickets to that crowd.

Keeny Hall could stand several more changes, but a few changes have been made over the last few years that might improve things quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg
    Mike Hollis has been gone from Tech for many years, thank goodness. A lady named Dee Dee Anderson is in charge now. I'm not sure what sort of alumni campaign they try to promote (probably not one), but she is definitely a step up from Hollis.

Student Life is an area where Tech has failed miserably in my opinion for many years. They do things pretty well on paper, but I know a LOT of students who have left Ruston vowing never to return. Hopefully that tide is changing, but I don't know. Unhappy students now means no support from young alumni in a few years. That makes Mr. Oakes' job much harder when it comes to selling tickets to that crowd.

Keeny Hall could stand several more changes, but a few changes have been made over the last few years that might improve things quite a bit.
    Mike Hollis is disgusting.

www.casadice.com

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

Gaylord, I mean Rockett,

Mike Hollis has not been at Tech for about the last seven years.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg

How about some specifics??

Mike Hollis has not been at Tech for about the last seven years.
    I'm aware of that, I was being sarcastic b/c he was a thorn in the side of the Greek system while he was there. He is a low life, two faced, worst than the scum in my toilet joke of a man. He makes me angry.

Are you kidding about specifics? Don't get me started. Maybe Straydawg and Dawgbitten can elaborate b/c I don't want to use profanity.

www.casadice.com

+ Reply to Thread