+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real State of the University

Puppy bravis is an unknown bravis's Avatar

Re: Real State of the University

Rooster,
    you'd be glad to know that Dr. Jim King is working pretty hard on turning ruston into a college town, rather than a town with a college. there is a lot on the plate for the future of tech. it saddens me that i won't get to see it myself, being that i'll be graduating in about 2 and a half years, and the changes won't be in place until 5-10 years just because things take time.
    I agree with Mr. Rockett, if the student affairs department (i presume you were referring to when you said student life) has problems why don't you identify them, talk to the administration and your alumni association you keep defending so heavily, and try and fix them. it's so easy to whine and talk about the weak parts of TECH, but it's a little harder to do something about them i suppose? no, i don't think that way. there are areas that need improvement; if you think the tech administration doesn't know that, you're outlandish.
    i'd love to see the day when i can tell what tech students and alumni take pride in at louisiana tech. i'm not sure i've found that yet. only in the engineering department do people even joke over who has the better academic program. until that day all we will do is talk about what tech's problems are. identify them and fix them.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bravis
    Rooster,
    you'd be glad to know that Dr. Jim King is working pretty hard on turning ruston into a college town, rather than a town with a college. there is a lot on the plate for the future of tech. it saddens me that i won't get to see it myself, being that i'll be graduating in about 2 and a half years, and the changes won't be in place until 5-10 years just because things take time.
    I agree with Mr. Rockett, if the student affairs department (i presume you were referring to when you said student life) has problems why don't you identify them, talk to the administration and your alumni association you keep defending so heavily, and try and fix them. it's so easy to whine and talk about the weak parts of TECH, but it's a little harder to do something about them i suppose? no, i don't think that way. there are areas that need improvement; if you think the tech administration doesn't know that, you're outlandish.
    i'd love to see the day when i can tell what tech students and alumni take pride in at louisiana tech. i'm not sure i've found that yet. only in the engineering department do people even joke over who has the better academic program. until that day all we will do is talk about what tech's problems are. identify them and fix them.
    Stray, Dawgbitten,

Help me out w/ this guy.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bravis
    identify them and fix them.
    I appreciate what you're saying there buddy, but there is only so much fans can do without administrative support. The overwhelming majority of this board feels that a long-term strategic plan for Tech Athletics is going to be the cornerstone of any significant improvement. But that's something that has to be undertaken by the big, white tower ... and they wont hear of it.

As for the things fans CAN do ... I know you mean well but I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. Most of this Board's prominent posters are both season ticket holders and CHAMPS donors. And projects this online community has undertaken collectively include:

Season tickets (fball, mbball, wbball, baseball) for MCH kids.
    "Wear Blue" signage in Aillet.
    Stadium improvements at Love Field.
    Tuba covers for BOP.
    Sponsored air time on Tech radio broadcasts.
    Sponsored pages in gameday programs.
    A collective CHAMPS membership

This year's project will be to raise funds for brickwork and iron fencing around Aillet, in memory of our friend Dawgpound.

As far as "identifying problems and fixing them", I dont know if there is another Tech fan organization that can hold a candle to BB&B over the last 4 years. We are depending on folks like yourself and Rockett to challenge our (wholly unwarranted) negative image on campus. Thanks!

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967
    I appreciate what you're saying there buddy, but there is only so much fans can do without administrative support. The overwhelming majority of this board feels that a long-term strategic plan for Tech Athletics is going to be the cornerstone of any significant improvement. But that's something that has to be undertaken by the big, white tower ... and they wont hear of it.

As for the things fans CAN do ... I know you mean well but I'm afraid you're barking up the wrong tree. Most of this Board's prominent posters are both season ticket holders and CHAMPS donors. And projects this online community has undertaken collectively include:

Season tickets (fball, mbball, wbball, baseball) for MCH kids.
    "Wear Blue" signage in Aillet.
    Stadium improvements at Love Field.
    Tuba covers for BOP.
    Sponsored air time on Tech radio broadcasts.
    Sponsored pages in gameday programs.
    A collective CHAMPS membership

This year's project will be to raise funds for brickwork and iron fencing around Aillet, in memory of our friend Dawgpound.

As far as "identifying problems and fixing them", I dont know if there is another Tech fan organization that can hold a candle to BB&B over the last 4 years. We are depending on folks like yourself and Rockett to challenge our (wholly unwarranted) negative image on campus. Thanks!
    Thanks, That is what I wanted to say, I was just too angry to collect my thoughts.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

I'm lucky enough to be enrolled in one of the schools that Reneau is paying extra attention to and improving (Comp. Sci.), at the expense of other colleges and programs around the university. I must admit that my education so far has been top-notch, and that LSU's CS Dept. can't hold a candle to Tech's.

That being said, two of my absolute best friends here at Tech are athletes. The way that this administration treats both them and their sports is entirely unacceptable, in my opinion.

Not to reveal myself, but one of them is a member of our Tennis team. The manner is which this administration conducted themselves in regards to this squad is absolutely deplorable. It is this, not anything having to do with our "big 3" (football, MBB, and WBB) varsity teams, that has me calling for Jim Oakes's job. Thank goodness Terrance and the rest of the girls had the willpower to play through it all and end up with a strong season.

With this current administration, mediocrity is not only acceptable, it is encouraged.

Puppy mcm020 is an unknown

Luminaire, please don't gripe about the treatment of the freaking tennis team. I've seen some of the girls play and it's an embarrassment to 1A athletics. Sure we should support them, but try to put it in perspective. Local high school teams could hang with the teams tech posted wins against.
    Last edited by mcm020; 08-10-2004 at 07:14 PM.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

mcm ....

I really, really would NOT have gone there.

Here it comes ....

I know champ, but come on.. Women's Tennis?

Fine, man ... be like that. But there are some prominent posters hear who are close personal friends and family of the teams and the coach.

I am not personally a tennis fan. But those are Tech athletes you're talking about. So I support them. I've supported many losing Tech teams before, and there will probably be more. But I'd have to be pretty ticked off before posting something like you just did.

Not to mention your accusation of criminal activity that could cost somebody their job.

I hope you will strongly consider revising or deleting your post before someone with a personal attachment to the tennis program sees it.

I did not say don't support the tennis team I simply suggested that you shouldn't expect much if you're below par in a second class university sport. My comments were harsh and I apologize for that but I'm not going to delete the post.

In every other sport, especially football, I've seen athletes and staff held to tough scrutiny and I'm not going to let up because it's tennis.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I get to try the ignore button. This guy/girl has no credibility.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Sooner, Ignoring him is the best solution.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

If you saw post # 21 (prior to editing), you prob wouldn't do the "ignore" -- just to see what else might pop out. jmho

I vote for Champ967 as C.O.T.M.

(Counselor Of The Month)

Nice Job, Champ967.

Puppy bravis is an unknown bravis's Avatar

just wanted to apologize to all who took offense. it definitely was not my intent to offend anyone. i see a lot of complacency, and i hear a lot of people complain about stuff that can be fixed if they themselves work on it. i do a hell of a lot of barking on this campus, but as you can see from this, i haven't gotten good enough at it to keep me out of trouble..hence pissing off greatly supportive alumni on a message board. i didn't portray the message of my appreciation for the alumni and CHAMPS and of course BBB, so for that i apologize. i see things all over campus that you guys do and i wasn't undermining that at all. although, if you have even half the concerns with campus life as i do, we're probably on exactly the same page on every one of them. i definitely would like to hear some ideas about improving student life from some alumni. alumni can see the big picture, while i can only see the right now. if there's i can do on the student side of things, let me know bdd002@latech.edu .
    Last edited by bravis; 08-11-2004 at 09:36 PM. Reason: typos, sorry

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

I just dropped into this thread and was impressed by the maturity of your apology even though I haven't read the rest of the thread to see what you wrote to require an apology. Don't worry. We irritate one another daily!

+ Reply to Thread