+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Camp Ruston, 1942

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Camp Ruston, 1942

How many of us knew there was a "Camp Ruston" in 1942 which held over 4.3K prisoners of war at one point?

http://www.latech.edu/technews/viewn...&id=1092238419

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Re: Camp Ruston, 1942

I did, but only because I was a History Major at Tech. Really interesting stuff about Camp Ruston. One of the things I liked reading about was that a member of a U-boat crew was stationed there was a part of a secret mission to Japan towards the end of the war in Europe. A fellow Tech Alum wrote about it "Germany's Last Mission to Japan: The last mission of U-234" or something like that.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

My parents moved to Shreveport in 1941 because of Mother's polio, so it wasn't part of the family lore I heard about for that year. I was only 2 years old in 1942. I took Louisiana history in 1961, I think, from Dr. McGinty but don't remember it being in his textbook or lecture. He was a cousin of my father and graded me extra hard! I deserved that!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

The 2 surviving structures associated with Camp Ruston were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.

See http://www.crt.state.la.us/nhl2/sear...ston&pageno=16

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Man that place looks creepy.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Amazing.
    I can't believe that I spent almost as much time at Louisiana Tech as VegasDawg and never heard of Camp Ruston... much less found out where it is exactly. I need to see this place.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin
    Amazing.
    I can't believe that I spent almost as much time at Louisiana Tech as VegasDawg and never heard of Camp Ruston... much less found out where it is exactly. I need to see this place.
    yeah, before I moved from Ruston, I wanted to go see the site, but never did. Hopefully when I am back in town for Thanksgiving, I'll make the trip. I wonder what is left out there.....

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't read the maps very well, but it looks like the site was west of Grambling.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75
    I couldn't read the maps very well, but it looks like the site was west of Grambling.
    I have heard of the camp but never have visited it. It is about six miles west of Ruston where the current Ruston Development School is located (previously known as Ruston State School).
    Go Tech!

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin
    How many of us knew there was a "Camp Ruston" in 1942 which held over 4.3K prisoners of war at one point?

http://www.latech.edu/technews/viewn...&id=1092238419
    I did -

My great grandfather, P.D. Keen of Arcadia caught, two escapees from the camp and turned them over to the sheriff (I want to say Claiborne Parish)...

Actually the two poor souls (I-ties, I think) got seperated from a work party, got lost and he found them the next morning asleep in his barn...

My great grandmother feed them a good breakfast while they waited on the sheriff to arrive and then they went on their merry way...

I believe after the war, several of the POWS chose to remain in the area and marry into the locals...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden

I believe after the war, several of the POWS chose to remain in the area and marry into the locals...
    Yes, some of the POWs were allowed to immigrate and stay here after a period of time that the DOD, the then War Dept., saw that these people were not going to do anything against the US. There were some that wanted to stay, but they were sent back to their respective country. Those that were returned, did have the oppertunity to immigrate back to the US after going through the proccess long after 1945.

+ Reply to Thread