+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Your favorite Tech team of all time

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Your favorite Tech team of all time

Taking a cue from Lee's idea, how about we share our memories of our most favorite Tech teams ever?

I'll start. I'm sure I'll remember some things wrong, so you guys can correct me (but be gentle:icon_wink).

My favorite Tech football team was the 1973 Bulldogs. Being a freshman in the Tech BOP, I made most of the games.

Our terrific 12-1 season started, oddly, with a close loss at Eastern Michigan. I believe there was a field goal in that game which we felt was good, but was ruled no good. That loss broke a 14-game winning streak(the Bulldogs had gone 12-0 the previous season). The Bulldogs started another one the next week, though, beating the Ragin Cajuns. The following week a freshman kicker/punter named Jerry Pope, kicked a field goal at the end of the game to nip McNeese 10-7. Pope went on to have one of the best kicking careers in Tech history. Tech rolled through the rest of the season, having no close calls until the first-ever Division II national playoffs arrived. A close win over Western Illinois put Tech in the national semi-finals, and set up one of the most exciting college football games I have ever witnessed.

In cold and windy Wichita Falls, Texas, Tech took on Boise State in the Pioneer Bowl for the right to play in the first Division II national championship game. Tech appeared to be doomed late in the game, trailing Boise 34-31 with only about 20 seconds remaining. However, quarterback Denny Duron connected with Roger Carr on a touchdown pass, giving Tech a 38-34 win. The next week was anti-climatic as Tech beat Western Kentucky 34-0 in the Camelia Bowl played in Sacramento, California (that was my first plane ride).

The 1973 team included 14 players who later played pro football. Some of the more notable ones were Carr, Fred Dean, Roland Harper, Mike Barber, Pat Tilley and Billy Ryckman.

Tech would rip off 11 straight wins the next season before losing in the national semi-finals to Central Michigan to end the 23-game streak. The 'Dogs have never again approached that sort of winning streak.

The winning streak would have been 38 except for that close loss at E. Michigan to start the 1973 season.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: Your favorite Tech team of all time

I was a senior in high school the year we went to the Indy Bowl and tied Maryland.

Watching Eric Shaw manhandle people from the right DE spot that year was tons of fun. Our O line as I recall was Willie Roaf, Alan Apple, Trey Snodgrass, and Glenn Hunt. What a great line to block for J.D.

And, who could forget the Fabulous Baker Boys on defense?

I still have my ticket stub from the Colorado St. game and I distinctly remember the goal post coming down. I sat on the east sideline for that game and I remember how wild it got when Bobby Slaughter caught the go-ahead TD from Gene Johnson (?) with just a few minutes to go. Then, with under a minute left, the whole east side started holding up two fingers and chanting "Peace, Peace, Peace..." I get goosebumps thinking about it.

If Shaw hadn't acted like a thug and shot up some door in Grambling, he could have played in the Indy Bowl and we probably would have won by two TDs. However, given that it was our first year in D-1A, I couldn't complain about a tie and I respected Joe Raymond for making the tough decision to keep Shaw on the sidelines.
    Last edited by StrayDawg; 08-27-2004 at 12:23 AM.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

The 1973-74 team was a joy for this then senior in high svhool to watch. Roger Carr was excellent in the Homecoming Game that year against...sorry, CRS has set in! I believe it was a 44-0 game!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg
    I was a senior in high school the year we went to the Indy Bowl and tied Maryland.

Watching Eric Shaw manhandle people from the right DE spot that year was tons of fun. Our O line as I recall was Willie Roaf, Alan Apple, Trey Snodgrass, and Glenn Hunt. What a great line to block for J.D.

I still have my ticket stub from the Colorado St. game and I distinclty remember the goal post coming down. I sat on the east sideline for that game and I remember how wild it got when Bobby Slaughter caught the go-ahead TD from Gene Johnson (?) with just a few minutes to go. Then, with under a minute left, the whole east side started holding up two fingers and chanting "Peace, Peace, Peace..." I get goosebumps thinking about it.

If Shaw hadn't acted like a thug and shot up some door in Grambling, he could have played in the Indy Bowl and we probably would have won by two TDs. However, given that it was our first year in D-1A, I couldn't complain about a tie and I respected Joe Raymond for making the tough decision to keep Shaw on the sidelines.
    Thats my favorite team too. Great o-line , great defense , two good rb's , Bobby at WR , Johnson @ QB , WOW! They took crap from no one. I was a fresh. that year and I was spoiled. I thought we'd be back to a bowl game almost every year.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I think my favorite team would be the 1968 team when Terry Bradshaw took over at QB his junior year. The previous 2 years we had gone 1-9 and 3-7 and this was Maxie Lambright's second year as HC. I think the pass to Ken Liberto at the state fair game really set the tone for the rest of the season as well as the following season. We had just lost close games back to back to USL and McNeese. That play has to go down in college football history as one of the greatest plays ever. I will never forget it. Some issues of the Times actually had NSU winning 39-35. We beat 4 Division I teams that year on the way to a 9-2 season and a win in the Grantland Rice Bowl. It was also the first season in JAS.

2005 Bowl Confidence Contest Champion LaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the rough LaTechRandy's Avatar

Gotta be the 84-85 Men's Basketball team. Of course I'm biased because I was on campus at the time and March Madness was unbelievable! I still see Tisdale's shot rotate around the rim (burning 3 precious seconds off the clock) and drop in to beat us in the Sweet 16 game when I close my eyes. Ahh to be back at Tech and see the Mailman motoring around campus in his dark blue IROC.

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

I loved to watch Joe McNeely especially when we played Northeast. He really enjoyed putting it to them.

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

As a kid, I remember going early to the old football stadium (where A.E. Phillips in now) and watching David Lee (punter) warm up. He was probably the best punter that I ever saw at Tech. He played professionally for the Baltimore Colts for a number of years.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

My favorite Louisiana Tech team was the 1997 team that upset Alabama in Tuscaloosa (at the Tide's homecoming) and Cal in Shreveport. The '97 team finished 9-2, and was led by future 49'er QB Tim Rattay, RB Bobby Ray Tell and TE Josh Bradley. The '97 team was exciting to watch and surprised everyone with these special wins over top schools from the SEC and the PAC 10.

The success of the '97 team gave Tech recruiting a big boost (e.g., Luke McCown in '99), and served as a catalyst for Tech's future appearances on national TV against Nebraska and Florida State. It was also the beginning of Tech's new reputation as a "giant killer" in college football. It put Tech football "on the Div 1A map" and helped Tech gain an eventual invitation to the WAC.

HD

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

That '97 team was the first Tech team I ever really watched (which narrows my choices for this question). It definitely sucked me into Bulldog football with that offense. But you forgot to mention a certain future first-round WR. Rattay to Edwards was beautiful.
    Last edited by inudesu; 06-29-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

You're right. I forgot to mention Troy Edwards. Troy could score more TD's in a single game than most WR's could in a whole year.

That '97 team was very special. It's amazing what a season with 9 wins can do for a program. We ought to try it again.

HD

You guys are just too young. Like I said in an earlier post, let's go back to when the football stadium was where A.E. Phillips is now. The art building (old Wilson Cafeteria) was where the parking was. The swimming pool was the football practice field. When you went ob on the west side of the practice field, you rolled all the way to Tech Drive down the hill. The baseball field was where Neilson and Caruthers are and you could hear Berry Hinton hollaring all over campus. The tennis courts (2 of them) were were the education building parking lot is now.

I was going to A.E. Phillips then and it was located where the Wyly Tower parking lot is now. My first memory of Tech football was in the very early 60's I believe, with the towering punts of David Lee. I believe he was from Minden.

The old Gulf States Conference !!

Now those are some memories !!

During my college days 1969-73, we had some outstanding teams. I went on the Baptist Student Union bus to the Pioneer Bowl (?) in Witchita Falls, Texas when Roger Carr caught a pass from Denny Duron at the very end of the game to win probably the most exciting game I have ever witnessed. Most people do not remember that just prior to that play we had a 4th down situation that we only made by an inch or two. The BSU bus broke down so we did not get there until at the end of the first quarter and I believe we were down two touchdowns. The wind was blowing almost gail force and we were against it that quarter. Anyway, we came back and won and the crowd went crazy and ran out on the field after the game. I believe that the Wyly brothers chartered about 10-12 buses for Tech students to go to the game. That was very kind and generous of them and made the crowd much larger supporting the dogs. We needed everything we could get that day.

I remember when we were happy when the opposing teams would pin us down on the 1 yard line so that Mike Barber could get isolated on a linebacker and catch a 99 yard touchdown pass. Of course, he was fast enough that it really didn't matter if a corner or safety tried to cover him. It was just more fun when the linebacker was 20 yards behind him when he made the catch.

The State Fair game against Northwestern when NSU scored right at the end of the game and "had it won". NSU was in a prevent defense buy somehow Ken Liberto (I think was the receiver) split the seam and Terry Bradshaw hit him for the game winning TD. Tech fans were already out on the midway when they heard the roar. I was not there, but I listened to it on the radio. This was sometime in the late 60's.

"Quick Six" McDaniels
    Roland Harper
    Denny Duron
    Pat Tilley
    Mike Barber
    Roger Carr
    Mean Fred Dean
    Joe McNeely
    Terry Bradshaw
    Bob Brunet
    Ronnie Alexander
    Ed Jackson & the infamous Ed Jackson Bowl !!

Just a few of the oldies !

Just to name of few of the oldies.

Lots of history of Tech football.

+ Reply to Thread