+ Reply to Thread

Thread: State and T logo origins

Bulldog MattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around hereMattEE has turned a few heads around here MattEE's Avatar

State and T logo origins

Hello all,

I had a question. I know why are mascot is a bulldog, but I was wondering when did our logo first appear. As far as the state and T design. I think that we have one of the most succint and represenative logos of any univeristy, and it looks good too (this a bit of an understatement). I hope it never changes. So any help to the origins or anyone's musings on the subject of our logo would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Matthew Bellott
    Senior in the bowels of hell (also called Electrical Engineering)

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: State and T logo origins

Quote Originally Posted by MattEE
    Hello all,

I had a question. I know why are mascot is a bulldog, but I was wondering when did our logo first appear. As far as the state and T design. I think that we have one of the most succint and represenative logos of any univeristy, and it looks good too (this a bit of an understatement). I hope it never changes. So any help to the origins or anyone's musings on the subject of our logo would be very much appreciated.

Thanks very much,

Matthew Bellott
    Senior in the bowels of hell (also called Electrical Engineering)
    The best knowledge I can share with you is from a small feature I did for The Tech Talk in '74 or '75. I was wanting to use the logo in my TT column heading and I sought out Coach Maxie Lambright for permission. Coach Lambright shared with me that in the early 1970s, he had Professor Raymond Nichols in the Arts and Sciences College to draw it up for him. So, the two share credit.
    I agree, perhaps a most unique logo, which is all a university can ask for.

If anyone has another take on this, please feel welcome to share.

tm
    www.printroom.com/pro/TMoPhotos
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

Yep, that is pretty much what I have always heard. The story is that it was actually Coach Lambright's idea which he sketched crudely on a napkin, and then asked the Art guys to clean it up. I agree that the logo is one of the best in the nation, and is clearly representative of our school. With no prior knowledge at all, one could see the logo and figure out the University it represents.

I think it is also great that it has remained a constant for over 30 years, and has only undergone slight variations (e.g. the original logo featured a "T" that rose higher above the outline of the state than the current look of the "T" which sits flush against top of the state).

Moreover, with the exception of a "varsity stripe" that appeared for a time in the middle of the helmet, the red helmet with the Louisiana "T" has been constant for these three decades. This maintains tradition and quick identity. FWIW, I love the fact that we went back to using the Terry Bradshaw era jerseys too. It is cool to see the picture of Bradshaw in his Tech uniform, and the current Dogs wearing the same look. Class and tradition. I love it.

Puppy Sundog is an unknown

I too think that we have one of the best Logos in the nation. If I am going to buy a Tech T shirt, hat, whatever...I always try to find one with the State & T.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Just a simple, classic design. I hope they never change it.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

TOM, that's another fine batch of game photos on your sale site!

Maybe you'll top what you did last season or some other year, but still some of the old ones are keepers to me!

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Thanks, as always, Aub.
    Somehow, sometime I'm gonna move some of the old photos to this new site.
    tm

www.printroom.com/pro/TMoPhotos
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread